• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mixed Martial Arts

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Giambiwannabe7

Sixth Man
Reaction score
Never really even thought about MMA in RCF, but as I looked around and entered this Other Sports Forum I was a little surprised there was no MMA thread. MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in both popularity and participation. There are a ton of great things constantly going on, and it being a non-seasonal sport really appeals to me. Right now, the newest version of TUF(The Ultimate Fighter) is in mid-season form, with one of the craziest knockout kicks I have ever seen just going down a couple weeks ago. The latest edition of UFC featured a female main event for the first time in UFC history. Of course reigning champ Ronda Roussey won with an arm bar, but it was actually a pretty entertaining fight for the little bit it lasted.

Looking ahead, the next fight I am really looking forward to is GSP(George St Pierre) vs Nick Diaz(couple weeks on PPV). GSP has some serious ill will for Diaz because he feels like the dude has no class. GSP is one of the most feared and respected fighters in MMA right now. He is one half of the super fight so many are dying to see: GSP vs Anderson "Spider" Silva, who many consider the pound for pound best fighter in the sport today. UFC President Dana White seems to think a bigger fight would be Silva vs Jon Bones Jones, the sports preeminant up n comer today, and has planted the seed to get something in ink within the year.

Bellatore also offers some excellent fighters, and they currently have a nice tournament going on. They show a lot of live fights on Spike right now, the next ones being this Thursday. There's 2 middleweight fights and 2 featherweight fights, all semifinals, to determine finals matchups on Mar 21.

I used to be a huge boxing fan, but with all the transgressions over the last couple of decades they have really lost a ton of support, with many questioning the integrity of what used to be a great sport. MMA is pretty much supplanting it's long held spot at the top of fighting sports, and is finally start to get past the notion that is just a couple of dudes barbarically beating the brains out of each other(although the good thing is it's definitely got an element of that!). But, these are highly skilled, incredibly fit athletes that are as well conditioned as the top athletes in the world, and maybe even more than most.

Anyways, this seems like an overdue thread. Kind of interested to see how many RCF'ers are as into MMA as I am.

I'm a huge Diaz Bros fan, I have no faith in Nick against GSP. After I saw what Benson did to Nate, its gonna be the same fight with a lot more damage coming from GSP.

Bellator has some good fights but not really into it. They put a lot on the line with King Mo and he got KTFO. They don't have the big name that draws. Eddie Alvarez who knows the story with him, but he is their biggest name and he's a free agent but in a messed up contract situation.

Big fan here. TUF has been a revelation this season, the way they changed the presentation really made a big difference (from reality tv to more like a documentary) plus the talent level has improved.

Looking forward to GSP giving Nick Diaz a beatdown worse than what Nate Diaz got from Bendo. This is up next:

1361484147-605x360_FUELTV8_SILVAvsSTANN_DAY.jpg

While I don't follow Bellator that much, I keep tabs on other promotions such as URCC (Philippines) and OneFC (Singapore/Asia). Its truly an exciting time to be a fan right now as a lot of up and comers and changes are happening.

Still not a fan of how other fighters have gotten their title shots e.g. Pettis VS Aldo, Sonnen VS Jones as the UFC prioritized PPV buys before next-in-line contenders.

Also #rallyformarkhunt

Just noticed this thread :thumbup: . Pretty excited about tomorrows card a lot of solid fights on there. And speaking about tuf this season has been way better then the last couple hands down, That Uriah Hall KO was a thing of beauty.
G-Brutal-spinning-heel-kick-knockout-Uriah-Hall-vs-Cella-in-TUF-17.gif

Just noticed this thread :thumbup: . Pretty excited about tomorrows card a lot of solid fights on there. And speaking about tuf this season has been way better then the last couple hands down, That Uriah Hall KO was a thing of beauty.
G-Brutal-spinning-heel-kick-knockout-Uriah-Hall-vs-Cella-in-TUF-17.gif

Considering its gonna be on Fuel (free) its a very stacked card. Although Silva VS Stann may not hold much weight for whoever wins, Hunt VS Struve will potentially start a path for the next heavyweight contender (Struve has been on a roll and is showing a lot of new skills), and they have been trying to build up Lombard ever since they signed him.

I'm pretty much with you guys on Bellatore. There is a definite drop off in talent from the UFC, but I like how they have mid week, live fights, and these guys are bangin on very little between fight rest. I gotta give em props for that. And King Mo is a punk. He was on that reality show about the next great tat artist and acted like a complete bitch the entire time he was getting inked. Lost mad respect for him, and never thought he was some great fighter to begin with.

Thanks for the reminder about tonight's FREE card on Fuel TV. Silva is definitely not the fighter he once was, but I think he and Stann are a good matchup. Should be interesting, but I'm going out on a limb and saying Stann. Stefan Struve is a fucking giant of a man. How many dudes go 7 foot and say fuck hoops...and it ends up being a good choice?! Dude can drop some bombs and has had some pretty impressive submissions, although I feel like he hasn't learned how to use his height/length advantages completely yet. Mark Hunt has a severe disadvantage in length, but the dude is tough as nails. He needs to stay tight on Struve to have any chance at all, imo. If he lets Struve get range he's in big trouble. Tak Gomi vs Diego Sanchez has decent potential, as well. I used to love Diego when he first started coming up, but he's never been consistant with his training, and his lack of top physical shape has hurt him. He's been an underachiever for most of his career. HOWEVER, with that being said, I still love watching this dude fight. He doesn't back down from anyone, gives a ton of heart, and is never afraid to go toe to toe and trade shots. His fight vs Clay Carpenter Guida was about as fun a fight as you'll see from a pure entertainment perspective. Gomi was the pride of Pride for quite some time, but his intro to UFC wasn't quite as kind to him, as Kenny Florian showed everyone the talent disparity between UFC and the rest of the bunch. He has had a couple of decent victories since, though, and was in pretty damn good shape his last couple fights. Should be a good matchup stylistically, but I'm going with Diego(pretty much hate picking against him). Diego would be wise to return to his old Nightmare self, but I'm not sure that ever happens. You never know with that dude, as he is one strange cat. Love the intensity, though. I've never been a big fan of Hector Lumbard. Lots of hype for a dude who is now 35(or close I think), but he does have some good skills. Okami is going to try and control him and Lumbard is gonna want to end it early. This may be close to a do or die fight for Hector.

There's a bunch more fights tonight, as well, but those are the main ones. Glad to see some MMA fans in this place. Looking forward to see where this thread goes.

Last edited:
I don't really know a whole lot about it yet, but I do watch the big events and like to get drunk and rowdy during them. :chuckles: I'll be at the bar for that GSP fight I assure you.

Gotta disagree with you about King Mo. I've actually talked to him on the phone for a report I did and he was probably one of the coolest guys ever. He talked for about 20 minutes and he's really well educated on the sport. I remember during one of Rogans podcast he was saying Mo was jist a freak of nature athlete, who dumped people while wrestling. He's a huge pro wrestling fan, but needs to cut the shit out with TNA and focus on MMA.

Also, the Rousey Carmouche fight was amazing. I was at the Rousey Tate fight and that was a great fight. The ppv I guess got 400-450k buys. Rousey could be a legit star.

#rallyformarkhunt

Gotta disagree with you about King Mo. I've actually talked to him on the phone for a report I did and he was probably one of the coolest guys ever. He talked for about 20 minutes and he's really well educated on the sport. I remember during one of Rogans podcast he was saying Mo was jist a freak of nature athlete, who dumped people while wrestling. He's a huge pro wrestling fan, but needs to cut the shit out with TNA and focus on MMA.

Also, the Rousey Carmouche fight was amazing. I was at the Rousey Tate fight and that was a great fight. The ppv I guess got 400-450k buys. Rousey could be a legit star.

#rallyformarkhunt
I 2nd this. King mo has co hosted a mma podcast i listen quite a few times and he really is quite knowledgeable on the sport and comes off as a laid back funny dude. But i can understand why some people dislike him, one of my friends hates him because he thinks he is a cocky fighter. Here are my picks for tonight's main card-

Stann,Struve,Sanchez, Lombard,Yahya, Kim. 2 fights that are up in the air for me are the Hunt & Siyar fight because both of those guys have so much power behind their punches and we have seen Struve get KO'ed like 4 times already and Kim get put to sleep by Condit. In the end ill probably stick with the fighters I posted above just because the fact that both have missed significant time and I believe in ring rust.

Eh, King Mo definitely has some skill and knowledge, or he wouldn't have gotten as far as he has. I thought the guy was a big up and comer, then I saw him on Ink Master and I couldn't believe what an absolute puss he was:chuckles: I mean, it really doesn't have anything to do with his fighting skills, was just surprised he couldn't handle getting a tat. Thought he was gonna cry.

But, in all honesty, I was really surprised with him in the Newton fight the other day. Could not believe Mo's approach to that fight. To me, he has always been a cocky dude, but as he faces better competiton I think he may start showing more weaknesses. He showed no respect for Newton and ended up paying for it hardcore. He just looked like he was begging to get knocked out. But, he's still young and smart enough to learn from this. His next few fights should say a lot about who he is, imo.

Can't wait for some good, free fights tonight.

Geesh... Mark Hunt is still banging? How long ago was he in K1 and Pride? Tough dude, but its gotta be nearing time for him to hang it up....

A great finish to a decent night of fights last night. The fights got better, imo, as the card got closer to the main event. Rani Yahya looks primed to make a name for himself after fairly easily controlling his fight vs Hirota. There wasn't ever a question in my mind who had that fight after the first minute or so. His ju-jitsu is some of the best in the UFC. Okami completely dominated Lombard. Lombard looked confused and tentative the whole fight. He came out with a flurry of punches in the 3rd round that made me pause for about 45 seconds, but he tired out quickly, and the fight was never really a contest again. The Sanchez/Gomi fight.....eesh. Diego basically makes me a prophet after questioning his dedication when he comes in overweight. Then he somehow wins a decision he had no business winning, imo. I couldn't believe when they raised his hand. It wasn't the typical Sanchez fight, either. I was expecting way more action than what I saw. Diego appears to be getting soft or something. Definitely not the "nightmare" anymore. Mark Hunt and Struve was a ctually a pretty good match, but the finish was awesome. I'm not sure we ever heard what the score was, but I had Struve ahead late in the fight when, wham!! Hunt caught him hard with a combo that actually broke Struve's jaw. The way Hunt just walks away from his knockouts just cracks me up. It was weird, though. For a second, I wasn't sure if the fight was over...and either was Herb Dean by the looks of it. This was a big loss for Struve. He was on a bit of a roll there. It's his own fault, though. You don't drop your hands and stick your jaw out against Mark Hunt you fucking idiot. He's young, so I hope he learns from this.

The main event....man, do I love fights like this. Two tough as nails brawlers who won't back down from anyone. They pretty much saved the night, as the rest of the card was average at best. These two made it all worthwhile, though. I really thought Stann had him, blasting him with a flurry punches on numerous occasions, and knocking him down at least twice. Silva was battling back, as well, but I'm not sure his knockdowns weren't actually slips....well, until the last one. That definitely was no slip. Wow. He caught him and caught him hard. Gotta give Silva credit. He's a legend. Just when I thought he may start entering Liddell territory, he showed he still has it.

Last edited:
Glad i made $40 bucks off one of my buddies who gave me $20 to $5 for taking hunt, $15 to $5 for taking okami & Sanchez Against gomi For $5 straight up , good night overall cause he paid for all my drinks last night :chuckles: . Couple things the main-event was just awesome I thought for sure Wandy was done in the first round when the were trading punches and he looked woobly a couple times but he took the punches and got the finish he should have some interesting match-ups in LHW division. Mark Hunt almost gave me a damn heart attack for some reason he would stay in Struves guard and wasn't looking to escape i thought he was going to get subbed a good 4-5 times. For some reason though struve made even more bonehead moves by abandoning the full mount twice for arm bar attempts. Just like that Okami has removed 2 title contenders in a row in Belcher and Lombard. That fight was pretty lobsided imo but in the 3rd round i looked like Okami was gassed and i thought we were going to get another Tim Boetcsh style comeback. I cosign that Sanchez/gomi comment he shouldnt have won but since i got sum money out of it i wasn't complaining :chuckles:

Glad i made $40 bucks off one of my buddies who gave me $20 to $5 for taking hunt, $15 to $5 for taking okami & Sanchez Against gomi For $5 straight up , good night overall cause he paid for all my drinks last night :chuckles: . Couple things the main-event was just awesome I thought for sure Wandy was done in the first round when the were trading punches and he looked woobly a couple times but he took the punches and got the finish he should have some interesting match-ups in LHW division. Mark Hunt almost gave me a damn heart attack for some reason he would stay in Struves guard and wasn't looking to escape i thought he was going to get subbed a good 4-5 times. For some reason though struve made even more bonehead moves by abandoning the full mount twice for arm bar attempts. Just like that Okami has removed 2 title contenders in a row in Belcher and Lombard. That fight was pretty lobsided imo but in the 3rd round i looked like Okami was gassed and i thought we were going to get another Tim Boetcsh style comeback. I cosign that Sanchez/gomi comment he shouldnt have won but since i got sum money out of it i wasn't complaining :chuckles:

Ya, Struve showed his age throughout that whole fight. No way he should have lost, but I give Hunt credit for wiggling out of a few subs and keeping the pressure on Struve late. Just cannot get over the idiocy, though, of dropping your guard and lowering your head to a banger like Hunt when you are 7 freegin feet tall!!! Hello, jackass!

FWIW, Silva said after the fight he will not fight LHW after this. It was basically done because he has a ton of respect for Stann and thought it would be a great fight for fans. He thinks guys are just too strong up there for him, so he'll be dropping back down. But, thankfully for us fans, it sounds like the retirement talks should be put to rest for a bit.

Ya, Struve showed his age throughout that whole fight. No way he should have lost, but I give Hunt credit for wiggling out of a few subs and keeping the pressure on Struve late. Just cannot get over the idiocy, though, of dropping your guard and lowering your head to a banger like Hunt when you are 7 freegin feet tall!!! Hello, jackass!

FWIW, Silva said after the fight he will not fight LHW after this. It was basically done because he has a ton of respect for Stann and thought it would be a great fight for fans. He thinks guys are just too strong up there for him, so he'll be dropping back down. But, thankfully for us fans, it sounds like the retirement talks should be put to rest for a bit.
Seriously I didn't know that. I knew Stann said it was a 1 time thing ,but i could have swore i read somewhere Wandy said the weight cut was getting harder and his new home would be LHW , I could be wrong though.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."