• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Ratings System

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should we remove downvoting ("Disagree" and "Old")?

• Total voters
When I don't have a lot of time or am skimming the thread, I use the rating system to determine whether or not I'm going to read a post.

If I see five likes, I'll read it. If I see a couple informatives, I'll read it. If I see five dislikes, I'll read it to see the likely horrible take/trolling attempt.

If we're going to keep dumping off more ratings like we did to that rainbow and the bad spelling ones, I say we remove them all except the like just to save time.

I'm not in favor of bumping the two off, but if we do, might as well get rid of them all except one like it was when the "Thanks" button existed.

Last edited:
When I don't have a lot of time or am skimming the thread, I use the rating system to determine whether or not I'm going to read a post.

If I see five likes, I'll read it. If I see a couple informatives, I'll read it. If I see five dislikes, I'll read it to see the likely horrible take/trolling attempt.

If we're going to keep dumping off more ratings like we did to that rainbow and the bad spelling ones, I say we remove them all except the like just to save time.

I'm not in favor of bumping the two off, but if we do, might as well get rid of them all except one like it was when the "Thanks" button existed.
You know you attempt to read my post no matter what its rated. no one can pass up on a car wreck in action

Speaking of always reading, what posters do you read no matter what? My list is 4 right now.

Ben
Max
MoFlo
Wine and Gold

I always read my posts. Because let's face. They are some of the funniest things this board has to offer.

I haven't been around that long, but it seems like the disagree button elicits a pretty strong reaction from those who receive them, especially if the poster is a longstanding member here or a staff member or whatnot. I remember one time I disagreed with a staff member about David Blatt and it started a big thing. It seems like the disagree is viewed as a pretty big slap in the face rather than simply "i disagree with you on this particular topic". For that reason, I have not found myself using the disagree or old ratings much at all, because I view us all as a sort of fraternity (i use that term loosely, recognizing there are female posters as well) who love the Cavs and so in that vein I guess I wouldn't want to just bitch slap someone with that down rating if that's how it's being taken. I'll argue verbally for a point til I'm blue in the face but I found that the connotation of the down ratings is just too strong on this site and I think people take a lot of pride in their cumulative ratings at the site so I try and rarely use the down ratings.

Sometimes I admit I will 'pile on' and if someone has posted and gotten like 8 disagrees, I just say oh fuck it and make myself #9. :)

I've definitely learned a lot from reading you all's posts and expect to learn a lot more as time goes on. There's definitely a bit of an 'initiation' vibe when you start out here, but it seems like if you don't cross the line people will start to react to you positively after a while.

I'm not a fan of down rating in general especially without comment or explanation. Also I want all positives to count towards the golden penis otherwise I might cry. I'm nearly half way not bad for a decades work

I Voted No.
Even though these ratings are often misused, I think the benefits outweighs that,
I am quite sure that lots of negative, cheap language, trolling etc. posts, are not written or at least refined due to the ratings.

Yes there are a few trolls who don't care, but at least they are called out by 25 negative ratings, so that the normal people know what the majority thinks of the post, and know not to burn valuable time and effort, trying to argue back.

It's more commonly refining dissenting opinions and making this board a solidified pro cavs propaganda piece.

There really hasn't been a good argument for the button, plenty against. What's it take like two seconds to get rid of it?

It just doesn't provide a benefit. Catalyst to more fighting. Greatly reduces the quality of the site and bb convo.

Do much energy could be saved by mods and posters by just getting rid of it. There is no benefit.

The effect has certainly not been the intended one. I personally have no issue with them- people are free to disagree with my opinions and no, they don't owe me an explanation if they do. Merica. I also don't care about my rating, as long as it stays high enough to maintain my access to s34 and s35.

However, it does appear to stymie dissenting opinions on here due to fears of bad ratings and that just isn't right. It appears to only be adding to the flames and leads to personal tiffs. This is why I don't use it more- people take it so personally. Probably best to either do away with them.

speaking of ratings does anyone else interpret the 'creative' rating sarcastically as 'you're full of shit and making this up' or is that just my baggage showing through?

I use Creative a lot, so occasionally, yes that's certainly is an option. I'd say it's about 50/50 with me. Maybe 70/30, from sincere to sarcastic. I mean, who among us doesn't have a passive-aggressive a-hole side? :bigthumbup:

As soon as I read that I thought "Hmm..that sounds familiar"...but no not in that one. I never would've connected Ray Allen into that in a million years, so point to you.

You rated Adam's post
clear.png
Creative in the thread LeBron James (re-signs, 1 year + 1 year player option).

lebrons broken jumper is the real cost of not having ray allen. He would be the guy to get lebron to believe in mechanics and he would be a...

Today at 9:27 AM :chuckle:

For me, more useful than a revamped voting system would be a rating number for individual posters. Right now I look in the avy at join date messages and likes and do some shitty averaging and decide of the poster is worth reading. I'd rather a score for the individual in their avy like a poster per. Number of posts, number of liked posts, number of threads started with pver 100 posts, minus times banned divided by Austin Carrs number. Something super sciencey like that.

*****edit
My PP (poster PER) is 22.7

I don't use the disagree button because I know it annoys most people. I disagree with people here all the time. If it strikes a nerve with me, I'll reply. I don't feel the need to press "disagree" just for the sake of it being known without actually adding something to the discussion.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."