• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Soccer/Football Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!! POOOORTUGAL!! So crazy these past weeks, wow. I mean Cleveland wins its first championship in a miracle way and now Portugal finally wins its first title against the old enemy in their country after losing in 2004 in Portugal.

I'm so happy guys!!

d859d40a38a607645fe33cd11cb9e010.jpg

Last edited:
Man, what a sports year till now:

• Leicester BPL winners (not a Leicester fan, but as a small club I simply loved it);
  • Cavs NBA Champions (oh yeahhhhh!)
  • Portugal EURO Champions (what are the chances of this happening in the SAME year?)

What is going to happen next? My perennial loser football team winning something relevant?
I'm starting to believe it...

Kyrie trying to pull a Ronaldo. Hoefully, doesn't replicate his injury.

Hahah, Kyrie would be in a lot of trouble, since while CR is the iron man, KI is sadly almost made of porcelaine. It was really sad to see Cristiano go off like that, since like him or not you got to respect the fact that he's always ready to play, sometimes even when he shouldn't for his own sake.

As I've posted before, despite being portuguese (actually we're born in the same town) I'm not a big Ronaldo fan. But I was really happy he was on the first portuguese international champion team. I do not really appreciate his demeanor, prefer other style player, but I respect the fact he always want to play for the international team and seems to truly feel our colours.

Being an international star and from a small country with small odds it'd be easy to save himself for his club battles. I've been very critical when I felt he did wrongs, but got to give the guy credit, he's truly an unique kind of competitive beast.

Who's ready for the start of (real) football season tomorrow?!? I'm pumped. Predictions? Thoughts? Hit me.

@The Red Viper @Damien O'Connel @spydy13 @CavsPT @brownindian @kookoo @Lionheart @kosis any of you fine gentlemen watching today?

I was surprised by the Leicester loss, but more than that, I am really intrigued by how many BPL teams are playing with three in the back. The past two years that never happened, because most clubs in England were playing with only one striker, making three in the back ineffective. But so far today both Watford and Everton are playing 3-4-3 with a roamer. Rumor is Chelsea will play with three in the back, too. It should be interesting.

Last edited:
@The Red Viper @Damien O'Connel @spydy13 @CavsPT @brownindian @kookoo @Lionheart @kosis any of you fine gentlemen watching today?

I was surprised by the Leicester loss, but more than that, I am really intrigued by how many BPL teams are playing with three in the back. The past two years that never happened, because most clubs in England were playing with only one striker, making three in the back ineffective. But so far today both Watford and Everton are playing 3-4-3 with a roamer. Rumor is Chelsea will play with three in bas, too. It should be interesting.

City with a lucky win, I feel sorry for David Moyes.

With Terry, Cahil and Ivanovic being our fit center back - No way Chelsea can afford to play 3 at the back. I think we may have the oldest and slowest centerback offerings in EPL. I was expecting Chelsea to have bought a top class CB by now - but am surprised that we are standing PAT and concentrating on Lukaku.

Tomorow's Pool Vs Arsenal game will also be interesting. Considering ARsenals Defensive Injuries, they too are in trouble.

City with a lucky win, I feel sorry for David Moyes.

With Terry, Cahil and Ivanovic being our fit center back - No way Chelsea can afford to play 3 at the back. I think we may have the oldest and slowest centerback offerings in EPL. I was expecting Chelsea to have bought a top class CB by now - but am surprised that we are standing PAT and concentrating on Lukaku.

Tomorow's Pool Vs Arsenal game will also be interesting. Considering ARsenals Defensive Injuries, they too are in trouble.
Conte is historically a fan of three in the back, but a lot of that has to do with being in Italy. Don't forget, though, your CBs aren't as important with three in the back because your wing-backs cover, the CB is a roamer. Terry and Cahil would be perfect. Ivanovic is definitely not ideal, but against teams like Man City that play a 4-4-2, I think it would behoove you guys to play three in the back.

Conte is historically a fan of three in the back, but a lot of that has to do with being in Italy. Don't forget, though, your CBs aren't as important with three in the back because your wing-backs cover, the CB is a roamer. Terry and Cahil would be perfect. Ivanovic is definitely not ideal, but against teams like Man City that play a 4-4-2, I think it would behoove you guys to play three in the back.

The problem with playing these 3 at the back is that our lack of pace will be exploited very easily. The only safe option will be to play deep but that will lead to gaps between the defense and the midfield that can be exploited. We badly need a good CB (We have been needing one for 2 years now) and this transfer market is insane. The only hope as a Chelsea fans is to hope that we can score more than West Ham.

The problem with playing these 3 at the back is that our lack of pace will be exploited very easily. The only safe option will be to play deep but that will lead to gaps between the defense and the midfield that can be exploited. We badly need a good CB (We have been needing one for 2 years now) and this transfer market is insane. The only hope as a Chelsea fans is to hope that we can score more than West Ham.
If you guys could get a smart, pacy CB you would be fine. They don't even need to be elite, especially with three in the back, just someone like a Daley Blind who knows where to be on the pitch. Why are you guys focusing on Lukaku instead of a CB? I know Romelo is an outstanding striker, but it seems like the more impactful position would be right in front of the keeper, not a scorer.

If you guys could get a smart, pacy CB you would be fine. They don't even need to be elite, especially with three in the back, just someone like a Daley Blind who knows where to be on the pitch. Why are you guys focusing on Lukaku instead of a CB? I know Romelo is an outstanding striker, but it seems like the more impactful position would be right in front of the keeper, not a scorer.

I wish I knew the answer to that one. Instead of spending 75 million on one Romelu Lukaku, We can get 2 or 3 great players. The other crazy part is we have a youth product playing for a champions League team in Bundesliga - Borussia Monchengladbach(voted player of the club this year ahead of Granit Xhaka). And we still want to start our vetrans. I would love it if we could buy Blind or even Rojo who United might be willing to dispose off (If tabloid rumors are true).

I wish I knew the answer to that one. Instead of spending 75 million on one Romelu Lukaku, We can get 2 or 3 great players. The other crazy part is we have a youth product playing for a champions League team in Bundesliga - Borussia Monchengladbach(voted player of the club this year ahead of Granit Xhaka). And we still want to start our vetrans. I would love it if we could buy Blind or even Rojo who United might be willing to dispose off (If tabloid rumors are true).
I think Jose loves Blind. During the preseason Blind started at both CB, LB, and RB, and was also brought off the bench as a CDM. I think Rojo would be good for you guys. He isn't a Jose player because he isn't as technically proficient. Jose also likes his wing backs (or fullbacks) to attack and Rojo isn't great at that. But I think his best position may be as a primarily defensive, yet pacy fullback, or even given a shot at CB. I also think you guys could use someone like a (healthy) Phil Jones.

I'm sure there are plenty of CBs, FBs, and WBs in the Premier League that could be of use to you guys. Seems odd that Conte, and Mourinho before him, wanted nothing to do with signing someone.

I think Jose loves Blind. During the preseason Blind started at both CB, LB, and RB, and was also brought off the bench as a CDM. I think Rojo would be good for you guys. He isn't a Jose player because he isn't as technically proficient. Jose also likes his wing backs (or fullbacks) to attack and Rojo isn't great at that. But I think his best position may be as a primarily defensive, yet pacy fullback, or even given a shot at CB. I also think you guys could use someone like a (healthy) Phil Jones.

I'm sure there are plenty of CBs, FBs, and WBs in the Premier League that could be of use to you guys. Seems odd that Conte, and Mourinho before him, wanted nothing to do with signing someone.

I think the board might be to blame for that. We spent the whole of last year chasing John Stones and this year we are chasing Kalidou Koulibaly. Hoping for a miracle.

Just thought I'd jump here and boast that I'll be sitting in the front row of the Camp Nou on Saturday night for Barcelona's first game of the La Liga season against Real Betis. First stop as part of my European vacation so look at for me on TV (will likely be unmissable - half way line at the end the camera will be facing).

Seeing the Cavs and Barcelona up, close and personal in less than 18 months isn't bad, is it? Looks like I'll need to extend my bucket list!

I was surprised by the Leicester loss, but more than that, I am really intrigued by how many BPL teams are playing with three in the back. The past two years that never happened, because most clubs in England were playing with only one striker, making three in the back ineffective. But so far today both Watford and Everton are playing 3-4-3 with a roamer. Rumor is Chelsea will play with three in the back, too. It should be interesting.

All I know is that playing 3 in the back sucks haha. I was an outside mid and we played a 3-5-2 on my club team.

Box-to-box running...fuck that was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."