• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Time for a Rudy Gay safari?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cavsfever

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Shumpert and maybe Mo Williams for Gay? Shumpert alone won't do it, and although we have a ton of trade exceptions I don't think you can combine a trade exception with a player (?).

Doubt you could get him but really like the idea of Gay for 30 MPG as a Lebron backup and a SF in lineups with Lebron at PF....

the Kings should be motivated sellers now, we just don't have the material

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nto-kings-plans-become-free-agent-next-summer

Rudy Gay notifies Kings he's leaving for free agency next summer
1:49 PM ET
  • Marc J. Spears
Rudy Gay has given the Sacramento Kings advance notice that he plans to depart from the franchise as a free agent next summer.

Kosta Koufos and guard Ben McLemore.

Gay averaged 17.2 points and 6.5 rebounds for the 33-win Kings last season. Other small forwards on the Kings' roster include Omri Casspi and newcomerMatt Barnes.

Shumpert and maybe Mo Williams for Gay? Shumpert alone won't do it, and although we have a ton of trade exceptions I don't think you can combine a trade exception with a player (?).

Doubt you could get him but really like the idea of Gay for 30 MPG as a Lebron backup and a SF in lineups with Lebron at PF....

the Kings should be motivated sellers now, we just don't have the material

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nto-kings-plans-become-free-agent-next-summer

Rudy Gay notifies Kings he's leaving for free agency next summer
1:49 PM ET
  • Marc J. Spears
Rudy Gay has given the Sacramento Kings advance notice that he plans to depart from the franchise as a free agent next summer.

Kosta Koufos and guard Ben McLemore.

Gay averaged 17.2 points and 6.5 rebounds for the 33-win Kings last season. Other small forwards on the Kings' roster include Omri Casspi and newcomerMatt Barnes.

Beat me to it. Would love him. But I feel like they can get more for him.

But I feel like they can get more for him.
I wouldn't be so sure. Gay has already been traded twice and the returns were less than impressive.

First trade:
The Memphis Grizzlies completed a long-rumored roster and salary purge Wednesday by agreeing to trade Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors along with Hamed Haddadi for forward Ed Davis and veteran guard Jose Calderon. The Grizzlies will flip Calderon to the Detroit Pistons to acquire veteran forward Tayshaun Prince, along with forward Austin Daye.

Second trade:
The Sacramento Kings today acquired forwards Rudy Gay and Quincy Acy along with center Aaron Gray from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for guard Greivis Vasquez and forwards John Salmons, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes

So, we have precedent here. They could do a lot worse than getting a 26 year old SG locked up for a few years on a reasonable contract. The Grizzlies & Raptors certainly did worse previously, IMO.

The thing that will turn a lot of buyers off is that he is likely a rental and/or a team won't want to pay him big bucks to re-sign him. And I'm not sure we even want to honestly, especially if we have to shell out a lot of dough for JR.

Shump as a main piece I think should be very enticing to Kings because he is young, locked up longer term, and has a cheaper contract. I would bet our management is more than willing to part with Shump, but the big problem is that I don't think the nucleus of our team would. He is really close friends with Kyrie and JR. He seems semi close to LeBron, so I'm not sure LeBron would give the okay. For chemistry reasons, our management might even be a bit iffy on the risk of trading him, but then the risk of Gay panning out and being able to pay him is another story as well.

Personally, I would be all for it. But whether all sides involved would be is hard to tell. As purely a trade alone, I would say it is a very realistic possibility. Especially with Gay saying he is leaving next summer.

I think the rental aspect doesn't matter AT ALL for us. This is the year -- if we win a second straight championship over the Warriors with Durant, we will become legendary and go down in NBA history. So we should be looking short term, honestly. Also, if we get him for even one year I believe it still means we could exceed the cap to sign him next year (not the Bird exemption, but the non-Bird exemption?). This is one of the best ways for us to get around being capped out.

I think Gay has the potential to extend Lebron's career, and when he's motivated (which admittedly isn't all the time) he can be a good solid defender.

Last edited:
How would we have bird rights?

How would we have bird rights?

If Cavs trade for Gay, we'd have his Bird Rights.

Financially, it's not a huge deal this year. Next year however, Gay might be looking for a $15-20M payday... In essence, he might want upwards of 20% of the salary cap. Not a max deal, but, would be quite a haul for the Cavs...

Trading Iman Shumpert for Rudy Gay makes a great deal of sense.

This is also why you have a handshake agreement (that he would allow a trade) with Matthew Dellavedova and just sign him for the $9.5M; because he could've been the centerpiece of such a deal prior to the deadline. So count this as yet another reason to be concerned about Griffin's off-season approach.

However, with that said, I'm not sure the Cavs have what it takes to get a deal done. There are other teams hoping to contend this season; including the Spurs, Thunder, Celtics, Mavericks, Blazers, Pistons, Bucks, etc etc....

So the question becomes; are none of them in a position to offer more than Iman Shumpert and the Mo Williams throw-in? I have a hard time believing we'd have the best offer; and I do think a team out there will take the risk of renting Rudy Gay in the hopes of re-signing him with his Bird Rights.

p.s.
If you want my opinion; I would trade anyone on this team not in the Big 3 for Rudy Gay. We can't trade both Iman and JR Smith simultaneously, because we need a reliable 2-guard; but I would do just about any trade to make this work.

Rudy Gay, IMHO, solves our matchup problem with the revamped Warriors. Gay can play the 2-4 against most teams (sans athletic 2 guard) and potentially the 2-5 against the Warriors.

Ignoring this and solely focusing on Rudy's negative aspects, I understand why a lot of teams traded him for very little. They didn't need him, and were often better off without him.

In our very particular case, given our position in the conference, and our very particular and situational needs - Rudy Gay is probably the absolute best, realistic, case scenario we could hope for.

IF hypothetically, we could lose only Shump/Mo and bring back Gay; I think we'd be the favorites to win the Finals. I think the defensive ramifications (i.e., matchups) are that significant.

That's why I would stress that we should do this trade ASAP.. if at all possible.

Last edited:
Doesn't a player's bird rights come with him when he's traded?

Edit: Gouri answered it.

Don't think we'll be serious buyers in the Rudy Gay sweepstakes.

That said, I'd love to see him wind up on the Clippers or Thunder.

If that's what happens with bird rights who the fuck doesn't have bird rights?

He's been on like four different teams lately, no?

If that's what happens with bird rights who the fuck doesn't have bird rights?

He's been on like four different teams lately, no?

Only one team can have Bird Rights at a time.

You lose Bird Rights when you sign with a franchise that didn't already have them or acquire them over time; or, when the team that qualifies for those rights waives the exception that season.

So if the Cavs (or anyone) trades for Rudy Gay, they get his Bird Rights since they assume the Kings position in his contract.

However, if Gay is bought out and becomes a free agent, then he loses his Bird Rights since, obviously, those reside with his King's contract. So the team that signs him signs a new deal, and thus, the clock that establishes these exceptions is reset to zero.

This is why Rudy Gay approached the Kings and informed them he was leaving in the summer. Because this is the polite way of demanding a trade.

Gay is saying "now is the time to trade me," and yes, he will be traded. From the King's perspective, they'll get something back for him rather than nothing. From Gay's perspective, it gives him leverage next year's in free agency discussions if he has made a positive impact on a contender this year, rather than wallowing in Sacramento dealing with Boogie Cousins' drama overshadowing his potential free agency.

It's a win-win for everyone if Gay is traded, and now, he's just forcing the issue.

Who knows if Rudy is a real target, but there should be reasons other teams shy away.

His DRPM is always amongst the worst in the NBA. Some might argue that most of the Kings players stopped playing defense, including Boogie. Still, if a team that isn't a real contender sees Gay's appraoh to defense when he isn't a contender, why make a big offer? In Memphis, they couldn't wait to get rid of him because the other 4 people on the floor were always covering for his half-hearted perimeter defense. So I'm of the belief the issue wasn't just Sacramento's lack of contending. He just isn't a high effort defender.

I do see him as a 6th man asset in ways Shump will never be. Gay is a legitimate scorer, and I doubt Shump ever becomes an asset on offense. I have concerns Shump's uneven half court defense doesn't make his outstanding transition defense worth it.

When I talked to a guy who works in relation to the Thunder after the Lauvergne trade he informed me that the Thunder love Gay and would be willing to make Kanter a centerpiece of a deal to get him. Take that for what it's worth.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."