• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

RIP Arnold Palmer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
golf_e_arnold_576.jpg

Golf's most beloved figure, Arnold Palmer, has passed away at the age of 87.​

His beverage will forever live on. Rest In Peace old friend.

Ok who's the 3rd? My money is on John McEnroe.

Something many people wouldn't know is that he was a true pioneer in terms of sports agencies. One of the first athletes to hire representation, it later turned into mega-agency IMG headquartered in Cleveland. It was Mark McCormack's first major athlete and a spring-board to the giant we now know IMG as.

My favorite all-time Arnie story is back in the day when professional golfers did not have "professional caddies". As difficult as it may be to believe, back in the 70's, pros would show up to a tournament and then utilize local caddies who knew the course well. Arnie came to the PGA championship at Canterbury Country Club in 1973 and was assigned a caddie that really struggled with the bag and knowledge of the course. Canterbury, noticing the struggles of the gentleman they put on his bag, offered to have his caddie switched out. Arnie said "that is somebody's son and I believe he's doing his best. No need to make an issue over this". Arnold failed to make the cut. And I only know this story, firsthand, through someone who worked with the caddie program in 1973 at Canterbury.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."