• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Shumpert trade ideas

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Walter White

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I figured it should have it's own thread to try to keep the main Shumpert thread a little more clean. At least keep it a place for fair criticism and optimism, analysis, and overall news. This might be a better place to vent and talk about trades.

This thread will probably become more relevant near the deadline. But there have been trade rumors already. Many false, but some I think are legit and if we aren't shopping him, we are listening to offers for sure. Even if Shump turns it around, which would be great, he is still our main trade chip and expendable piece we have either way. I went through every team and put together some base trade ideas that are at least somewhat feasible under the right circumstance:

Shump for Korver and Sefolosha

Shump for Avery Bradley.

Shump (+filler?) for Jodie Meeks and CJ Watson

Shump for Jameer Nelson and Will Barton

Shump (+assets?) for Ariza or Beverley

Shump for Lou Williams

Shump and Mo for Rubio

Shump for Tyreke Evans

Shump for PJ Tucker (and Barbosa?)

Shump and assets for Rudy Gay

Shump and assets for Collison and/or Mclemore

Shump, Frye, Mo, and assets for Wade ( :chuckle:kidding)

(Those are about all the best, semi realistic ones I could come up with. One thing to remember is that Shump will hopefully up his value and every team value players differently. These ideas are also just base trades that I don't think would be too far off with adjustments from either side. Some of them would take special circumstance, but that is why we wait to see what happens at the deadline. And when I say assets, I mean including picks or players like Mcrae, Felder, or rights to Cedi Osman etc.)

I'm an advocate of the Lou Williams idea. It is simple and probably most realistic since Lakers have Russell, Huertas, Clarkson, and Calderon so they probably would jump on swapping him for a defensive SG. Lou would fill the back up PG well and give us another ball handler and lights out shooter. Basically JR Smith of the PG position. The downside is losing defense and how that would impact facing GS. So it would be nice to find a defensive wing to replace Shump for matchup purposes, but I'd straight up do this trade. We could find a wing through buyout season or via another trade.

Shump for Korver straight up or Shump for Sefolosha straight up I wouldn't do. But for both, I would but I'm not sure Hawks would. So we might have to throw in Mcrae or a pick but it could be a solid trade. We add a shooter and also defense to replace Shump. However, Korver and Sefolosha are both expiring so who knows what they will ask for in the offseason. Not sure if that works in favor or against Hawks wanting to trade them. Or if we really want to risk rentals for players that aren't worth it.

Shump for Bradley is probably a stretch unless Bradley wants out. Otherwise, Celtics have like 5 point guards and probably wouldn't mind trading him. Trade never made as much sense in the past since we always had Delly. But now that we could use a back up PG, it makes way more sense. And we would get to keep the defense. We might have to throw in assets.

Getting Ariza and Beverley both in a package would be a slam dunk, but not sure Rockets go for it. Beverley would be a perfect back up PG, but his injury history is a problem. It is why I wouldn't trade Shump straight up for him. But we will get to see how healthy he is later in the season when he comes back and maybe we would. We probably need to throw in assets too if Ariza is involved, even if a trade doesn't include Beverley and is centered on just Ariza.

PJ Tucker and Barbosa would be a solid package, but I'm not sure Barbosa is a legit back up PG still. And we don't exactly need Tucker since we have Dunleavy. Tucker is more tradeable than ever though now with the Suns trying to develop young guys. Proof: http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...ped-off-second-unit-after-uninspired-showing/

Rudy Gay is always the slam dunk trade. He will most likely be traded this year, just not sure what he will fetch and if we can field a competitive offer. I'd be worried about the fact he is expiring though and he would likely be a rental.

With Tyreke Evans, he could basically be our 6'6 back up PG, but I don't know if New Orleans would trade him, and he would very likely be a rental as well. But I included him for @gourimoko :D

I'm not really messing with Rubio or anything including Mclemore. But I had to include them because they are always in the rumors.

Last edited:
I will always hate threads that just tear down a Cavalier player for the sake of a trade. However, we never go a season without a scapegoat and I'm glad its not Love this time.

My hope is that Shump finally puts it together defensively and the Cavaliers find a veteran backup point guard some other way.

I will always hate threads that just tear down a Cavalier player for the sake of a trade. However, we never go a season without a scapegoat and I'm glad its not Love this time.

My hope is that Shump finally puts it together defensively and the Cavaliers find a veteran backup point guard some other way.
If you hate this thread, you can take it down. I wasn't trying to tear him down. I was just trying to help and make his main thread more positive in the process.

I don't think Shump is a scapegoat. I get what you mean, but we will play well and have a good season regardless. I think there is some justification in worrying about his performance and fit with the team. But at the same time, he is the main asset we have to work with when it comes to improving this team in the biggest way possible, one way or another. Whether through trade or his improved play, so I don't think it is a bad discussion.

Almost everyone on this team is untouchable, which is a good thing. The starters are, and most of the bench is because they are on such good contracts and fit well with the team. Shumpert and Mcrae are the only real movable pieces. Mcrae is making 800k so only so much can be done with him. And I like Mcrae a lot, but I wouldn't see it as tearing him down to discuss trades involving him because I want the best for the Cavs and to improve the team in any way we possibly can.

Hey, if we can keep Shump, and manage to add another good player or two via free agency, buyouts, or just using our TPE and that is what is best for our team, great. I hope so, that is probably what is most likely. But I just think it is worth talking about all possibilities. And I think it is fun to talk about.

Shumpert and Mcrae are the only real movable pieces.
Not necessarily...you could include Frye, Jefferson, and Dunleavy if the right deal came along (and it'd have to be a good one for me to want to include the first two, but they're not untouchable.)

I'd like to see a big who is fast and can exploit warriors on the boards and inside.

Noel is not wanted in Philly and they really want a pg if I remember correctly.

Some combination of shump for rubio to trade for nn, maybe

I'd like to see a big who is fast and can exploit warriors on the boards and inside.

Noel is out until at least January with a knee injury. Concerns about his knees, validated by the Cleveland Clinic, were the main reason the Cavaliers didn't draft him #1.

Noel just had surgery on his knee though. Probably not worth the risk even on the chance he is attainable.

There are BS rumors that Warriors are trying to get him. But if Warriors can manage to get themselves a legit center, that will be scary.

Noel is out until at least January with a knee injury. Concerns about his knees, validated by the Cleveland Clinic, were the main reason the Cavaliers didn't draft him #1.

Weren't Noel's knees cleared by the Cavs medical staff? I'm pretty sure about that one. Also, Noel decided to have an elective knee surgery, I think he is posturing cause he
wants to be traded asap.
Again, I'd trade Shump for Richaun Holmes and T.J Mcconnell.

Last edited:
Wasn't Noel's knees cleared by the Cavs medical staff? I'm pretty sure about that one.

I'm sure of the website's sources on his knees. We heard about red flags weeks before he slid in the draft... to a team that didn't do a thorough independent predraft medical check on him.

Get the Bucks on the phone

Shump for Delly straight up

Who says no

:fight (9)::party smiley 004:

The Bucks.
thatsthejoke.png

I'm no Shump fan, but what does a trade for Rubio even really do? Seems pretty redundant. Sure, Rubio overall is better, but they still offer pretty much the same to this team.

It's not like Rubio will run the point much either..

I'm no Shump fan, but what does a trade for Rubio even really do? Seems pretty redundant. Sure, Rubio overall is better, but they still offer pretty much the same to this team.

It's not like Rubio will run the point much either..

??????

Rubio is a top 5 PG in both passing and defense. He can guard PG's and SG's. Honestly other than CP3 is there a better setup man or passing PG in the league? Rondo maybe? Here's what's clear. Rubio is a PG. Shump is a SG/Small ball SF. Rubio can play next to Kyrie and make us very versatile. He could also give us the best bench in the league.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."