• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Draft Prospects

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Do you take Jonathan Jeane if he falls to us? It's probably going to take him a few years but he is intriguing.
Cavs biggest need is a C but I don't see anyone that helps the Cavs in his first year so I think I rather take BPA.

Yeah, but I don't think he does. He's going to give teams Rudy Gobert flashbacks, and they'll panic on not making the mistake of passing on a guy like that. But again, he's a guy who I think doesn't come over to the NBA until the end of the decade. Needs to work on his body if he wants to play C in the NBA.

And I wouldn't necessarily agree that the Cavs biggest need is a C. I still think the best addition would be a hybrid wing who can guard 2-4s...why I wanted Rondae Hollis-Jefferson so much a few years ago. But I certainly won't say a C would be a poor pick, should they make the pick.

Yeah, but I don't think he does. He's going to give teams Rudy Gobert flashbacks, and they'll panic on not making the mistake of passing on a guy like that. But again, he's a guy who I think doesn't come over to the NBA until the end of the decade. Needs to work on his body if he wants to play C in the NBA.

And I wouldn't necessarily agree that the Cavs biggest need is a C. I still think the best addition would be a hybrid wing who can guard 2-4s...why I wanted Rondae Hollis-Jefferson so much a few years ago. But I certainly won't say a C would be a poor pick, should they make the pick.

I'm a big believer in Cedi Osman and think he could definately fill the 2/3 position.
I wouldn't mind a 4/5 hybrid though.
Jeanne at first glance looks like he has that Gobert potential but then you see his scouting report and how weak he is and you realize that it's going to take him a few years atleast to do something. Gobert looks like a superhero next to him.

I'm a big believer in Cedi Osman and think he could definately fill the 2/3 position.
I wouldn't mind a 4/5 hybrid though.
Jeanne at first glance looks like he has that Gobert potential but then you see his scouting report and how weak he is and you realize that it's going to take him a few years atleast to do something. Gobert looks like a superhero next to him.

Love Cedi, but yeah, he is strictly a wing in the NBA. Unless he somehow adds 20-30 lbs...

But having that guy who can guard 2-4 allows you to get extra creative with your lineups, which is why I am so interested in one, and why the Cavs were interested in a guy like Hollis -Jefferson, who isn't exactly a good fit offensively for the Cavs.

Thoughts of Shumpert, RHJ, LBJ defensive combinations kept me up in a cold sweat at night in 2015...

Another 30+ point game for Markelle Fultz last night. Guy is the real deal.

Even moreso than his athleticism, I'm impressed with the different speeds he plays with. Between that and his body control, seems like he's got so many different ways to attack his man.

This draft is 24 picks deep, there is a big skill downgrade after that.
I'd like the Cavs to trade up somehow.. so many talents but there is no one interesting where the Cavs pick.

I'd like the Cavs to trade up somehow.. so many talents but there is no one interesting where the Cavs pick.

Trading up in the first often requires giving up present assets. There's no way they go that route for draft picks which need at least one year to develop once in the NBA.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was another stash player ..It makes for a dull draft night but the Cedi pick in hindsight looks to be a good decision.
This draft is potentially full of high ceiling PGs, SF/PFs who should be long off the board before the Cavs pick.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was another stash player ..It makes for a dull draft night but the Cedi pick in hindsight looks to be a good decision.
This draft is potentially full of high ceiling PGs, SF/PFs who should be long off the board before the Cavs pick.

Yeah, the talent level really drops where the Cavs pick. Gotta find a european stash, I really can't see any interesting player otherwise.

In all honesty, the draft isn't even 24 picks deep. Luckily, some of the NBA-caliber players will be picked later in the draft, so we still have a chance.

Yeah Monk is looking like what people wanted Bradley Beal to be so far.

My thing about Monk is that his frame might limit him a bit. I think his best fit is clearly as a scoring/shooting 2 guard, but he's 6'3" with a 6'4" wingspan. Can he control the offense and pass well enough to be a starting PG in the league? I don't think it's out of the question, it would be a similar shift that Westbrook made from college to the pros for example. It's still a pretty big projection to make. If he can't be a starting PG and if he struggles to guard 2s due to his size, he may be limited to being a dynamic 6th man.

Shifting to Lonzo Ball, I think he's the best pure passer to go into the draft since... Ricky Rubio? With his size, athleticism and passing, I can see why UCLA fans are comparing him to Jason Kidd way back in the day.

What a game between UCLA and UK. On the UK side, Malik Monk is an absolutely elite scorer. Explosive with a great shot, he confidently shot contested 3s all game.

There's a lot to like about De'Aaron Fox, he's got a tailor made drive and kick game and he's got pretty damn good instincts as a passer, and is a very good on ball defender to boot. I'm just not sure he warrants a high lottery pick with his really sub-par shooting and frame (171 lbs). The Ringer had a good article about Fultz recently where they noted that PG's picked in the lottery in recent years that can't shoot (Exum, Mudiay, Smart, Payton, Dunn) haven't had a smooth transition to the pros, and Fox is probably a worse shooter than all of them right now.

Lonzo Ball had a horrible first 10 minutes or so, it may have been the first time he was in a hostile environment like that. His shot was a bit off most of the game too, not a great overall game for him. Still, there's just so much that he does right on the court and his passing has completely changed UCLA's program.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."