• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Time for a Rudy Gay safari?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
aL2W7yz_700b.jpg

@Deezus

I think you're looking at this the wrong way; there's no reason to assume that because James is guarding Durant that he will simply stop attacking the basket. It's not an either or thing; and to be honest, our defense is the only way we'll beat the Warriors -- we're not going to just win by hoping to outscore them.
I'm not saying that James won't attack the basket. I'm saying that he no longer has the stamina and endurance to guard an elite, versatile scorer like Kevin Durant for an entire series while producing the way we need him to on the other end.

I guarantee that you that whatever defensive schemes Lue and his staff come up with, they will not include sticking LeBron on Durant for the entire series...just spot minutes.

I'm not saying that James won't attack the basket. I'm saying that he no longer has the stamina and endurance to guard an elite, versatile scorer like Kevin Durant for an entire series while producing the way we need him to on the other end.

If we need 100% offense from LeBron and if what you say about him not having the stamina to do this over 7 games is true (which I disagree with); then we have very little chance in this series. Again, James is the only person on the roster who is able to effectively guard Kevin Durant. Kevin Durant is their number one option and could average 40 a game in a Finals situation. You don't just let him get his when he's flanked by Curry and Klay Thompson.

I guarantee that you that whatever defensive schemes Lue and his staff come up with, they will not include sticking LeBron on Durant for the entire series...just spot minutes.

I'm not sure where you're pulling this from; I would argue the exact opposite, in fact, I would be shocked if James doesn't guard Durant at the 3/4 throughout the series. We have literally no other player that could do this; while Tristan on Draymond makes all the sense in the world. Putting Tristan/Love on Durant would be suicide... it makes no sense. Smith/Shump will have their hands full on the perimeter with Steph/Klay, and neither of them can guard Durant either heads up on in the post.

Again, I'm just not sure how you're coming to this conclusion that we have someone else to put on Durant?

Regardless if James guards Durant, you still need someone else just in case he happens to get into foul trouble. That's always a risk. Durant is good at drawing fouls and getting to the line.

Right now, he'd have to guard Durant. No other way around it.

My biggest fear is what if LB ends up in foul trouble, then what?

Last edited:
There's a few guys who could be available come trade deadline, depending on how their seasons are trending.

I'd look to Portland to make a potential move based on how stacked they are at the 3/4 positions with:

Moe Harkless
Al-Farouq Aminu
Evan Turner
Jake Layman

Portland is really high on Layman, and they've got a jam when all are healthy. I don't love the contracts on Aminu or Harkless (both have 3/4 years left at $7-$8M a year). But both Harkless and Aminu could defend Durant while giving LeBron the ability to play a wing and give our defense max flexibility on switches. I think sliding Harkless or Aminu into our line-up with Love or Thompson at center, gives us great match-ups across the board.

In fact, of all the teams Golden State played last year, Portland had some of the best success based on Aminu and Harkless being able to switch all screens.

One "flyer" type guy to check in on depending on health would be Vince Carter. I'm sure he could be had for very little, and the guy still plays a high level of basketball especially when looking at his PER 36 min numbers. Issue with Vince is he can't give you much more than 25 mins a night, although he provides a ton of versatility on court. I think an argument could be made Vince and Richard Jefferson are pretty redundant at this point, but I just like Vince's ability to shoot from deep (its amazing how he turned this into a strength), and he's tough as nails. He'd be a great veteran add if we decide we want more size on the wing.

A pipe dream, because I think he will fetch a lot at the deadline, is Wilson Chandler. He is playing the most effifcient baskteball of his career right now, and just lighting it up. At 6'8, 225lbs, I might like him even more than Rudy Gay because he doesn't demand the ball and is a willing defender. I'm just not sure we have the assets to make that move since he has 3 years left on his deal, and is out-playing Danilo Gallinari by a mile. He is 29 and its going to be a while before Denver even contends for a playoff spot,s o maybe they'd like to move him before his value tanks, I just think there will be a team ready with much better packages than what we could give up.

And speaking on Danilo....he's propbably on the block too. But Danilo, who I've always been a fan of, looks even a step slower this year. He's been injury ridden, but damn it looks like he's got cement shoes on. If he gets back into playing shape he could be a potential fit here, but I don't think he alleviates LeBron defensively at all. Danilo on Durant would be murder.....

Last option is the always dependable PJ Tucker.....I'm not sure how many trade deadlines that guy can survive in Phoenix. There just isn't much reason to keep him when they're trying to develop TJ Warren. I don't get it........PJ is a willing defender and good corner 3 ball shooter. You could play him for stretches on KD.....it wouldn't be as good as what you'd get from LeBron defensively, but it'd probably be good enough to give it a go and let LeBron be more efficient offensively.

Hmmm interesting..

Back to the blazers, @billmac91 Portland is a good trade partner. I also mentioned last week in the open discussion thread they own our 2018 pick. If the Cavs can somehow get that pick back (maybe give them our 2017 unprotected instead) then it would make it alot easier to make a future trade at the deadline or this summer. Teams might be interested in the Cavs 2019 and 2021 picks at the deadline or the Cavs 2018 pick this summer or next deadline. Right now the earliest first round pick Griffin can deal would be in 2020 which would likely have very limited value. They are changing the rules on dealing first round picks but I believe the Stepien rule would still be enforced.

I am still curious how they'll pull it off. I'd imagine it will still be very hard, to very unlikely. Not to put cold water on this, and it's encouraging from Ben's post they must be gunning for him. They should be.

If they can pull it off, well, color me impress. He's the missing piece. If we can get him, we can and will beat GS if everyone is healthy.

I think we do need four legit scorers to match up against them, along with the defensive assignments that will currently give us problems.

I don't know that I'll ever understand the Rudy Gay love around here. He's a good player, and, in a vacuum, he's better than someone like Iman Shumpert. That's obvious. But what kind of role is he playing here? He'd basically be asked to play some hybrid RJ/Shump role. I think some view him as this team's Andre Iguodala, but AI works for GS because he keeps the ball moving, can defend four positions, and can play PG allowing them to move Steph off the ball.

Rudy can't play the PG, he's an average defender at best, and he's a notorious ball stopper. Not only that, but he's not a very good three point shooter, and you'd be asking him to take a serious step back in role. He's not starting, and he's maybe playing 20-25 mpg. What's the point in this team moving it's limited assets for that?

I don't know that I'll ever understand the Rudy Gay love around here. He's a good player, and, in a vacuum, he's better than someone like Iman Shumpert. That's obvious. But what kind of role is he playing here? He'd basically be asked to play some hybrid RJ/Shump role. I think some view him as this team's Andre Iguodala, but AI works for GS because he keeps the ball moving, can defend four positions, and can play PG allowing them to move Steph off the ball.

Rudy can't play the PG, he's an average defender at best, and he's a notorious ball stopper. Not only that, but he's not a very good three point shooter, and you'd be asking him to take a serious step back in role. He's not starting, and he's maybe playing 20-25 mpg. What's the point in this team moving it's limited assets for that?

A couple thoughts:

1.) You might not have to trade a ton for Gay, because Sacramento is going nowhere this year and Gay isn't going to resign there. Also, other teams might not want him because he will be gone, or have a huge contract after the season. OTOH, playing for a championship might convince him to opt into his player option next year (can discuss that with him during the deal, I believe?). I honestly think Shumpert + Felder + Osman might get it done.

2.) Gay is too good not to start, and that of course produces some problems integrating him into a lineup this quickly. The first thought would be to start him at the 2 (KI/Gay/LBJ/Love/Thompson) --- but especially against GS I might start a lineup that is (KI/Smith/Gay/LBJ/Love).

I think the smaller lineup destroys GS. Every player in that lineup is a 3PT shooter, which produces ridiculous spacing. There's also three drivers in KI/Gay/LBJ, and you should be able to PnR Curry onto one of them consistently (they will have to switch PnRs because of the three-point shooting).

Defensively, You can hide Love on Zaza, and switch Smith onto Curry and KI onto Thompson to start the game. LBJ/Gay switch off on Durant/Green. This allows you to switch every Curry + Durant/Green PnR, and also to avoid forcing LBJ to cover Durant too much. GS will probably try to pick with Thompson to force KI onto Curry, but I think KI on Curry is not as bad as the offensive advantage you get from that matchup.

Finally, this lineup is big and athletic. It still rebounds well on both sides of the ball with Gay/LBJ/Love.

3.) You now can rest LBJ about 10 MPG in the finals, and have lineups on the court that look like: KI/Smith/Gay/Love/Thompson. Those are still really good lineups, and functionally they can run all the sets that the Cavs are used to running with LBJ in the game. This should make the adjustments to integrate Gay much easier than it would be when you add a typical star --- he's really poor man's LBJ, and is used to getting the ball in similar circumstances.

Similarly, when KI rests in the finals you'll have LBJ at point foreward, and now Gay becomes a much better Richard Jefferson.

4.) Without another guy who can guard big 3s and 4s (which we currently don't have), you're going to run into a problem in the finals with LBJ -- who can only guard either Durant or Green. Last year we were successful when we put LBJ on Green and switched to shut down the Curry/Green PnR. Durant sort of prevents us from doing that this year, because if LBJ is on Green they put will go Iso Durant against Smith or TT. Gay solves that problem.

Ok, I'm done with the wishful thinking. This will almost certainly never happen.

I should add that I'm generically of the opinion that we should trade Shumpert (and his youth/good contract) for a better player who is older or on a poorer contract.

Heard warriors are tryna get in

They are tryna get rid of Iggys corpse too

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."