• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Shumpert trade ideas

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
No. that sounds like one of those terrible fake trade rumors someone on twitter makes.

Yeah, I thought so too. But I was just wanting to see what everyone thought, and thankfully there was some great discussion following the question!

No questions asked? I wouldn't go that far.

The better he plays, for a longer period of time, the higher his trade value.

It's still too early. If he stays healthy and plays well until the deadline, I trust Griff to make the right call. From what I can tell, he's not someone who is going to gamble our future based on the "hope" that Shumpert's injury history changes. But, if he keeps Shump, I'm cool with that too.

No questions asked may have been a little overboard, but I say that because if he can shoot 35%+ from deep and keep playing good D, he's exactly the type of wing who fits perfectly here and there's really no reason to trade him.

Obviously, the health is a big question mark, I'm not denying that at all, but if he keeps this up, the only way they should deal him is if it's for a guy who can do "3 & D" better than him.

No questions asked may have been a little overboard, but I say that because if he can shoot 35%+ from deep and keep playing good D, he's exactly the type of wing who fits perfectly here and there's really no reason to trade him.

Obviously, the health is a big question mark, I'm not denying that at all, but if he keeps this up, the only way they should deal him is if it's for a guy who can do "3 & D" better than him.

3&D better than him on average, or better than the short outlier that we've seen to start this season?

3&D better than him on average, or better than the short outlier that we've seen to start this season?

I'm not expecting him to keep shooting 45% from deep...

If we get to the deadline and he's still healthy, still shooting 35%+ from deep, and playing good D, I think that's more than just a short outlier and would have to be overwhelmed in order to deal him.

If we get to the deadline and he's still healthy, still shooting 35%+ from deep, and playing good D, I think that's more than just a short outlier and would have to be overwhelmed in order to deal him.

I feel like this is part of the regular Shump narrative: "He's young, and still developing, so this new level of his game means he's arrived..."

And then he gets injured, and becomes thoroughly underwhelming.

I understand your position, and think that it could pan out--and I could be wrong. But I just can't help but feel that we've seen this song and dance before.

I don't need an overwhelming trade. Personally, I'd be fine with all sorts of trades depending on how a player would mix with our bench. Trading Shump, in my opinion, is less about getting "high" value in return, and more about finding those right pieces that fill the holes on our team.

I feel like this is part of the regular Shump narrative: "He's young, and still developing, so this new level of his game means he's arrived..."

And then he gets injured, and becomes thoroughly underwhelming.

I understand your position, and think that it could pan out--and I could be wrong. But I just can't help but feel that we've seen this song and dance before.

I don't need an overwhelming trade. Personally, I'd be fine with all sorts of trades depending on how a player would mix with our bench. Trading Shump, in my opinion, is less about getting "high" value in return, and more about finding those right pieces that fill the holes on our team.

I understand this thinking, but does moving Shumpert, in turn, not also create another massive hole on the team?

If Liggs can fill the Shump hole, would you reconsider?

I agree with your statement before though, that, you can swap "holes" in the lineup by trading Shump for say, a larger wing, and while that person might not be able to fill the role of Shumpert -- the dynamic of our team might make for a better matchup with our potential Finals opponent.

To me, you trade Shump if and only if you think it helps you beat the Warriors.

Shump is also the backup point guard right now. Not ideal, but hey, he can defend the position well. So, trading him creates a hole. It makes no sense unless it's a too good to be true deal, like Rudy Gay.

I think MoFlo means he's just not expendable, like he was before IMO. That doesn't mean he's untouchable, of course he's not. The only players that are untouchable are the big 3.

I agree with your statement before though, that, you can swap "holes" in the lineup by trading Shump for say, a larger wing, and while that person might not be able to fill the role of Shumpert -- the dynamic of our team might make for a better matchup with our potential Finals opponent.

To me, you trade Shump if and only if you think it helps you beat the Warriors.

Exactly. And for the record, I don't think we will trade Shump because I don't think his value will be that high where he'll net us that.

I'm definitely 100% against trading him for a backup point guard. Just because it's a "need". That would make no sense to me, and I'd be very disappointed if we did that. I doubt we would though.

Exactly. And for the record, I don't think we will trade Shump because I don't think his value will be that high where he'll net us that.

I'm definitely 100% against trading him for a backup point guard. Just because it's a "need". That would make no sense to me, and I'd be very disappointed if we did that. I doubt we would though.

Shumpert+Frye+picks might be attractive to some team; could potentially move them as a package to get Rudy Gay back.. Would really damage the team in the regular season though; Frye has been critical for our better lineups against most teams in the league.

However, against the Warriors, I'm not so sure he has a place given the matchup (and it's now much worse). He barely played (4 gms, 8 mpg, 0.5PPG).... You've gotta imagine that Rudy Gay would see 30 MPG against the Warriors; and he could assuredly guard Draymond Green and pick up Durant when needed, which is all we need him for.

Big if. Shump also has the NBA finals experience that Liggins doesn't. Against Golden State. Twice. He knows what to expect and how to play them. Liggins doesn't. And with the way Golden State's offense is firing, we have no room for rookie-ish mistakes on defense.

We already need a wing with Shump playing this well.

If you trade Shump, you either need to get someone back who is that much better than him or you need to bring in 2 wings to replace him, either together or in separate deals.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."