• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Nerlens Noel on the block

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I doubt Philly would do this, but Richaun Holmes for Mo's contract and our first rounder would be great IMO. He's under control through 2018-19 as well on an extremely cheap contract.

Your math doesn't add up at all. Tristan averages 29 minutes, so your 19 number is correct, but there are no additional minutes. Minutes playing alongside Frye are included in the 19 minutes.

That also assume we never play small ball with Love or Frye at the 5, and LeBron at the 4, some of our most effective lineups. It also completely disregards the Love/Frye pairing, which has also been very effective.

I honestly don't see a consistent rotation spot for Noel here.

25 on average wouldn't be hard to obtain over the course of the season once factoring in nights of rest for Love and TT. Love is looking at another rest night tomorrow or Weds.

Down the stretch TT will get occasional nights off.

On a full roster type night, I don't see any reason you'd ever have both TT and Noel off the court. You can still play fast with both TT and Noel while not giving up anything defensively. TT would get the lions share of mins, only because of already being entrenched on this team. But everything you get in TT you could get from Noel while TT gets blows on the sidelines.....which is invaluable against GSW. Having that extra 6'11" guy on bench who can switch everything and contest shots is just huge....

25 on average wouldn't be hard to obtain over the course of the season once factoring in nights of rest for Love and TT. Love is looking at another rest night tomorrow or Weds.

Down the stretch TT will get occasional nights off.

On a full roster type night, I don't see any reason you'd ever have both TT and Noel off the court. You can still play fast with both TT and Noel while not giving up anything defensively. TT would get the lions share of mins, only because of already being entrenched on this team. But everything you get in TT you could get from Noel while TT gets blows on the sidelines.....which is invaluable against GSW. Having that extra 6'11" guy on bench who can switch everything and contest shots is just huge....

Tristan hasn't missed a game in 5 years, and now we're assuming off nights for him?

You really don't see any reason why we'd ever want a line up without Tristan or Noel? Our LeBron+4 shooters lineups have been very effective, and you want to completely get rid of our LeBron/Love, LeBron/Frye, and Love/Frye combos?

I see about 10 minutes/night on average for Noel. Give or take 5 depending on the match up. There would certainly be nights where he wouldn't play at all. Once you get to the playoffs, and Tristan's minutes go up, I don't see any role for Noel at all. At least not enough of a role for us to give up anything of value for him, especially none of our current rotation players.

If we didn't have TT, I'd love to get Noel. However, as it stands, Noel would serve virtually no purpose on a full strength Cavs team.

The Cavs wouldn't even want Noel. It's pretty evident that they want their big men to spread the floor. Given we already have Tristan, there's no point in getting Noel. Doesn't fit.

He's been bitching about his playing time, you think he'd be happy playing 10 minutes a night? He'd be fourth on our depth. He's not playing ahead of TT, Love, or Frye.

Even if Noel played 40 when Love/TT sat, one of Love/TT would have to sit 1 out of every 4 games to even get close to 25 a night.

Would take him in a second....

But, we're not going to get a talented 22 yo for table scraps...

I think a TT and Noel lineup in small spurts could be devastating for the Warriors. Everyone can switch on everyone else. We get an offensive rebound palooza. Beat them up.

I've long been intrigued with Noel, and I really disagree with a few things:

1. He can't play with TT. I think that lineup would torment and menace teams and give us another option. Now he can't play with TT and we keep up our offensive pace. That I agree with, but I think people are overlooking just how much that would improve our defense. Noel has DPOY potential

2. That Dudley or Tucker helps this team more than Noel in a GSW matchup. I think a healthy Noel would be a GSW nightmare in the same way that TT is. Having a TT for 48 minutes a game against the Warriors? Yeah, sign me up for that.

That said I agree with not having the luxury to ship out wings. And honestly I think the 6ers can get a better package for Noel anyway then we can offer.

It's a nice dream though. Talk about grit squad.

I think a TT and Noel lineup in small spurts could be devastating for the Warriors. Everyone can switch on everyone else. We get an offensive rebound palooza. Beat them up.

I've long been intrigued with Noel, and I really disagree with a few things:

1. He can't play with TT. I think that lineup would torment and menace teams and give us another option. Now he can't play with TT and we keep up our offensive pace. That I agree with, but I think people are overlooking just how much that would improve our defense. Noel has DPOY potential

2. That Dudley or Tucker helps this team more than Noel in a GSW matchup. I think a healthy Noel would be a GSW nightmare in the same way that TT is. Having a TT for 48 minutes a game against the Warriors? Yeah, sign me up for that.

That said I agree with not having the luxury to ship out wings. And honestly I think the 6ers can get a better package for Noel anyway then we can offer.

It's a nice dream though. Talk about grit squad.

TT and Noel would give GSW some issues as far as rebounding and would be reasonably effective defensively. GSW is so talented at scoring and shooting that I don't see how we would be able to keep up on the other end in terms of scoring. Yes we might slow them down, but Noel/TT clog the lane so much that we'd have just as much added trouble offensively.

Shumpert should not be dealt unless we are getting an upgrade at the wing position. Trading him for a big would be a huge mistake.
I don't see any way that Shump gets dealt right now. Since his shooting has improved and his defense is still solid he is a very important part of the lineup. The Cavs can not give him up in a deal unless it brings someone similar back. Shump has a great deal under the new cap. He is at 9.6 this year and I think it goes down the next two years. You can't replace him at that cost. Allen Crabbe is getting like 17 a year.

Even if Noel played 40 when Love/TT sat, one of Love/TT would have to sit 1 out of every 4 games to even get close to 25 a night.

I don't think this is true though....IMO, there's never be a reason not to have Noel or Thompson in the game. It sacrifices too much defense.

And honestly, even if he averaged 20 mins a night, it'd be great for this team. Kid is an absolute monster on defense....truth be told, TT might be in same situation if he got caught in that dumpster fire of an organization like Philly. TT has made a shitload of money off LeBron.....and that's cool. Noel would be seen at a level of Thompson or better IMO, with LeBron on the court. Noel is a defensive freak with better athleticism than TT and 2 inches taller with a much better reach.

I like TT....but let's not act like he hasn't generated a shitload of value by playing next to one of the greatest of all time. IMO Noel gives you that same scrap-yard dog mentality with even more upside....

And he can be had for quarters on the dollar. The problem is, we don't even have those quarters, and if we did have those quarters it comes at a price in our weakest position. I get all that....but in right situation Nerlens Noel is a game-changing freak perfect in today's position-less basketball. I don't even think it's hyperbole to say he could defend Durant in spot minutes....TT can't even do that. Noel has a shitload of value in the right spot....admittedly his value IMO, rests solely with playing GS. I think Noel could have a major impact in that series....

I don't think this is true though....IMO, there's never be a reason not to have Noel or Thompson in the game. It sacrifices too much defense.

And honestly, even if he averaged 20 mins a night, it'd be great for this team. Kid is an absolute monster on defense....truth be told, TT might be in same situation if he got caught in that dumpster fire of an organization like Philly. TT has made a shitload of money off LeBron.....and that's cool. Noel would be seen at a level of Thompson or better IMO, with LeBron on the court. Noel is a defensive freak with better athleticism than TT and 2 inches taller with a much better reach.

I like TT....but let's not act like he hasn't generated a shitload of value by playing next to one of the greatest of all time. IMO Noel gives you that same scrap-yard dog mentality with even more upside....

And he can be had for quarters on the dollar. The problem is, we don't even have those quarters, and if we did have those quarters it comes at a price in our weakest position. I get all that....but in right situation Nerlens Noel is a game-changing freak perfect in today's position-less basketball. I don't even think it's hyperbole to say he could defend Durant in spot minutes....TT can't even do that. Noel has a shitload of value in the right spot....admittedly his value IMO, rests solely with playing GS. I think Noel could have a major impact in that series....

This is the biggest difference between TT and Noel, TT bases his play on this mentality, Noel doesn't have this mentality at all, I would still love to see him here because he can help us a lot but I just doesn't think he is any close to TT on that department...

Last edited:
First of all, that still doesn't tell us how you get Noel to 25 minutes a game.

Second, if TT or Noel must play at all times, you rob us of any type of LeBron + 4 shooters lineup that has been pretty deadly.

First of all, that still doesn't tell us how you get Noel to 25 minutes a game.

Second, if TT or Noel must play at all times, you rob us of any type of LeBron + 4 shooters lineup that has been pretty deadly.

Like I said, I don't even see how you realistically get him more than 10 minutes/night on average.

When they showcase him he looks great.....he gets another start tonight as they rest Embiid and Okafor.

He was a stud last night in beating the Clippers. Guy is just so athletic and fluid with his frame.

Some team is getting a potential steal whenever Philly unloads him due to their logjam. I'd be looking to move Okafor before Noel though.....that defense and mobility is ridiculous.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."