• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rate the last movie you saw

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I've been on a tear in a particular direction..

Favorites lately:

Snowden
Jfk
Frost Nixon
All the president's men

What did you think of Snowden?

I also recommend Elvis & Nixon for a more light-hearted political movie and 13 Days if you haven't already seen them.

Did anyone see the trailer for Alien Covenant ? I have not seen it, but heard it is out. Is it true ?

I don't know if anyone in here knows who Stretch & Bobbito are. If you don't like rap/hip-hop from the 90's then just skip this post.

They were a DJ/host duo that came on the scene in NYC during the early 90's/golden age of the genre. They ran what was essentially a college radio station that was extremely ground breaking in that they introduced an amazing amount of folks to the public for the first time, including Biggie, Nas, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, etc... There's a classic Big L & Jay freestyle session that has been listened to/viewed on Youtube over a million times that came from their show. As a kid I had a a bunch of their shows on tape.

Anyways, Netflix is showing a new doc based on their careers, interviewing tons of artists and discussing the importance of their show. If anyone finds any of that interesting, I highly recommend.

10/10 just for the nostalgia alone.

What did you think of Snowden?

I also recommend Elvis & Nixon for a more light-hearted political movie and 13 Days if you haven't already seen them.
I tried wag the dog for more political but light hearted.. wasn't into it

I'm looking for more informative and apparently conspiracy based.. I'll check it out.

The candidate was good, but it could have gone so much further than it did.

I'm looking at "goodnight and goodluck" next. Maybe 1984 was made into a movie.

@The Human Q-Tip good suggestion

Best of enemies was great.

1984 was hard to get through

Best of enemies was great.

1984 was hard to get through

You're talking about 1984 with John Hurt? It's one of the best films yet made, IMHO.

There's two scores to the film; both are great but the Eurythmics one is really worth seeing set to the film IMHO; although the director didn't like it very much, hence all copies floating these days not having the original soundtrack.

You're talking about 1984 with John Hurt? It's one of the best films yet made, IMHO.

There's two scores to the film; both are great but the Eurythmics one is really worth seeing set to the film IMHO; although the director didn't like it very much, hence all copies floating these days not having the original soundtrack.
The soundtrack holds up over time..

Like v for vendetta, the personalization of the movie actually hindered interest (for me). I don't believe every movie needs a love story for people to care.

Dystopian movies are a little difficult to watch if the tone isn't curated carefully (the latest mad Max). The latter portion was the most interesting, I have yet to file it away.. I will probably watch it backwards, and forwards once each before it goes in the storage bin

The soundtrack holds up over time..

It does, but, depending upon how old you are, the Eurythmics soundtrack is pretty great.

Like v for vendetta, the personalization of the movie actually hindered interest (for me). I don't believe every movie needs a love story for people to care.

1984's "love" story is an interesting one; Winston and Julia aren't really in love, they just desperately need each other. Julia isn't even capable of true love in the way Winston is imagining or dreaming of; and Winston not only knows this, but partially resents her for being this way. Keep in mind, Winston is not the only man Julia is seeing, he's just the only man she trusts or would ever be emotionally intimate with.

Moreover, 1984 is not a political movie in the same sense that V for Vendetta is... 1984 is about the human condition; our existence, and how we are so malleable that even our emotions, thoughts, literally everything around us could be manipulated. The movie demonstrates that, even things we think are innately human, like personal relationships, could be turned against us.

The love story is one of several relationships that are destroyed by the antagonist. Families are torn apart, including Winston's (he's actually married)... His neighbor is denounced by his own daughter. Syme - the closest thing that Winston has to a friend - is denounced by his coworker. Winston is, at first, denounced by his landlord, then mentor, then ultimately the one person he thought loved him -- and in turn, he denounces her... This is explained expositionally in the film by O'Brien who argues the case for the Party.

In addition, the story of 1984 is actually quite prescient to the conversation you've been having in the Trump thread regarding anti-intellectualism. You can read the book and get Orwell's thoughts on the meaning of truth, value, and how eventually propaganda would replace truth using quite similar tactics that are used today.

Dystopian movies are a little difficult to watch if the tone isn't curated carefully (the latest mad Max). The latter portion was the most interesting, I have yet to file it away.. I will probably watch it backwards, and forwards once each before it goes in the storage bin

You should just read the book... it's an easy read.

Last edited:
It does, but, depending upon how old you are, the Eurythmics soundtrack is pretty great.

1984's "love" story is an interesting one; Winston and Julia aren't really in love, they just desperately need each other. Julia isn't even capable of true love in the way Winston is imagining or dreaming of; and Winston not only knows this, but partially resents her for being this way. Keep in mind, Winston is not the only man Julia is seeing, he's just the only man she trusts or would ever be emotionally intimate with.

Moreover, 1984 is not a political movie in the same sense that V for Vendetta is... 1984 is about the human condition; our existence, and how we are so malleable that even our emotions, thoughts, literally everything around us could be manipulated. The movie demonstrates that, even things we think are innately human, like personal relationships, could be turned against us.

The love story is one of several relationships that are destroyed by the antagonist. Families are torn apart, including Winston's (he's actually married)... His neighbor is denounced by his own daughter. Syme is denounced by his coworker. Winston is, at first, denounced by his landlord, then mentor, then ultimately the one person he thought loved him -- and in turn, he denounces her... This is explained expositionally in the film by O'Brien who argues the case for the Party.

In addition, the story of 1984 is actually quite prescient to the conversation you've been having in the Trump thread regarding anti-intellectualism. You can read the book and get Orwell's thoughts on the meaning of truth, value, and how eventually propaganda would replace truth using quite similar tactics that are used today.

You should just read the book... it's an easy read.
Honestly that's why I downloaded it, I was drawn by elements from Wikipedia about orwellianism, specifically from that conversation..incredible eye.

I haven't watched v for vendetta in a long time, and was much less able to comprehend the subject matter as I woke be today, but didn't much of it have to do with torturing Natalie Portman as means of manipulation to do something for the greater good? (In that instance, lack of fear is weaponized).

Definitely going to give it another shot, am going to arm myself with your previous post as things to watch for next time through.

Goodnight and good luck was amazing. So impressed I looked at George Clooney's other stuff..

I watched ides of March when I was young and remembered it being good.

Watching it now.. it's really fucking good.

I thought Network was a great movie about pop culture and how the media feeds it- could be relevant to what you are looking for. Howard Beales rants are still relevant, imo.

Army of One is getting panned by the critics, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Larry Charles puts together a semi-true story with equal parts real life crackpot and his own twisted humor that helped develop Kramer and Curb. Best Nick Cage performance in quite a few years. It runs about 25 minutes too long though.

7/10.

I thought Network was a great movie about pop culture and how the media feeds it- could be relevant to what you are looking for. Howard Beales rants are still relevant, imo.
Network is a pop version of better stuff, derivatives like 1984 and predecessors like goodnight and good luck.

Touches on a few interesting themes, most of which done better elsewhere. Dialogue is pretentious, characters all written with same voice.

Says more than most movies but less than the really good ones.
Edit: actually, at the 75% mark now, getting interesting again.

Edit: it's very good. It spans so many different subjects and turns on a dime, from saudis to relationship scripts and it's power struggles and in capabilities, to big business to government to theocracy and conspiracy and Illuminati.

It could have been ten movies, it was just one.

Charlie Wilson's war was very good. Found my "in" to my research on the middle east, Russia, and war. Entertaining enough to keep you interested enough to learn the story, touches on enough for you to do research on the subject matter after it ends.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was so fucking dynamic. He was as good a comedic actor as he was in serious roles.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."