• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 16-17 MVP Race

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the MVP of the season so far?

• James Harden

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Russell Westbrook

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • LeBron James

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Kevin Durant

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Basically you have nothing to counter, so you come back with condescending response.

I was just answering the question you appeared to be asking.

And Durant's numbers aren't good enough? Please... He's 54/40/86 while averaging 25.9 points per game. Do you honestly think Westbrook, Harden, or even Curry could ever do that while being that efficient?

He's averaging 25.9 points per game with a TS of 65%. That's pretty absurd. Westbrook and Harden, players you think are better, don't even come close to that efficiency.
No, I had no idea where you were going. We are discussing the possible mvp candidates and you go into a thing about depth and wins in the playoffs with only 8 guys. I just don't know how that factored in to the conversation.

As for his numbers, no, they won't be good enough. Him being efficient isn't enough. Not to overcome the stigma of who he's playing with. Telling me he's more efficient than Harden and Westbrook as some sort of deciding factor is crazy. He doesn't have to do nearly as much as those 2.

Speaking of, Westbrook dominated again tonight. Okc is now 20-12. Guy above said Durant could do what Westbrook is doing on a team lacking talent because he has done it. I say no. Ibaka was on that team with Durant while Westbrook was hurt. Westbrook has a good player in Steven Adams, and then nothing but regular guys. Its time to start looking at his 40+% usage rate and marvel. Its clearly not hurting his team.

Right now it's between he and harden. LeBron is 3rd and I'm not sure Durant is top 5.

With the crap Harden and Westbrook are doing, LeBron will need a 60 point triple double to even get people's attention at this point. Which LeBron is having a really good season and it will likely get overlooked.

Harden with 53 points, 16 boards, and 17 assists? C'mon. That is insanity.

Harden...Holy shit

And Westbrook got a trip doub in the 2nd Q?

Good god man

Yeah, I just noticed Harden's number. That's insane. Lebron would have to post something similar for a large stretch and it will be exhausting for him.

I don't think it's LeBron's year for the MVP. It's already between Harden and Westbrook. Finals MVP > regular season MVP. Keep that body healthy and dominate in the post season.

Again, I have to keep coming back to OKC's place in the west. The Thunder aren't going to crack the top-4. Say they finish 7th, which is not out of the question at all. Are people still voting Russ for MVP, even with a triple-double average?

Again, I have to keep coming back to OKC's place in the west. The Thunder aren't going to crack the top-4. Say they finish 7th, which is not out of the question at all. Are people still voting Russ for MVP, even with a triple-double average?

Yeah, but the Rockets are 26-9 and just two games behind the Spurs. I think Harden is in the lead because he combines the crazy stats and the team record better than any of the top players.

But you're not factoring in the sort of mythical stature of those numbers. Yes, generally speaking MVPs come from really good teams (although if he wins 50 games, I don't think the voters are going to punish because it ends up being the 6th seed or whatever). But, generally speaking, no one averages a triple-double.

Kevin Durant has had James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Steph Curry as teammates. Has their ever been such a spoiled and coddled player in the history of this sport?

It is pretty amazing. By the time Durant was expected to win, Westbrook was a top 20 player. Within a couple of years, Westbrook was arguably a top 5 player. Harden immediately became a top 5ish player as soon as he left OKC, which means he probably already was, it was just harder to see with him coming off the bench.

Then he joins the league MVP, another top 5 player.

He's never had to carry a team the way LeBron has. Or Harden has. Or Westbrook is doing now.

Not really his fault, but he's been pretty blessed in his career.

I don't see how Harden doesn't win this. He also should have won it two years ago but whatevs.

It's Harden's to lose at this point, unfortunately. Maybe if the Rockets end up with under 55 wins and the Cavs something like 64 or more, LeBron could steal it.

It's Harden's to lose at this point, unfortunately. Maybe if the Rockets end up with under 55 wins and the Cavs something like 64 or more, LeBron could steal it.

Yeah, it's really something just having that in the back of your mind. Like man, we are doing so many REALLY NICE things right now that is literally NEVER heard of in situations like ours all those years ago. LeBron literally changes EVERYTHING. He is the most valuable player to the business of the NBA let alone the sports league.

But this year's meme (besides 2016 fucking sucking because of the recency of popular deaths near the end of the year (and on an admittedly, odd frequency) is triple doubles. And it's really funny, besides logically using the argument of trends aside you have:

One player probably averaging a triple double (okay, close to it) on a non-contender

vs

One player who gets a lot of them and still wins.

So what does the public really value?

And you're telling me LeBron, aged 32, doesn't fit the bill for both?

So... is there anyone still here that would take Klay Thompson over James Harden.

OKC

the team that had James Harden, Kevin Durant, and Russel Westbrook

Damn

Damn

Another beautiful thing that goes in the kings resume. Only person able to beat that juggernaut trio in a finals series.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."