• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 NBA Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mhi

From the thrill of victory To the agony of defeat
Reaction score
I think we have a pick right. At least for now we do :chuckle:.

The 2017 NBA Draft will be the "strongest in a decade", according to multiple NBA scouts and general managers. Chad Ford projects 10-15 potential All-Stars in the class, headlined by Markelle Fultz.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider...ard-20-ranking-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz-more

What are the chances one of these bad boys falls to us if they get injured? It also means the later round of the first round will have potential rotational players

Thursday, December 22, 2016
Big Board 2.0: Ranking top prospects in stellar NBA draft class
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Multiple NBA scouts and general managers are saying this is the strongest draft in a decade. We could be looking at a potential 10-15 All-Stars in this group. That's extraordinary.

Even more impressive? The majority of the players on our Big Board are freshmen, including 13 of the players in our top 15, and a whopping 19 total.

1. Markelle Fultz

i

Previous rank: No. 3

Washington
Freshman
Guard

There's still no consensus No. 1 pick, but for the first month of the season, there hasn't been a freshman with a more complete game than Fultz.

His stat line has been ridiculous. He has been a dominant scorer, elite 3-point shooter, terrific rebounder and special passer, while racking up steals defensively. There are very few holes in his game.

His only real issue? He's playing on a mediocre team without much help.

2. Lonzo Ball
i

Previous rank: No. 6

UCLA
Freshman
Guard

While Fultz may be the most complete player in the country, Ball has certainly been the most electric.

His otherworldly passing, deep, deep range on his jumper and ability to explode off the floor have offered a dizzying array of highlights for the undefeated Bruins. Scouts think he's Jason Kidd with a jump shot.

For a team that wants to play the way the Golden State Warriors play, Ball will be very tempting as a lead guard. The only thing that gives scouts pause? His unorthodox jump shot has some questioning whether he can keep shooting 3s at a 45 percent clip.

3. Josh Jackson
i

Previous rank: No. 1

Kansas
Freshman
Forward

Jackson began the season at No. 1 and has been impressive for the Jayhawks. He has proved to be an elite playmaker for a wing and has shown the skills to help his team in ways that don't always show up in the box score.

His 25 percent 3-point shooting and 55 percent free throw shooting are the big reasons his stock has slipped slightly.

4. Malik Monk
i

Previous rank: No. 15

Kentucky
Freshman
Guard

Monk dropped 47 points on North Carolina on Saturday, and truthfully, that still didn't really capture what he's capable of as a scorer. His 3-point shooting, ballhandling and ability to finish at the rim make him the most elite scorer in the draft.

If he were 6-foot-6, instead of 6-foot-3 -- or if he had more of a chance to play the point at Kentucky -- he'd challenge Fultz for the No. 1 spot on the board.

5. Dennis Smith

i

Previous rank: No. 4

NC State
Freshman
Guard

Smith has a special combination of elite athleticism and toughness that has allowed him to thrive as a scorer at NC State. I've heard a lot of Steve Francis comps from NBA scouts, and that seems about right.

His jump shooting is the major concern at the moment. He was shooting just 28 percent from beyond the arc this year before hitting five 3s against Fairfield on Sunday.

6. Jayson Tatum
i

Previous rank: No. 7

Duke
Freshman
Forward

Tatum missed the first eight games of the season for Duke with an ankle injury, but he seems no worse for the wear. He had a dominant coming-out party against Florida in early December when he put his elite midrange and post game on full display.

Scouts are still waiting to see if he can make the transition to being a reliable 3-point shooter, though. He's 4-for-15 from deep so far.

7. Harry Giles

i

Previous rank: No. 2

Duke
Freshman
Forward

After missing the first 11 games of the year (on top of his entire senior season) due to a knee injury, Giles finally got some game action this week. He played just four minutes and didn't record any points or rebounds against Tennessee State on Monday and put up just one point and two boards in six minutes against Elon on Wednesday.

8. Jonathan Isaac
i

Previous rank: No. 8
FSU
Freshman
Forward

Isaac is yet another freshman who has caught the eyes of NBA scouts with a combination of great size, length and shooting ability for a player his size (the 6-foot-11 forward is hitting 38 percent from 3).

Strength is his biggest issue, but it hasn't stopped him from putting up solid numbers early for the Seminoles.

9. De'Aaron Fox

i

Previous rank: No. 9
Kentucky
Freshman
Guard

There isn't a faster player in the country than Fox. He's a blur with the ball, both in the open court and in half-court sets. His quickness and ballhandling abilities are elite, and he's showed terrific playmaking instincts at Kentucky -- but the shooting is a big issue.

He's hitting just 15 percent of his 3s and only 30 percent of his 2-point jumpers for Kentucky.

10. Miles Bridges

i

Previous rank: No. 24
Michigan State
Freshman
Forward

Bridges has missed the past four games with an ankle injury, though he's on the mend and expected to play again soon.

When he has played, Bridges has wowed scouts with his combination of an NBA body, explosive athleticism and playmaking ability. The fact that he's hitting 39 percent of his 3s only adds to his value.

11. Lauri Markkanen
r161448_400x600_2-3.jpg

Previous rank: No. 17
Arizona
Freshman
Forward

Markkanen has been terrific for the Wildcats in the early going. He's shooting 44 percent from 3 and he plays with an elite basketball IQ.

Teams would like to see him rebound the ball better, but in a league where stretch-4s are the rage, Markkanen is a highly coveted prospect.

12. Frank Ntilikina
20367.jpg

Previous rank: No. 5
France
Guard

Ntilikina is off to a slow start in the French league, averaging just 3.8 PPG and 0.5 APG in 13 MPG for Strasbourg. Scouts are still high on him, though.

His speed and passing ability scream lottery pick. But with so many freshmen dominating this year, it's harder to justify a high pick on a player who is struggling to get meaningful minutes in Europe.

13. OG Anunoby
r64968_400x600_2-3.jpg

Previous rank: No. 16
Indiana
Sophomore
Forward

Anunoby was off to a terrific start for Indiana before a sprained ankle suffered against the Tar Heels kept him out of the past three games. However, he looks to be back to his old self, scoring 19 points, grabbing 9 rebounds and blocking 4 shots in just 19 minutes against Delaware State on Monday.

His combination of elite strength, defensive instincts and ability to stretch the floor could make him an ideal 3-and-D player in the NBA.

14. T.J. Leaf
r159109_400x600_2-3.jpg

Previous rank: N/A
UCLA
Freshman
Forward

Leaf was the highest riser of anyone on our draft board. While he was a coveted high school prospect, scouts didn't expect to see this level of production from him so early in college.

He can score from anywhere on the floor, rebounds and plays hard. He's also a fluid athlete with a good feel for the game. He needs to get stronger, and his defense isn't great, but all the basketball skills are there.

15. Robert Williams
r161620_400x600_2-3.jpg

Texas A&M
Freshman
Forward/center

Williams is another player rocketing up the board as more scouts see him in meaningful action.

He's got elite length and athleticism for his position. His defense is ahead of his offense right now, but there are signs that Williams can contribute offensively as well.

He's raw, but the physical tools and motor create a pretty high ceiling for him.

16. Ivan Rabb
20253.jpg

Previous rank: No. 10
Cal
Sophomore
Forward

Rabb has been solid for Cal, but his progress hasn't quite lived up to the expectations that many scouts had for him after he decided to come back to school for his sophomore season.

Whether he's able develop a stroke out past the 3-point line is the biggest hang-up for scouts.

17. Terrance Ferguson
i

Previous rank: No. 20
Australia
Guard

Ferguson's decision to dump Arizona and play pro ball in Australia hurt his initial draft stock after a stellar performance for Team USA at the Nike Hoop Summit. But he's slowly winning back scouts after he moved into the starting lineup for Adelaide several games ago.

He's still strictly a shooter at this point, but those guys come at a premium in the NBA.

18. Edrice Adebayo
i

Previous rank: No. 12
Kentucky
Freshman
Forward

"Bam" Adebayo has been solid for Kentucky, but not quite the dominant paint presence coach John Calipari had hoped.

The strong, athletic big man is averaging 12.5 PPG and 8.0 RPG, though he hasn't been as imposing in the middle as some scouts would like. He has the body and the springs, but the feel for the game still appears to be lacking.

19. Jarrett Allen
i

Previous rank: No. 11
Texas
Freshman
Center

Allen is another big man who has been decent early but hasn't wowed anyone. His defense remains his calling card, though both his rebounding and shot-blocking numbers are a little underwhelming.

In a draft without a lot of elite centers, his size and activity in the paint should keep him in the top 20.

20. Marques Bolden
i

Previous rank: No. 13
Duke
Freshman
Center

Like Tatum, Bolden missed the first eight games of the season with a leg injury. His role on the team has been more limited upon his return, and in Duke's only real tough game since his return, he got just two minutes coming of the bench against Florida.

It looks like Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski is going to bring him along slowly, and with Harry Giles now back, Bolden may not be able to put up the numbers to justify a higher pick.

21. Omer Yurtseven
r83710_2_400x600_2-3.jpg

Previous rank: No. 18
NC State
Freshman
Center

Yurtseven finally made it on the court after a nine-game NCAA suspension for amateurism issues and was impressive in his debut, scoring 12 points and grabbing 4 rebounds in 24 minutes. He also hit a 3, showing off his versatile skill set for a 7-footer.

If he has a big second half in the ACC, he'll rise.

22. Tony Bradley
r158479_400x600_2-3.jpg

UNC
Freshman
Center

Bradley is quietly putting together a very solid freshman season, and some scouts now have him ahead of Allen, Bolden and Yurtseven on their draft boards. He's not much of a shot-blocker or scorer, but he has a very positive impact on the Tar Heels whenever he's on the floor.

This isn't an elite draft for traditional centers, and Bradley will benefit from it.

23. Tyler Lydon
i

Previous rank: No. 22
Syracuse
Sophomore
Forward

Lydon got off to a bit of a slow start for the Orange, but he had his most dominant game of the season versus Georgetown on Saturday, scoring 29 points, grabbing 9 boards and shooting a scintillating 12-for-13 from the field.

If he can start contributing with that sort of drive and energy consistently, he'll move up about 10 spots on the Big Board.

24. Jawun Evans
r156608_400x600_2-3.jpg

Oklahoma State
Sophomore
Guard

There have been a lot of terrific freshmen point guards this season, and they've overshadowed what Evans has done for the Cowboys.

He's been both an elite scorer and ballhandler for Oklahoma State, and a growing number of scouts think he has a future in the NBA.

25. Edmond Sumner
r57793_400x600_2-3.jpg

Previous rank: No. 14
Xavier
Sophomore
Guard

Sumner is scoring at a higher clip than ever, but his strong play this summer hasn't quite translated into the season many scouts expected.

His 26 percent shooting from 3 is the biggest red flag right now.

26. Thomas Bryant
i

Previous rank: No. 25
Indiana
Sophomore
Center

Bryant got off to a terrific start before falling back to Earth a bit the past few games. His shooting percentage is way down this season as he looks to show off his perimeter game.

His lack of elite athleticism hurts his upside, but he plays hard and with skill, and enough teams like him that he's got a good shot at going in the first round.

27. Rodions Kurucs
r118671_400x600_2-3.jpg

Previous rank: No. 21
Latvia
Forward

Kurucs is playing for Barcelona II, averaging 6.0 PPG in 14.5 MPG while shooting 36 percent from the field.

Those numbers don't really excite anyone, but his upside is terrific, and teams will want to draft-and-stash a few players as we get to the end of the first round.

28. Isaiah Hartenstein
Previous rank: No. 23
Germany
Forward

Hartenstein is getting a little playing time in the Lithuanian league for Zalgiris right now, averaging 4.8 PPG and 3.0 RPG in about 13 MPG.

Again, those numbers aren't really going to get anyone psyched, but scouts think he's got a much stronger upside than he's showing right now.

29. Josh Hart
20314.jpg

Villanova
Senior
Guard

Hart is the only senior on our Big Board, but he deserves it after carrying Villanova to a No. 1 ranking in the nation.

He's averaging 20 PPG for the Wildcats and shooting an impressive 43 percent from 3. There's very little that is sexy about his game, but some teams see a Danny Green-type role for him in the NBA.

30. Luke Kennard
r42022_400x600_2-3.jpg

Duke
Sophomore
Guard

Kennard has been the best player for the Blue Devils in early play, averaging 20.4 PPG, shooting 43 percent from 3 and adding 6 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

While his jump shooting is his main draw to NBA teams, there's a toughness and versatility there that is very appealing to scouts.

Next five in
Cameron Oliver, F, So., Nevada; Jonathan Jeanne, F/C, France; Kostja Mushidi, SG, Belgium; Ike Anigbogu, F/C, Fr., UCLA; Alec Peters, F, Sr., Valparaiso

Jawun Evans is surely an NBA player. When I look at him I see Baby Chris Paul. There is maturity to his game, he is composed, great shooter and a good passer.
He is projected to be picked where the Cavs currently pick, I would take him as a BPA, I'm betting everything on this guy to outplay his draft position.

This draft is very very deep. I'm going out on a limb here but I believe there are high upside players well into the 2nd round.

Hopefully Gilbert will buy another 2nd round pick.
It was already discussed elsewhere, but we won't have money available to buy picks this year because we sent it all out in trades. Unless we acquire a 2nd round pick via trade, we won't be able to get one or have any pick this draft.

It was already discussed elsewhere, but we won't have money available to buy picks this year because we sent it all out in trades. Unless we acquire a 2nd round pick via trade, we won't be able to get one or have any pick this draft.

I thought you got a set amount of money to spend each year to buy picks and add into trades. The draft starts the new season so we should have money.

So can't buy a 2nd round pick? I'd look to get one in a trade then.

I thought we still had some money left? Felder was on last year's money, and this year we've just sent out around 1.2M for Mo Williams?

I thought you got a set amount of money to spend each year to buy picks and add into trades. The draft starts the new season so we should have money.

Teams get $3.5m this year I think. That amount doesn't reset until July 1 (after the draft), and the Cavs only have $200k remaining after picking up some of Mo's contract for Atlanta I think.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."