• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2016-2017 Season Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
That's not the problem....look at our last "great" recruiting class...2015, we had five 4* recruits, only one from Ohio. Then they pretty much all left except Lyle. Those misses really set this team back. Thad thought he was getting some great players to add to the depth we had and now they're all gone. Keep in mind, aside from Lyle, none of them are performing up to their recruit status this year so they had everyone fooled. We were just the unfortunate soul that received commitments from them.

ANDDD I'm still salty that we didn't even look at Trey Burke b/c "we had Shannon Scott locked up." If Burke had been on our team with Sully, Buford, and Craft, we would've won a national championship. I know his family pretty well (frequented the place i served at for years) There's a reason his dad is always rocking a UM hat and they are Columbus natives.

I just think we've had some bad luck on the recruiting trail lately, coupled with the lack of player development. I am not sure what the answer is.

We'll see how those guys do once they actually start playing elsewhere. Look at how good Jordan Sibert looked at Dayton after transferring. He looked like a bust at OSU.

Failing to retain recruits is just as bad as not getting them at all, and it raises red flags for future classes. It's no wonder that was our last class in the top 35.

For me, there needs to be a change at the top if OSU wants to get better. Matta is a sinking ship.

Last edited:
We'll see how those guys do once they actually start playing elsewhere. Look at how good Jordan Sibert looked at Dayton after transferring. He looked like a bust at OSU.

Failing to retain recruits is just as bad as not getting them at all, and it raises red flags for future classes. It's not wonder that was our last class in the top 35.

For me, there needs to be a change at the top if OSU wants to get better. Matta is a sinking ship.

Why the hate for Matta though? Just based on recent team performance?

Why the hate for Matta though? Just based on recent team performance?

To be fair, I didn't think he was doing a good job even during the Sullinger years.

I don't think he's be a good coach or recruiter for quite a few years. His health has factored into that, but in the end it doesn't really matter why he hasn't gotten the job done. It just matters that he hasn't gotten it done. Reminds me a lot of Rick Barnes at Texas. He did well enough to stay off the hot seat for a lot of years, but eventually you just need to cut ties.

Last edited:
To be fair, I didn't think he was doing a good job even during the Sullinger years.

I don't think he's be a good coach or recruiter for quite a few years. His health has factored into that, but in the end it doesn't really matter why he hasn't gotten the job done. It just matters that he hasn't gotten it done. Reminds me a lot of Rick Barnes at Texas. He did well enough to stay off the hot seat for a lot of years, but eventually you just need to cut ties.

I agree that health is the main factor in our decline unfortunately...he use to be much more active in practices...his nerve issue has been a major thing to overcome...perhaps he is unable to do it. I can't write him off yet. He made our program nationally relevant, giving us an incredible stretch. Comparing him to Rick Barnes is a bit flawed, IMO. People are quick to forget that Thad has one of the best winning percentages of all time. The only active coaches ahead of him are Williams, Calipari, and Coach K.

I think one big factor which has hindered our program is the one-and-done system. If you have 1-2 down years in a row, you're not going to attract the top recruits in this day and age. You must stay relevant year in and year out, which seems like an impossible task.

Still have faith we can turn it around. If we don't this year, Thad's leash will be shortened but I think it's a little early to grab the pitchforks already.

I agree that health is the main factor in our decline unfortunately...he use to be much more active in practices...his nerve issue has been a major thing to overcome...perhaps he is unable to do it. I can't write him off yet. He made our program nationally relevant, giving us an incredible stretch. Comparing him to Rick Barnes is a bit flawed, IMO. People are quick to forget that Thad has one of the best winning percentages of all time. The only active coaches ahead of him are Williams, Calipari, and Coach K.

I think one big factor which has hindered our program is the one-and-done system. If you have 1-2 down years in a row, you're not going to attract the top recruits in this day and age. You must stay relevant year in and year out, which seems like an impossible task.

Still have faith we can turn it around. If we don't this year, Thad's leash will be shortened but I think it's a little early to grab the pitchforks already.

Bill Self has a better winning % too. The difference is that those guys are all still winning right now. Matta has been trending down. His recruiting has been below OSU standards, his player development has been lacking, and his X's and O's appear outdated on both ends.

Greg Oden made our program nationally relevant, and he was coming with or without Matta. Now, Thad did a great job with that group, and overachieved big time the year before Oden, so I'll give him credit for that. The last 3-4 years he has done a poor job though, and that's all that really matters.

I think they should have "encouraged him to retire" after last year. Rick Barnes won a ton of games, too (402-180, .691), and prior to his last 4 garbage years he was even better (342-123, .735), which is really similar to Matta's record (327-110, .748) right now.

I also don't think you can blame the one and done system when other programs are finding ways to do well year in and year out.

Final nails going into the coffin for Matta. Program continues to slip. Can't have this many upperclassmen that have not improved a bit since they enrolled.

He's done some great thing during his tenure, but this can't continue.

It was time a couple years ago. Any longer and we're getting into Bowden territory.

Yeah.

It's about that time.

I know that it has been a disappointing season. But, it is nice to see the Buckeyes win here toward the end of the season. If they beat Indiana this weekend, it will be three wins to end the season including a nice win over Wisconsin.

You know, they have been in a lot of close games.. it just seems they are 1 talent level below competing..

Hopefully this is the year Matta retires

They've been frustrating to watch this year. I think they do have talent on the team. For whatever reason, it hasn't translated to success on the court.

I really thought this would be the year these guys gelled as a unit but the lack of focus in-game coupled with the ridiculous lack of leadership problems being aired out publicly tells me this is Thad's last year as a head coach.

It's a shame b/c i was rooting for him this year and i am an avid supporter of Thad. I just think he's lost something over the years. Could be due to his health, not sure what to think. I thought the addition of Chris Grant on staff this year was going to do wonders for us. Instead it was one of the most underwhelming seasons i've experienced as a fan.

I really thought we had a potential Sweet 16 team at the beginning of the year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."