• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

On The Clock: 2017 RCF NFL Mock Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
@WellYouNeednt I'd be interested in making a move for one of those QB's.

Trubisky is refusing to play for us and there's a guy we like left on the board.

Welp, looks like you have a problem. "The Chef's", have no interest in Mitchell.

I am, however, willing to let you and Mitchell to kiss my ass.

No Rolling back picks... Oakland formally rescinds its pick of Sidney Jones. We will make the pick now...

The Oakland Raiders are up to their old renegade tricks again! Not only did they select a CB who tore his achilles during his pro-day which shocked the league, they also successfully petitioned the league to rescind the pick! Without further ado, here is the official Raiders pick (or is it???)
zVFIAIDi.jpg

With the 24th Pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select...

John Ross, WR Washington

john-ross-8025d18fd1d22fe6.jpg

UWFootball27_22.jpg
Old habits die hard. The Raiders do not have a glaring need at WR but just can't avoid the raw speed Ross has. The new 40 champ, will become the next member of a long line of speeders the Raiders have selected early in the draft.

usa_today_9915416.0.jpg
OVERVIEW
Ross was just getting started on his way to stardom in Washington when he tore his left ACL in the spring of 2015. He had become known as a kick returner (three TDs in 2013-14) and big-play receiver in limited touches (16-208, TD in 2013; 17-371, 4 TD in 2014) before having to redshirt his third year at UW. In fact, coaches liked Ross' athleticism so much he started three games at cornerback (INT, two pass breakups) in a season he gained honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors. In his return to the field in 2016, Ross became a star, garnering second-team All-American honors and first-team All-Pac-12 accolades with 81 catches for 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns (tied for second in the nation).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Has home-run gear to yank the top off of defenses. Vertical speed demands respect and creates open throws underneath. Corners open hips early to turn and sprint, leaving his curl and dig routes unchallenged. Feet are fire. On verticals from the slot, sells the corner route and stems to the post with a burst for easy separation and a comfortable throwing window for the quarterback. Hands are generally solid. Plus hand-eye coordination. Natural ball-tracker who locates the deep ball early and watches it. Dangerous show-and-go open-field ability after the catch. Able to win with slants or fades near the goal line. Eludes the first tackler and can turn a short one into a long one in a heartbeat. Has enough size to work from outside or from the slot. Saw four of his eight carries go for 15-plus yards. Has returned at least one kickoff for a touchdown in each of his three years at Washington.

WEAKNESSES

Undersized with below-average play strength. Struggled to get into his routes cleanly and impact the game against the physical cornerbacks at Alabama. Weight will creep too far out over his toes at times. Tape shows occasional stumbles over nothing but turf in his routes and after the catch. Needs to do better job of working back to the throw. Has to learn to make contested catches. Will need to sharpen his short and intermediate routes to become a true three-level target. Has had a major injury to both knees. The long-term health of both knees will be a concern that has to be answered at the combine.

SOURCES TELL US

"He will get emotional on the field when he drops one or when their quarterback leaves an open deep ball short, and I've heard other scouts call it 'bad body language.' I just think he's an edgy player. He's competitive and shows it. You'll take some attitude when a guy scores as many touchdowns as he does." -- West Coast scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Will Fuller

BOTTOM LINE

Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat.
-Lance Zierlein
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/john-ross?id=2558010

He gets another hour, then I'll give him a placeholder pick.

I'm here. Give me a sec. Dumbass from TWC (or as they like to call it, Spectrum) showed up and knocked out my internet all day.

With the 28th Pick in the 2017 RCF NFL Mock Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select...

GAREON CONLEY, CB, THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
gareon-conley-0103.jpg

Dallas could use a good CB, and it was between Conley and Adoree' Jackson (USC) for the spot. Since I'm a Buckeye (and I don't like the name Adoree'), Conley was the pick, reuniting him with Ezekiel Elliott even though they don't even play on the same side of the ball.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Has NFL size with above-average length. Plays long. At his best when playing with inside leverage and trapping receivers against the boundary. Shades receivers with a basketball stance -- wide base, bent knees and wide arms. Creates challenging throwing lanes to target. Allowed just 37 percent completion rate. Press-man talent with zone instincts. Shows discipline and technique on verticals and curls. Matches with his feet rather than grabbing. Senses when his pattern is designed to clear space for another receiver and reacts accordingly. Has plus burst to the throw. Uses length to play around receiver and bat passes down underneath without interfering. Runs well and sinks into receiver's lap down the field, getting his head around to make a play on the ball. Plays the ball with soft hands and outstanding timing.

WEAKNESSES

Can be a little tight-hipped in his transitions. Pattern-match was just average when facing off against more advanced route trees. Michigan receivers created separation and some panic in Conley with their inside releases and crossing routes. Got caught reaching and holding in attempt to recover. Will occasionally default to face-guarding rather than turning to find ball. Can be slow to digest route combinations and lose track of his man. Doesn’t look as comfortable or confident in off-man. Plays small in run support and needs to work on consistency as a tackler. Gets driven off his spot by blocking receivers and rarely charges forward to attack near the line of scrimmage.

SOURCES TELL US
"He's not as good as the other cornerback (Marshon Lattimore), but he's a good corner. If he measures over 6-foot and runs in the low 4.4s he will come off the board on Thursday night." -- North area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Aqib Talib

BOTTOM LINE
Press-corner with experience at both cornerback spots and an ability to fit into a variety of coverage techniques. He plays with good top-end speed and has the ball skills to challenge and defend passes on any level. He can step in right away in zone coverage, but could struggle to match patterns from a pedal. He will likely be targeted by teams seeking long cornerbacks who can crowd and trail receivers down the field. He has the talent to become an early starter, but he must improve in run support.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gareon-conley?id=2558062

@CosmoKramer and da Bears are on the clock.

71FMHfZSn%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

With the 29th pick of the 2017 RCF Mock Draft the Chicago Bears select...

DeShaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Deshaun-Watson-Chicago-Bears.jpg

HtWt: 6'2'' - 221 lbs.
College: Clemson
ESPN Rank: #36 - 86/100 grade
NFLN Rank: #30's - 6.27 grade
CBS Rank: #22

My Take:
The Bears end the free fall for the draft's most polarizing prospect. Watson was penciled in as a top-10 pick after a thrilling national title win over Alabama, but has seen his stock fall after failing to crack 50 MPH at the combine.

While Clemson's playmakers and scheme masked his so-so ball placement on deep throws and iffy decision-making, there's still a lot to like with his game. His mobility in and out of the pocket is elite, his accuracy within 20 yards is great to all sides of the field, and he's a proven big game player.

With the signing of Mike Glennon (gulp) Chicago hopefully has a bridge QB that can hold the fort down until Watson is ready to start. Glennon's contract looks awful, but it's front loaded with the option of cutting him next off season with only $4 million in dead money to spread across '18 and '19.

To touch on the trade with GB: Parting with Leonard Floyd was tough, as he's a talented pass rusher with three years left on a rookie contract, but the chance to add two early draft picks and a proven WR was too much to turn down.

Floyd is old for a second year player, turning 25 at the start of this upcoming season, and had trouble staying healthy last season with a nagging calf injury. He was also carted off the field in Week 12 with a scary neck injury that resulted in him missing a game.

Overall he suffered two concussions last year, potentially clouding his future durability and making him expendable at the right price. But back to Watson:

0ap3000000621445.jpg

Strengths:
  • Winner; Champion
  • Excellent character
  • Strong leadership skills
  • Work ethic
  • Mobility
  • Strong arm
  • Quick release
  • Flashes ability to make some beautiful throws
  • Tough; takes big hits
  • Can make all the throws required
  • Throws a catchable ball
  • Can pick up yards on the ground
  • Has some pocket presence
  • Great teammate
  • Very experienced against good competition
  • Gritty player
  • Difficult to sack
  • Upside
  • Resilient
  • Confident
  • Won a championship and two straight title games
Weaknesses:
  • Can be inaccurate
  • Poor ball placement
  • Ball security; throws too many interceptions
  • Field vision
  • Working through progressions
  • Will need to learn working under center
  • Will need to learn working a NFL huddle
  • Will need to improve footwork
  • Prone to throwing too high
  • Can stare down his primary read
  • Needs development for a pro-style offense
  • College offense inflated his stats
  • College offense ran lot of plays he won't run in the NFL
  • Tore an ACL in 2014
NFL Comparison
Marcus Mariota

Bottom Line: RWTW
Teams will have to weigh the inconsistent field vision and decision-making against his size, athleticism, leadership and production. While not perfect, teams can add checks to both arm and accuracy boxes for Watson. However, discussions about whether or not his areas of improvement can be corrected will likely determine whether a team will view him as a high-upside prospect or a franchise quarterback. Watson's transition from Clemson's offense to a pro-style attack will obviously take time, but his combination of intangibles and athletic ability make him worth a first-round selection.

@sportscoach and the Pittsburgh Steelers are on the clock.

Listening to trades, may have a deal in place, just waiting for final confirmation!

new-york-jets-old-facebook-timeline-cover1.jpg

With the 30th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the New York "Football" Jets select......

Deshone Kizer, QB, NOTRE DAME

ct-notre-dame-offense-deshone-kizer-spt-1017-20161016

My Take:

After trying to contact Cowboys owner @Stark to jump the Bears for Watson and getting no response (we think the 49ers had something to do with this.... COLLUSION!!! @Randolphkeys ). The Jets settle for a prospect with a massive amount of upside as the QB domino's begin to fall. After acquiring AJ McCarron earlier in the draft, the Jets have time to let Kizer sit and develop. He has all the tools to become one a very good NFL QB, however Kizer has been extremely inconsistent and will need to work on ball placement and accuracy at the next level.

The video below vs Texas showcases flashes of the raw potential of Kizer's game and how a lot of his skills can translate well to the next level.

Overview
Kizer got a chance to start at quarterback for Notre Dame as a redshirt freshman in 2015 when Malik Zaire had surgery on a broken ankle to end his season. The big-bodied, athletic passer played well given his lack of experience, completing 63 percent of his passes for 2,884 yards and 21 touchdowns. Kizer earned the starting spot coming into the 2016 season, as head coach Brian Kelly saw the young man's potential. He started the season strong (five touchdown passes against Texas in the opener) but fell into a midseason slump that saw him benched for Zaire at times. He threw for 2,925 yards and 26 touchdowns for the 4-8 Irish last year, and received sufficient positive feedback from NFL sources about his ability to leave school.

Analysis

Strengths
Big quarterback with a big arm. Can make all of the throws. Has step and crank power to drive throws into the seams. Has the arm talent and willingness to challenge safeties on both intermediate and deep throws. Looks the part with thick frame to withstand NFL punishment. Over the top delivery creates tight spirals. Has powerful grip allowing for aggressive pump fakes to move defense around. When he's comfortable, will tie feet with his eyes as he scans the field. Adequate drive accuracy. If he feels a completion is imminent, he'll stand in and take a punishing shot. Strong, authoritative runner with the speed to hit a big play with his feet. Two-way threat in the red zone. Posted 18 rushing touchdowns over last two seasons.

Weaknesses
Gets stuck on primary read missing out on early openers around field. May not have eyes or compact release to spot and hit flashing targets. Can be too reliant upon arm strength over mechanics. Wants open throwing window rather than operating with early anticipation. Can improve in leading receivers and throwing stationary targets open. Too hesitant. Gets caught in pump fake vortex at times. Quick to drop his eyes and halt progressions when pocket warms up. Inconsistent decision-maker. Showed dreadful lapses in judgement that lead to interceptions. Too willing to make off-balanced heaves. Benched against Stanford. Had at least one interception in 15 of his 23 starts. Will take a sack despite having ample time to read and throw.

Sources Tell Us
"I could tell you he should have gone back to school, but he also has some things you can work with. We need to find out how he will handle the board when our coaches put him through different reads. That's going to be huge for him. He's a bright kid, but I'm not sure he sees what he needs to see all time." - NFC midwest area scout

NFL Comparison
Steve McNair

Bottom Line
The comparison to Steve McNair could raise eyebrows, but that is based primarily on size, mobility and arm strength. The aforementioned traits often land a quarterback in the first round, but Kizer's second-half drop in production combined with inconsistent decision-making and accuracy should be a speed bump for teams ready to jump in head-first on the traits. Kizer has the ability to become a quality starter, but has to improve his ball placement and field vision first.

I'm willing to bet @CosmoKramer was just afraid to open the pm to find semi-nude Garoppolo photos. I'm all for a Garoppolo - Browns trade in real life, but I'm distancing myself from his RCF fanbase. Kizer is an intriguing prospect of you don't expect him to play for at least a year.

I might just get to make my 2nd round selection tonight! Stoked!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."