• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Draft Prospects

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Lot of guys who will go undrafted this year who will be better than 2nd round picks from last year.

I think we go Delly on one of them and toss a partially guaranteed deal at one to land one of the better ones.

For sure. This draft class is insanely deep. To be honest I don't remember a draft were I thought so highly of the 2nd rounders.
I'm kinda bummed we don't pick this year tbh. I think every rookie has a chance to be impactful if he is athletic enough/good shooter and plays with LBJ.

What do you think of the 2018 draft?

For sure. This draft class is insanely deep. To be honest I don't remember a draft were I thought so highly of the 2nd rounders.
I'm kinda bummed we don't pick this year tbh. I think every rookie has a chance to be impactful if he is athletic enough/good shooter and plays with LBJ.

What do you think of the 2018 draft?

They can find a good athlete who can shoot who is undrafted that they can develop at the end of the bench, pretty easily too...even better, it can be a very experienced college senior who would accept a role, which I would prefer on this team.

Also, Cedi is in effect going to be our 1st round pick, technically...and he fits that bill that you want from a player...

But Korver for the rest of this season and the next 2 or so seasons will be way more impactful than any draft pick we would have made in this draft...that's the price you pay in win now mode, one every team in the league has had to pay when in the same situation.

And I don't know. Too far away to be talking about the 2018 class. I remember all the "best draft since the LBJ, Wade, Melo, Bosh" shit from a few years ago with the 2012 or 2014 draft, while the 2011 draft was shit on for having "no impact players". Judging kids before they even make it through a college season is something I will never do.

Last edited:
They can find a good athlete who can shoot who is undrafted that they can develop at the end of the bench, pretty easily too...even better, it can be a very experienced college senior who would accept a role, which I would prefer on this team.

Also, Cedi is in effect going to be our 1st round pick, technically...and he fits that bill that you want from a player...

But Korver for the rest of this season and the next 2 or so seasons will be way more impactful than any draft pick we would have made in this draft...that's the price you pay in win now mode, one every team in the league has had to pay when in the same situation.

And I don't know. Too far away to be talking about the 2018 class. I remember all the "best draft since the LBJ, Wade, Melo, Bosh" shit from a few years ago with the 2012 or 2013 draft, while the 2011 draft was shit on for having "no impact players". Judging kids before they even make it through a college season is something I will never do.

I hope we send some good scounts. I know you can find more than decent undrafted seniors that are athlethes/shooters. But I don't remember seeing so many intriguing bigs at the end of the 1st round for quite some time. That's my only gripe.

I hope we send some good scounts. I know you can find more than decent undrafted seniors that are athlethes/shooters. But I don't remember seeing so many intriguing bigs at the end of the 1st round for quite some time. That's my only gripe.

Sure there have. Larry Nance Jr., Bobby Portis, Clint Capela, Gorgui Dieng, Mason Plumlee, Rudy Gobert, Festus Ezeli, Draymond, Faried, Trevor Booker, Whiteside, Jokic, Hernangomez, Ivica Zubac...

All of those guys have been drafted in the 20s or later in the last 6 years alone.

Question is can we hit on one, not if they exist.

But I hope they go after a big combo guard undrafted guy this season...worry about grabbing a big after next season.

Jokic was an insane find. Picked at 41 and if Embiid never gets injury free he has a shot at someday being seen as the best player from that draft (and it was a very good draft too!). Already pretty clear he is in the top 5.

but Cavs have never been great at those kind of late picks...

Jokic was an insane find. Picked at 41 and if Embiid never gets injury free he has a shot at someday being seen as the best player from that draft (and it was a very good draft too!). Already pretty clear he is in the top 5.

but Cavs have never been great at those kind of late picks...

No one is consistently good at nailing 2nd round picks.

But to say the Cavs have never been successful in that round is a lie.

And after seeing/hearing the Tyus Jones move that ended with us holding Osman's rights, I'm trusting this current front offices ability to scout the foreign draft scene a bit, which we have never really done as a franchise outside of Z. That in itself makes me feel good about the teams scouting ability in general...when they aren't being pushed by ownership that is, like the case with Felder...

Think people are lumping Chris Grant's drafting onto Griff, which is unfortunate. We haven't really seen Griff in a draft yet...in effect drafted Wiggins for Love and Minnesota. Harris just fell victim to the numbers game of trying to win at all costs with us, and is playing decent ball right now in Brooklyn. Christmas was drafted for the Pacers. Osman looks to be like a hit. And Kay, so it sounds, was forced on him by ownership.

Curious what he does with actual ammo and actual intent to keep the player...but I have to say, from some of the stuff we heard pre-2015 draft, I like who we were supposedly targeting late in that 1st round...

@BimboColesHair Have you seen Sindarius Thornwell play yet? We should definitely try to snag him somehow.
I hope he goes undrafted somehow... Damn I wish the cavs had a 2nd round pick.

@BimboColesHair Have you seen Sindarius Thornwell play yet? We should definitely try to snag him somehow.

Huge success in tourny to make your draft stock rise usually is a false positive.

I get you like him, but there are as many questions on him as answers, but i guess that is any prospect.

Huge success in tourny to make your draft stock rise usually is a false positive.

I get you like him, but there are as many questions on him as answers, but i guess that is any prospect.

He has had a phenomenal season. His 3pt form is money, his mid range is money and he can defend. He isn't very tall for a SG but he is big and physical.
He might have trouble finishing over length and he projects imo to be a Marcus Smart type of player but you gotta look at him.

He goes to the line a lot though and he shot a bad percentage in all his previous 3 seasons.

He's not getting drafted. But yes, I have seen him. Guy I want them to look into is a big combo guard, a la Delly. More experience, the better. He fits the bill somewhat, though he is more 2 guard than combo guard, so I have looked into him.

But my A1 undrafted guy right now who I want is Kadeem Allen from Arizona. I live in PAC 12 country, have to see a lot of Arizona games. He pretty much already plays the Delly role for them (not Delly in college, Delly with us in the NBA). Handles the ball when needed to but most of the time is out there with a more explosive ball-handler, physically guards 1s, 2s, and 3s at times, hits his open 3s, doesn't force the issue, doesn't turn the ball over much, doesn't stop the ball and keeps it moving, plays his role...big, long, physical guy for a PG too, just like Delly. Been playing that role for 2 seasons now.

After him would be Derrick White...again, PAC 12 guy...but he has less experience/sample size (only 1 year of big program basketball under his belt). But another big combo guard, just he is more offensively skilled in his strengths than Allen. Really good shooter, doesn't play rushed, and a decent athlete. Took care of the ball pretty well too in his only season playing D-1 basketball, and considering how much he had the ball in his hands.

He's not getting drafted. But yes, I have seen him. Guy I want them to look into is a big combo guard, a la Delly. More experience, the better. He fits the bill somewhat, though he is more 2 guard than combo guard, so I have looked into him.

But my A1 undrafted guy right now who I want is Kadeem Allen from Arizona. I live in PAC 12 country, have to see a lot of Arizona games. He pretty much already plays the Delly role for them (not Delly in college, Delly with us in the NBA). Handles the ball when needed to but most of the time is out there with a more explosive ball-handler, physically guards 1s, 2s, and 3s at times, hits his open 3s, doesn't force the issue, doesn't turn the ball over much, doesn't stop the ball and keeps it moving, plays his role...big, long, physical guy for a PG too, just like Delly. Been playing that role for 2 seasons now.

After him would be Derrick White...again, PAC 12 guy...but he has less experience/sample size (only 1 year of big program basketball under his belt). But another big combo guard, just he is more offensively skilled in his strengths than Allen. Really good shooter, doesn't play rushed, and a decent athlete. Took care of the ball pretty well too in his only season playing D-1 basketball, and considering how much he had the ball in his hands.

They are both nice. Not sure if they are going to declare though.
I think we should be looking at Seniors mostly though.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."