• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
http://www.realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?posts/1480199/

I lived. That post as also liked by three people so I wasn't alone on an island

I know your joking and having fun but Jking apparently wanted me to wreck this narrative.

I was definitely pro-Thompson at the time as well. I would have preferred Jonas on draft day, but after I got to know Tristan's game and watching tape of him I was excited about him turning into basically exactly what he has turned into. Obviously, the LeBron factor has been one of his biggest assets, but he was still going to become a good'versatile defender and an elite rebounder with or without LeBron, but the addition of LeBron and a winning culture has allowed TT to play and maximize his strengths, instead of having pressure to add offensive moves and jumpshots and a post game, etc, to "justify" being the #4 pick while on a bad/mediocre team. But outside of maybe hitting corner threes, TT could not be any more tailor made for the current NBA+being LeBron's teammate than he is right now.

Chris Grant is DEFINITELY vindicated for that pick, and he may be vindicated for the Dion Waiters pick too if Dion can continue to be the guy he was in Miami. Both guys were considered reaches, and while there might be a few guys that are considered better that were picked after 4, Grant still looks like he was able to identify real, translatable NBA talent. (Though he really messed up in terms of considering fit with Dion and Kyrie, but I also think he thought we would see more of the Kyrie we're seeing this year with distributing/running the offense versus the 100% Kobe Jr. path he was on in his first 4 years. But Tristan is already considered good value as a #4 pick and Dion Waiters showed last year that he also can be a good value at #4 if he stays motivated/in shape/in the right situation/with the right coach.

For those players in the playoffs defending 3+ three pointers per game, Tristan is the fourth best defender:

1. Taj Gibson; 13.8 DFG%; opponents usually shoot 37.1%, -23.3% (5 games)

2. Klay Thompson; 16.2 DFG%; opponents usually shoot 38%, -21.8%

3. Taurean Prince; 21.1% DFG%; opponents usually shoot 38%, -16.9%

4. Tristan Thompson ; 20 DFG%; opponents usually shoot 36.7%, -16.7%

@RchfldCavRaised may have killed a fool for saying such a thing

I banged that Jonas drum hard, and I was very, very wrong.

To be fair, no one knew he had this decision-making ability in him coming into the league, or in his first few years. It's amazing what having a guy like Bron will do for guys.

Also, the man literally changed hands after coming to the NBA. That in itself is incredible.

Wish JR would do that more. He's got the ability to exploit mismatches but the league has gone away from drives to setup mid range jumper and we have even more talented offensive players then a former 6th man of the year

It's crazy how much better he is when the perimeter defense is even slightly decent. He can cover for other guys, but he can't cover for them and himself. That weakside help for the helper has to come cover tristan's man. So far it has mostly been working.

I banged that Jonas drum hard, and I was very, very wrong.

To be fair, no one knew he had this decision-making ability in him coming into the league, or in his first few years. It's amazing what having a guy like Bron will do for guys.

Also, the man literally changed hands after coming to the NBA. That in itself is incredible.

Tristan has been great, but who knows what Jonas becomes playing with Lebron. More of an offensive game would be nice, and Jonas is a bruser, but probably not as good defensively for modern basketball as Tristan.

When we drafted Thompson, we didn't have LeBron, Love, and skilled vets that wanted to play here. Obviously Tristan is a better fit for this team than Jonas though.

Tristan has been great, but who knows what Jonas becomes playing with Lebron. More of an offensive game would be nice, and Jonas is a bruser, but probably not as good defensively for modern basketball as Tristan.

He is just more one dimensional than Tristan. We don't need the scoring that bad. Jonas does not appear to have a playoff gear, whereas Tristan is usually the best big on the floor in the playoffs.

Jonas is disappointingly stagnant in his development. I started following Cavs because of Z and my affection with Lithuanian bball school (Macijauskas, Jasikevicus, Siskauskas...), despite being from former Yugoslavian region and I was very disappointed by how that draft developed.But JV is A lot of offensive fouls if you ask me and not much other skill.
The only bad thing about tt is his inability to hit the midrange shot.

Two years ago I thought JV was far superior. But watching TT over the years, especially last year's Finals and this years playoffs, has definitely brought me around. He is the definition of a "star in his role". Just does all kinds of defensive and rebounding dirty work, and on offense does the hard work of setting picks and takes whatever lanes left available to the hoop without ever needing the ball in his hands. Not sure how he would be on a lower-level team that lacked offensive threats, but on this team he is a perfect fit. Wish we had been able to lock him up for a little less $, but he is worth his contract, because no one else on this team does what he does and he would be very hard to replace.

Two years ago I thought JV was far superior. But watching TT over the years, especially last year's Finals and this years playoffs, has definitely brought me around. He is the definition of a "star in his role". Just does all kinds of defensive and rebounding dirty work, and on offense does the hard work of setting picks and takes whatever lanes left available to the hoop without ever needing the ball in his hands. Not sure how he would be on a lower-level team that lacked offensive threats, but on this team he is a perfect fit. Wish we had been able to lock him up for a little less $, but he is worth his contract, because no one else on this team does what he does and he would be very hard to replace.

He is really interesting because he is much more valuable to a contending team than one that doesn't win very many games.

He gets you extra possessions, but if your team regularly gets beat by other teams, how valuable is that? He is really good defender, but only if others are doing their job. He is not a one man wrecking crew.

When you see him giving you that extra edge, it is so important in the finals or playoffs in general, but what would a middling team care about that?

I can say this...out here in the Bay Area, he's a man they talk about as someone to worry about. At least on sports talk radio. And trust me...that's hard for them to admit..."Curry was at only 70% last year, so Love didn't really defend him that well" or "Warriors win in a romp if they had Draymond." They can do no wrong according to these schmucks. But Tristan worries them

I can say this...out here in the Bay Area, he's a man they talk about as someone to worry about. At least on sports talk radio. And trust me...that's hard for them to admit..."Curry was at only 70% last year, so Love didn't really defend him that well" or "Warriors win in a romp if they had Draymond." They can do no wrong according to these schmucks. But Tristan worries them
With good reason. He raped them on the boards when they had Barnes who was strong. Can you imagine what he'll do to matchstick man Durant? Between trying to guard Lebron and trying to box out TT, Durant is going to get bruised in this series

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."