• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2016-2017 Around The NBA

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Has there been ONE indication that Hayward wants to play for the Celtics? For weeks now I've seen the Celtics signing Hayward like it's some preordained union.

Where did all this bullshit start?
Same sources that had Love definitely signing with Boston two years ago.

Correct they don't have the assets to trade for both which means they need to sign the one who is eligible to be signed which would be Hayward. Now let's say they do sign Hayward. It will be for $4/126. The same deal as Horford. So now they're paying Horford and Hayward a combined $52M. Let's say they pull the trigger and do trade for PG and he signs and extension with them. It will cost them either the #1 overall this year (Fultz) plus Jaylen Brown. The reason it will cost them Brown is because if they sign Hayward and trade for PG they aren't going to keep Jaylen Brown on the bench. He's too good and IND will require him in a trade. Even if BOS keeps this years #1 (Fultz) and instead trades the 2018 BKN 1st plus Jaylen Brown for PG they are then adding PG at $4/126 and Fultz at $12M to Horford and Hayward. So then so far that would be

Horford
Hayward
PG
Fultz

for a whopping $92M. This is before they have to re-sign IT which they can go over the cap to do but will cost them another $30M. That's $122M. Then they have Bradley who will for sure get a deal in the $14-$18 per year range like Crabbe, Turner, or even more. That's at minimum $146M so far. Add in Crowder and Smart and that will put them over $150M!!!!! that's if they don't trade away Crowder and Smart but even if they did trade them there still at $140M with no depth and no draft picks. They aren't going to do that. I get that the cap is going up but teams simply can't pay four players more than $20M and maintain useful depth.
You said they can't sign/keep IT/Horford/PG/Hayward. Which simply isn't true.

Again, it is up to ownership and what they want to spend. Golden State will have 4 guys making crazy money next season. How much useful depth they have will depend on how much they want to spend.

They point is, they can keep those guys and they can keep some of the depth they already have if they so choose.

I agree: there is no reason the Celts can't salary dump on trades that the main assets are picks. For example this seems like a good move by both teams: trade the #1, bradley, and a guy like Johnson for George. Dump salary and then go after Hayward. They have assets to keep Horford, add George, add Hayward, keep IT, keep Jaylen Brown. That's nasty lineup which is easily a title contender with the Cavs and Warriors

And they might be able to start gobbling up ring-chasers as well to fill out the roster.

You said they can't sign/keep IT/Horford/PG/Hayward. Which simply isn't true.

Again, it is up to ownership and what they want to spend. Golden State will have 4 guys making crazy money next season. How much useful depth they have will depend on how much they want to spend.

They point is, they can keep those guys and they can keep some of the depth they already have if they so choose.

Doing so will have them spending $150M on salary and will clean out their assets. Also one more important thing is IT will be 34 at the end of his massive 5 year deal. Horford will be 31 with three years left on his deal. That will factor into any moves they make this summer for sure. It's either make those moves to win in the next two years or become the new Raptors or even worse the Nets.

Fun, fun.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oring-free-agent-run-clippers-star-chris-paul

Sources: Clippers regard Spurs as legitimate threat to sign Chris Paul
The San Antonio Spurs are exploring the feasibility of making a free-agent run at All-Star point guard Chris Paul, league sources told ESPN.

Sources say the LA Clippers, meanwhile, regard the threat of San Antonio signing away Paul as a legitimate concern, even though the Spurs, at present, have virtually no salary-cap flexibility.

The depth San Antonio would have to sacrifice to afford a top-dollar offer for Paul undeniably poses a challenge to Spurs management. But the prospect of adding Paul to the frontcourt duo of Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge could potentially create a star trio that closes the gap on the Golden State Warriors, who capitalized on an ankle injury Leonard aggravated in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals and went on to complete a 4-0 series sweep of Gregg Popovich and his 61-win team.

The Clippers are widely regarded as strong favorites to retain both Paul and fellow free agent-to-be Blake Griffin when they hit the open market July 1, given their financial advantages over competing teams in trying to sign them. But the Clippers' nagging inability to dodge injuries and reach the conference finals even once in Paul's five seasons there has given interested suitors such as San Antonio hope that he will strongly consider external interest. [...]

Same sources that had Love definitely signing with Boston two years ago.
What is the infatuation with Hayward?...he's a good player but is he really a difference maker?

Fun, fun.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oring-free-agent-run-clippers-star-chris-paul

Sources: Clippers regard Spurs as legitimate threat to sign Chris Paul

This is interesting to me on two fronts.

1. If the Spurs could move Aldridge this off-season, I believe they'd do it in a heart beat. Aldridge is too much of an ISO player offensively that stifles their flow, and he's slow footed defensively. I think Alsridge legitimately drives Pop nuts and Pop called him out during the WCF this year which is kind of abnormal

2. CP3 is prob the best fit at PG in the entire NBA for what the Spurs like to do. What a clash that'd be out west if you could add Paul to Kawhi Leonard and a suitable PF replacement for Aldridge.

I'll be really interested to see if rumors start percolating around Alridge being shopped

Well, as long as the Spurs run out of cap space with CP3 that's fine. I don't want LeBron to get any ideas. CP3 + Kawhi + Pop would be attractive. Not that I think he's leaving, just seems like a potential banana boat crew meeting place. Maybe I'm just tired and need to go to bed. :doh (31):

Well, as long as the Spurs run out of cap space with CP3 that's fine. I don't want LeBron to get any ideas. CP3 + Kawhi + Pop would be attractive. Not that I think he's leaving, just seems like a potential banana boat crew meeting place. Maybe I'm just tired and need to go to bed. :doh (31):
I'm going to be completely honest... The Cavs fan in me would be if LeBron left again; but, the NBA fan in me would be ecstatic at the prospects of watching a CP3-LBJ-Kawhi Spurs team.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."