• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Racial Tension in the U.S.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where should the thread go from here?

• Racial Tension in the U.S.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Extremist Views on the U.S.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Mending Years of Racial Stereotypes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Protest Culture.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Racist Idiots in the News.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
OK, maybe you guys are right. I guess it is a slippery slope if we start banning hate speech. Defining it is the issue. I was thinking more along the lines of the Nazi party being banned in Germany, but I suppose that is different.

It reduced hate speech but it is yet to be determined if the overall effect over time is positive.

Agree. In some European countries, the truly radical parties have gotten stronger precisely because an enforced political correctness/consensus means there is no mainstream opposition. And it reinforces their sense of persecution.

It also is important to remember that the definition of "hate speech" is inherently amorphous, so the actual definition at any given time may vary widely depending on who is in power. A law that was intended to prevent people from urging that Jews be sent to the gas chamber may, for example, be used against those who speak out in favor of preserving the native language. And when that happens, you can end up pushing fairly moderate people to align with radicals.

It's really kind of interesting -- despite having no hate speech laws, we don't really have a counterpart to Golden Dawn or other radical right wing parties that commonly exist in Europe.

If you get rid of the small number of fringe racists....

And exactly how do you do that?

....you would get rid of the smaller number of violent anti-racists.

I think you are overlooking the reality of people who see racism everywhere. You will never convince the violent anti-racists -- in particular -- that the fringe racists are gone.

And exactly how do you do that?

I think you are overlooking the reality of people who see racism everywhere. You will never convince the violent anti-racists -- in particular -- that the fringe racists are gone.

I think a start would be the President, Governors and Congresspeople denouncing the hate groups. Whenever they have their events happens denounce them. Do not normalize.

And when the violent anti-racist show up, which I think is rare, denounce them as well.

Saw this video, awful overacting, but speaks to what, I believe, are a lot of folks concerns (obviously extended to absurdity for this video).

Saw this video, awful overacting, but speaks to what, I believe, are a lot of folks concerns (obviously extended to absurdity for this video).

That chicks mouth creeps me the fuck out.

"Think youre so great with your math, science, and facts?1! Feelings are more important than facts!"

This is wrong and youre all crazy indeed.

Obligatory: all gang up as a collective to silence.

So totally progressive.
bs3PFOQ_d.webp

Institutional racism.

"GET OUT THE WAY"
If you are a white cis man (meaning you identify as male and you were assigned male at birth) you almost certainly should resign from your position of power. That’s right, please quit.

If you are on a hiring committee, and you are looking at applicants and you see a stellar white male applicant, think long and hard about whether your department needs another white man - See more at: http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/05/11/get-out-the-way/#sthash.eqVGRXXA.dpuf

The American Mathematical Society (AMS) is an association of professional mathematicians dedicated to the interests of mathematical research and scholarship, and serves the national and international community through its publications, meetings, advocacy and other programs.

The society is one of the four parts of the Joint Policy Board for Mathematics (JPBM) and a member of the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences (CBMS).

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...a-according-to-google/?utm_term=.9d88a911196d

Sort of interesting.

Graph of where racism resonates in America, state by state.
Great example of extremely irresponsible Journalism.

There is no attempt to find out why the results showed up as they did other than " this place must be racist.

I mean it is obvious from just a glance that the majority of the places average or below are the areas with the least black populations.

Also they claim the map mirrors republican support yet they don't show the corresponding graph.

It's also important to note that not all people searching for the N-word are motivated by racism, and that not all racists search for that word, either. But aggregated over several years and several million searches, the data give a pretty good approximation of where a particular type of racist attitude is the strongest.

so the aggregation shows racism and not social awareness or a higher interest by the public to look into these things as according tot he mortality rate it directly impacts their way of Life.

this is the same scientist who equivocated racism as labeling those who voted against Obama as racist.

This guy call himself a blog otherwise I doubt the Washington post would print this garbage

The laws aren't exactly new, we can make determinations up to this point. They do work in Europe. It really shouldn't be a question as to whether or not they do or don't do what is intended; but are the laws ethical. I would argue they are not.

Right, but we're not seeing unintended consequences in Europe with respect to hate speech laws; not that I've seen at least.

I would attribute at least partial blame for the Rotherham scandal to PC culture and fear of reprisal from "hate speech".

A law so overtly racist that it made Clarence Thomas speak up in opposition.

North Carolina isn't even trying to conceal this type of racism anymore.

I would attribute at least partial blame for the Rotherham scandal to PC culture and fear of reprisal from "hate speech".

I wouldn't agree with this for quite a few reasons... That particular conversation though, is a bit larger in scope than this thread... We could start another thread to discuss if you like...

A law so overtly racist that it made Clarence Thomas speak up in opposition.

North Carolina isn't even trying to conceal this type of racism anymore.

I'm against gerrymandering period. Hopefully making gerrymandering illegal in minority communities leads to a ban on all of it.

I wouldn't agree with this for quite a few reasons... That particular conversation though, is a bit larger in scope than this thread... We could start another thread to discuss if you like...

While I'm skeptical that you could provide evidence of absence in this instance, let's just agree to disagree on this one. I don't feel like losing my lunch reading about that crap again.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."