• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs Team Salary and Trade Assets

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Add? Without giving one up?

We pray someone tries to force their way here and we pray their team is willing to accept no one better than Tristan in return.

Maybe Paul George will try and do it. I cant see him looking at Boston as the answer, and LA isn't anywhere close to the playoffs, let alone competing with GS.

Perhaps and an answer will reveal itself (in my best Jedi impersonation).

Maybe Paul George will try and do it. I cant see him looking at Boston as the answer, and LA isn't anywhere close to the playoffs, let alone competing with GS.

Perhaps and an answer will reveal itself (in my best Jedi impersonation).

I like George, but if this is just a wish list (0% chance of actually getting one): Anthony Davis or the Greek Freak

The only feasible thing woild be some sort of trade for Carmelo...though I don't think Iman Shumpert and JR Smith get it done.

The only feasible thing woild be some sort of trade for Carmelo...though I don't think Iman Shumpert and JR Smith get it done.

Melo has a no trade clause. Phil has no leverage

Do the Cavaliers have LeBron's bird rights? Because if they do, they are in line to have the space to make a big move at the end of next season.

As of right now, the Cavs have $80 mil in payroll committed for the 18-19 season. That does not include LeBron or Shump, both of whom have player options. The cap will likely be around $100 million, so I don't think it would be surprising for Shump to opt out and get his last long-term contract. I assume the Cavs will try to sign Korver this off-season, so let's say he bumps them up to $85 million...

There are a ton of free agents that could help available in the summer of 2018:

Avery Bradley
Wes Matthews
Will Barton
Wilson Chandler
Trevor Ariza
PAUL GEORGE
CARMELO ANTHONY
Arron Afflalo

Now, it would come down to just how willing DG is to go into the tax. Is he willing to go to the cap limit before re-signing LeBron? Could they get, say, Melo, Ariza and Afflalo to take significant pay cuts to join? Could they ship Kyle and Kay to open up around $20 mil in space for PG, and would he take that?

Of course, none of this matters if the Cavs don't have LeBron's bird rights, so someone let me know what that situation is.

That 80-85 million estimate, does it include cap holds? Pretty sure LeBron and Shump would have cap holds.

That 80-85 million estimate, does it include cap holds? Pretty sure LeBron and Shump would have cap holds.
It doesnt. With Cap holds, you are looking at roughly $128 with all cap holds.

Do the Cavaliers have LeBron's bird rights? Because if they do, they are in line to have the space to make a big move at the end of next season.

As of right now, the Cavs have $80 mil in payroll committed for the 18-19 season. That does not include LeBron or Shump, both of whom have player options. The cap will likely be around $100 million, so I don't think it would be surprising for Shump to opt out and get his last long-term contract. I assume the Cavs will try to sign Korver this off-season, so let's say he bumps them up to $85 million...

There are a ton of free agents that could help available in the summer of 2018:

Avery Bradley
Wes Matthews
Will Barton
Wilson Chandler
Trevor Ariza
PAUL GEORGE
CARMELO ANTHONY
Arron Afflalo

Now, it would come down to just how willing DG is to go into the tax. Is he willing to go to the cap limit before re-signing LeBron? Could they get, say, Melo, Ariza and Afflalo to take significant pay cuts to join? Could they ship Kyle and Kay to open up around $20 mil in space for PG, and would he take that?

Of course, none of this matters if the Cavs don't have LeBron's bird rights, so someone let me know what that situation is.
With active contracts & cap holds you are looking at $128 mil. Way over the cap lol. Not including the signings & re-sigings we make this year. Hence why I don't see us trying to get PG13 without trading Love.

Large Free Agent acquisitions are off the table. Hell Lebron's cap hold the following year is north of $50 mil.

Use the site below, I find it to be a more detailed explanation than 99% of the sites out there.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/cap/2018/

It doesnt. With Cap holds, you are looking at roughly $128 with all cap holds.

With active contracts & cap holds you are looking at $128 mil. Way over the cap lol. Not including the signings & re-sigings we make this year. Hence why I don't see us trying to get PG13 without trading Love.

Large Free Agent acquisitions are off the table. Hell Lebron's cap hold the following year is north of $50 mil.

Use the site below, I find it to be a more detailed explanation than 99% of the sites out there.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/cap/2018/

Well, shit. The team will have cap holds even on guys that decline their PO (James, Shump)?

They'd obviously have to renounce the rights to the other free agents.

Took some wild guesses at the new contracts --

Contracts:
(using google docs)
[parsehtml]<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13TtswQmckCJ9uMjlloh0qceZjfcKHaIgxvlpgLRUKEw/pubhtml?gid=0&amp;single=true&amp;widget=true&amp;headers=false" width=740 height=524 scrolling=auto></iframe>[/parsehtml]Salary Notes:
  • Kyrie has a 15% trade kicker
  • Min salary free agents count as $1,312,611 for cap and tax purposes. They count at their actual salary for trade purposes. Listed on chart with taxible portion of salary.
  • Felder has a 456,529 guarantee for 2017-18
  • Smith has a 3.8 Mil guarantee for 19-20. Contract becomes fully guaranteed sometime after the end of the 18-19 season
Depth Chart:
  • PG: Kyrie Irving / Kay Felder / Calderon
  • SG: JR Smith / Iman Shumpert / Kyle Korver
  • SF: Lebron James / Richard Jefferson / Cedi Osman
  • PF: Kevin Love / James Jones
  • C: Tristan Thompson / Channing Frye / Edy Tavares

Last edited:
Depth Chart:
  • PG: Isaiah Thomas / Derek Rose / Kay Felder / Calderon
  • SG: JR Smith / Iman Shumpert / Kyle Korver
  • SF: Lebron James / Richard Jefferson / Cedi Osman
  • PF: Kevin Love / Jae Crowder
  • C: Tristan Thompson / Channing Frye / Ante Zizic
Transactions/Edits:
  • 7/10/2017 Signed Jose Calderon
  • 7/13/2017 Signed Korver and Cedi Osman
  • 7/25/2017 Signed Derek Rose
  • 8/22/2017 Kyrie traded for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic

Cavs got 3 midget PG's. What is up with that?

Do we pick up a trade exception in the Kyrie-IT deal?

Do we pick up a trade exception in the Kyrie-IT deal?

I suppose they could have generated a $6mil exception if they used the Mo Williams exception on Zizic.

So is there any way we can sign a max player in the off season?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."