• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anyone else play JRPGs?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I don't play them too much any more, mostly because Western RPGs have largely overtaken them from a story-telling perspective. It used to be, if you wanted a great, epic story, you had to buy Japanese games. Now, though, there are dozens of great RPGs from the US and other Western countries that have generally surpassed what Japanese companies have been outputting. Games like Divinity: Original Sin and The Witcher 3 feel almost light years ahead of what most Japanese companies are doing these days. It's hard for me to even think of a modern Japanese RPG that compares to either.

My favorites from the old days are FFIX and Chrono Trigger. Two classics. I actually replayed FFIX recently when they released the Steam remaster. It was still great. Love all the characters in that one, and I liked how, unlike most modern Final Fantasy games, it actually felt like fantasy rather than the shitty sci-fi the single-player games have mostly veered toward since.

And I still really wish Square would make a fucking Steam version of Chrono Trigger. Literally free money for them. No idea why companies that have an absolute classic like that just refuse to re-release it on the PC. All that does is promote piracy when many, many people would just buy it.

I started playing FFXV recently, and my first impression was how similar to The Witcher 3 it seemed: open world rpg, combat feels very similar, even the Chocobo aspect feels a lot like Roach. Turns out the team loved the Witcher 3 and played a ton of it while making their game, so naturally the fingerprints were all over the final product.

In the end, it feels like a bit of a blend between JRPGs and W3, but just a poor man's version of W3. That isn't criticism, just about any other game pales in comparison to the Witcher 3 in terms of storytelling and ambition in an RPG.

In comparison, Persona 5 feels as JRPG as it gets. The style was excellent, the storytelling started out incredible although I thought it lost a lot of steam as it went along, and the slice of life aspect was a great counter to the dungeon gameplay. My big problem with it was the boring combat system, which was really no different than anything that could have come out in the late 90s. I'm still not sure why most JRPG's keep the same combat system despite all the increased possibilities from better graphics and increased processing power, and it brings down an overall incredible game in P5.

Not a fan of JRPG's, but a friend of mine who has probably close to 1000 video games loves Persona and has put close to 200 hours in. He may be on his second play through though.

Never got into the FF series, but I have played others.
Shenmue is a masterpiece and still holds its own, even today.
The Kingdom Hearts series (if you wanna call it a jrpg) is def up there with Shenmue for me. Just rich in story and the feels.
Lately I've been playing a lot of mobas in recent years and I haven't really played a story driven game in that time that I really enjoyed, save For The Last of us.
But Persona 5 will definitely bring me back to the genre. P5 is one of the best games I've played in years.

Never got into the FF series, but I have played others.
Shenmue is a masterpiece and still holds its own, even today.
The Kingdom Hearts series (if you wanna call it a jrpg) is def up there with Shenmue for me. Just rich in story and the feels.
Lately I've been playing a lot of mobas in recent years and I haven't really played a story driven game in that time that I really enjoyed, save For The Last of us.
But Persona 5 will definitely bring me back to the genre. P5 is one of the best games I've played in years.
I wanted to get into Kingdom Hearts so bad. I love Disney. The thought of whooping ass with Donald Duck intrigued me.

Just couldnt do it.

I wanted to get into Kingdom Hearts so bad. I love Disney. The thought of whooping ass with Donald Duck intrigued me.

Just couldnt do it.

Only one I actually COULD get into. :chuckle:

I was like 15 though... and traveling to all those Disney worlds was FUCKING AWESOME.

I actually think I'm going to buy the PS4 remasters of those they just released because my memories of those games are that fond. Can't wait for KH3, literally strictly for a Star Wars world.

I've been picking up way too many games lately. I have three new JRPGs for the PS4 lol

I've been picking up way too many games lately. I have three new JRPGs for the PS4 lol

I am the RPG king ask me anything. That said get DQ7 on the 3DS, Get or play FF6 and 7 and 9. Suikoden 2 is great. Must Play Shinning Force 2... a must play. Ogre Battle 64, FF10 and 12, Dragon Quest anything other than my the system. SO many freaking great games out there just explore what you like.

Persona 5, FF15, and... Nier Automata is what I recommend with new games that came out in the time frame.

Persona 5, FF15, and... Nier Automata is what I recommend with new games that came out in the time frame.
I am the RPG king ask me anything. That said get DQ7 on the 3DS, Get or play FF6 and 7 and 9. Suikoden 2 is great. Must Play Shinning Force 2... a must play. Ogre Battle 64, FF10 and 12, Dragon Quest anything other than my the system. SO many freaking great games out there just explore what you like.

I was about to say, you need to give me a longer check list since I own or have owned all those games ya mentioned. We may be rivals! Did you get the new FF12 version yet? I actually own 3, 3DS systems, one a regular then limited edition Pokémon and a limited edition Fire Emblem. I've decided to play some Valkyria Revolution. I loved the Chronicle games from them, so I am trying the game even though the rating isn't high. Have you played a game called Natural Doctorine for the PS4? Aka one of the hardest games ever created that is a tactical style of RPG

Last edited:
@Snarly, have you picked up any new games lately? I see they made a Tales game thing for the Android/iPhone, so I got that to try out as well.

Ps. I updated my title name on here so I hope ya like it! lol

I have always loved the Final Fantasy series. But having played some of Persona 5, I can honestly say that it is the best RPG I've ever played. Everything is perfect...the style, the characters, the story, the jazz inspired soundtrack, the combat...even the art design on the menus is perfect. And I say that as someone who doesn't particularly like anime and who has never played a Persona game before Persona 5.

I have always loved the Final Fantasy series. But having played some of Persona 5, I can honestly say that it is the best RPG I've ever played. Everything is perfect...the style, the characters, the story, the jazz inspired soundtrack, the combat...even the art design on the menus is perfect. And I say that as someone who doesn't particularly like anime and who has never played a Persona game before Persona 5.

Thanks for this. Hesitated because I've never played a Persona game. Looks like I'll finally pull the trigger on buying.

Thanks for this. Hesitated because I've never played a Persona game. Looks like I'll finally pull the trigger on buying.

Persona 3, 4 and 5 are all good! They are a bit darker in feel, but still good!

Damn.... so.. I guess I need to play Persona 5?

I played the original Person on the PSX, but .. wondering if you can explain why Persona 5 would be better than say, FFVII or FFX? I'm legit interested to see why you'd argue it's the best RPG ever?

BTW looked up how long is this game, and I'm seeing folks saying there's well over 100 hours of gameplay in Persona 5??

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."