• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Cavs Summer League

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
He's unpolished on offense, not necessarily really bad. If a 7'3 guy can make passes and mid-range jump shots in the pick n pop game, you can use him. I'd like to see less plays where he attacks the basket and trips all over himself, but that's a product of playing against bad defenders in the G League.

I do see the approach to rebounding as his biggest flaw. Dude has a 9'10 standing reach and make no effort to position his body for the rebound. The rebounds he does get are uncontested or happenstance.
That's where I say a ex-player working with him could help.

haven't watched one minute of SL and don't plan to.

But from what I read Pointer is only guy who may make team? Is that true?

Him and TJ Williams were the only ones showing any type of consistent ability.
With Pointer being more NBA ready IMO.

Him and TJ Williams were the only ones showing any type of consistent ability.
With Pointer being more NBA ready IMO.
I heard Kay Felder was pure trash on Twitter. I haven't even been checking box scores so I don't know if that is true

I think Pointer looked good, he looked like a energy guy ie Delly or Varejao. I've seen conflicting stuff with Pointers contract, some say he still has one year left on his contract overseas. If that's the case, I think one more year will help him but if not, I think we have to sign him to at least a two way contract. He looks like he is on the verge of being NBA ready.

Tavares looks like he could help us on defense with shot blocking and being that man in the middle. The question marks with him is his offense and rebounding. He didn't look like he was trying to rebound at times. He can't finish at the rim and can't throw down a lob pass. I'm not sure if he is playable at the moment. If he can be waived and sign to a two way, I'd do it. Rather have a proven NBA talent to solidify our Big depth.

TJ Williams looked like a scoring shooting guard, a better version of McRae. Just like McRae, Liggins, and Shump, he doesn't have the court vision or ball handling to be our backup point guard. He only played point guard one year in college, he might improve in time but I'd rather see him at shooting guard. I do think he has value though and looks like he will be able to play off the ball. Definitely would sign him to a two way contract.

Andrew White looked like a potential 3 and D player. He is 6'7 and seems to be able to knock down a NBA 3 pointer fairly easily, which is rare for a rookie. He played point his senior year too but he is a wing player. He knocked down a pretty impressive 3 to push the last game to overtime. Definitely a guy you throw a 2 way contract at.

Felder was really up and down this year. He finish off strong in the 4th game and scored 25. His court vision and handles were probably best of the summer league team. He wasn't knocking down shots though. As time went on he was figuring out how to finish at the rim. Seem to have a couple impressive passes a game. Coaching staff seemed happy with what he did, even if fans weren't. Both Lue and Jones were praising him for his improvement. They sat him in the last game after his most impressive game so it doesn't seem like he is at risk of being cut.

I think Pointer looked good, he looked like a energy guy ie Delly or Varejao. I've seen conflicting stuff with Pointers contract, some say he still has one year left on his contract overseas. If that's the case, I think one more year will help him but if not, I think we have to sign him to at least a two way contract. He looks like he is on the verge of being NBA ready.

Tavares looks like he could help us on defense with shot blocking and being that man in the middle. The question marks with him is his offense and rebounding. He didn't look like he was trying to rebound at times. He can't finish at the rim and can't throw down a lob pass. I'm not sure if he is playable at the moment. If he can be waived and sign to a two way, I'd do it. Rather have a proven NBA talent to solidify our Big depth.

TJ Williams looked like a scoring shooting guard, a better version of McRae. Just like McRae, Liggins, and Shump, he doesn't have the court vision or ball handling to be our backup point guard. He only played point guard one year in college, he might improve in time but I'd rather see him at shooting guard. I do think he has value though and looks like he will be able to play off the ball. Definitely would sign him to a two way contract.

Andrew White looked like a potential 3 and D player. He is 6'7 and seems to be able to knock down a NBA 3 pointer fairly easily, which is rare for a rookie. He played point his senior year too but he is a wing player. He knocked down a pretty impressive 3 to push the last game to overtime. Definitely a guy you throw a 2 way contract at.

Felder was really up and down this year. He finish off strong in the 4th game and scored 25. His court vision and handles were probably best of the summer league team. He wasn't knocking down shots though. As time went on he was figuring out how to finish at the rim. Seem to have a couple impressive passes a game. Coaching staff seemed happy with what he did, even if fans weren't. Both Lue and Jones were praising him for his improvement. They sat him in the last game after his most impressive game so it doesn't seem like he is at risk of being cut.

At the moment we have room to bring some guys in since we can have 20 on the summer roster. Would you be okay with getting TJ and White on the roster for camp?

At the moment we have room to bring some guys in since we can have 20 on the summer roster. Would you be okay with getting TJ and White on the roster for camp?

Those are the top two I would target to bring to camp especially since we don't have any exclusive rights to them. I'm not sure if we would lose our rights to Pointer if we brought him into camp and didn't make the 15 man roster. We need to keep the rights to him and he developed better in Europe than he ever did in the D-league.

I would want White and Williams on two way contracts, even if we have a open roster spot. It's hard to gauge how a player will play once they get to the NBA. A two way contract let's us see how they react to the speed of the NBA without using up a roster spot. We control them so there isn't any risk of losing them and they can develop in the D-league till we need them.

I really doubt Pointer makes the team. He is horrendous on offense.

Williams has a good shot, given we have a spot open for a ball hander.

I'd say the only other guy I can envision making the team would be Prather, because he has defensive upside and is a solid outside shooter.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."