• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-2018 Season Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, this isn't exactly surprising in the case of Funderburk. Clearly he was having some problems outside of basketball, and I applaud Holtmann for cleaning up this program. This is really a testament to Thad being his own worst enemy and needing saved from himself these last few years. Lyle's troubles and quitting the team, the lack of control and discipline in the program. Funderburk "didn't like lifting weights". He couldn't even get minutes on a bad team last year and redshirted. Self-described, Lyle was his mentor and like his big brother. Great example.

This is about changing a culture that was badly in need of it. You have to make these guys "Ohio State" guys, or at least what Holt imagines that to mean. Clearly a current "Ohio State guy" is a scrawny entitled punk who never gets better or bigger because he doesn't work at it. These kids come here as 18 year-olds. Sometimes they need a kick in the ass and it seems Thad has had a problem doing that in recent years.

As for Beverly asking out, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it came as a result of some Holtmann suggestion. At the least, very likely mutual. We talk about Ohio State guys and not signing 4-year recruits who will hurt your program long-term in quality. It's hard to argue that Beverly was ever the type of player Ohio State should be taking on scholarship. This one might be a blessing in disguise.

Ether way, now we have 8 scholarship guys for 2017/2018. Joey Lane now gets a scholarship this year, but let's be real, we are really at 8.

With Tate and Williams gone after this season, and potentially KBD, we are looking at 7-8 open scholarships after this season. I expect Holtmann to be shooting to take 5 quality guys in the 2018 cycle. Tough considering we currently have zero verbal commits.

When it comes to Goodwin de-committing, I think he will be back. Notre Dame recently took a verbal from a second SG in '18 (Carmody), and Goodwin just took an official visit to OSU again last week (W-F). I think the decommitment was always more about learning this new staff and having never really been recruited after pledging in 2014.

Clearly, SF Jerome Hunter is the crown jewel of Ohio that the staff seems to be high on, and I'd expect him to join the fold. We are currently in his top 5, fighting the likes of Michigan and Indiana. I also like G Dwayne Cohill to get on board as he was a big Holtmann fan and the relationship is already there from being a Bulter target. In addition, 4-star shooting guard Eric Hunter from Indianapolis is one to watch in oncoming months. He's the #5 player in the state of Indiana and included OSU in his top 6 last week along with Xavier, Nebraska, Purdue, Butler, and Minnesota.

OSU needs a big man (missed out on Marcus Bingham, committing to MSU Friday) and a point guard in that class as well, as Cohill is more of a combo. I can see them really working hard on the likes of PG Elijah Weaver with the promise of early playing time.

2017 is likely done. However, 2018 guard Eric Ayala (#1 recruit State of DE) is talking about reclassifying to 2017 after his AAU run in July. He was a heavy Syracuse lean, but they don't have room for him if he reclassifies. OSU and Holtmann just offered him last week and would gladly take him in the fold this fall. He's 6'5, very skilled, and a smart kid. Here's to hoping he chooses to reclassify as I think OSU would be hard to pass-up if so. We have two scholarship guards on the current roster, Jackson and Williams, and we all know Williams can't dribble without staring at it.

Either way, we should expect a rough first year. However, hopefully we see a more organized and committed team, solid improvement, and hustle. I really really like this Holtmann hire.

Last edited:
Four-star guard/forward Musa Jallow announced his commitment to the Buckeyes on Friday night and reclassified to the 2017 class making him eligible to play this season.

Crazy athletic. Good finisher. Needs to work on 3 point shot.

Four-star guard/forward Musa Jallow announced his commitment to the Buckeyes on Friday night and reclassified to the 2017 class making him eligible to play this season.

Crazy athletic. Good finisher. Needs to work on 3 point shot.
That's huge. Absolutely huge.

With the unlikely exception of Ayala, I think we were all assuming we were done for '17. Now, to steal Jallow right out from under Archie, would have been exceptional enough for 2018.

The fact that he's a 4.0 student who is now reclassifying to 2017 for us, even better.

Musa is a tenacious defender, and that will be his immediate calling card. He takes pride defensively, and the Buckeyes really need players with that mindset right now. As a great athlete with a developed frame, he's already going to get minutes--especially since he makes just 9 scholarship guys. He's also extremely high character.

Offensively, his shot is developing, but has already shown significant progress. That said, he's already a very good ball handler for a two-guard and is comfortable creating. This is what this team needed, and to steal him a year early is just icing on the cake. With only Jackson and Williams at the guard position, Jallow is going to be relied upon.

Believe it or not, the Buckeyes now have the #1 recruiting class in the B1G for 2017 a month after looking like a disaster. It's the #24 class nationally now. The fact that Holtmann turned that class around in June/July.... I have no words. It's unbelievable. There's also an outside chance we can nab Ayala still, which would give us a top 15 class.

Holtmann had a clear plan, and has salvaged a class with smoke and mirrors. What a hire, ladies and gentlemen. For all the talk of how important '18 was gonna be to this staff's success here, they have silently made '17 the rock upon which they are going to build their church.

Here's his profile, taking into account his reclassification.

ae427d5680ac11c834f23b048813f3c1.jpg

Last edited:
So far so good! 18 class is going to a huge moment for the program if it can come together. This coach seems like exactly what OSU hoops needed!

Figured I'd post a scholarship/roster breakdown for the next couple seasons. Regardless of who takes this job, their first year in Columbus could be pretty rough. However, depending on the recruiting prowess of whoever is brought in, that could also mean a quick turnaround for 2018-19.

2017-18 (9 scholarship players total, 13 allowed by NCAA):
Seniors (2) - Kam Williams, Jae'Sean Tate
Juniors (2) - Keita Bates-Diop (RS), CJ Jackson
Sophomores (2) - Andre Wesson, Micah Potter
Freshmen (3) - Derek Funderburk (RS), Kaleb Wesson, Braxton Beverly

2018-19 (9 prospective scholarship players total):
Seniors (2) - Keita Bates-Diop (RS), CJ Jackson
Juniors (2) - Andre Wesson, Micah Potter
Sophomores (3) - Derek Funderburk (RS), Kaleb Wesson, Braxton Beverly
2018 recruits (2) - Dane Goodwin, Justin Ahrens
Just to show you how much can change in a month in the world of intercollegiate athletics, here's what this breakdown looks like now:

2017-18 (9 scholarship players total, 13 allowed by NCAA):
Seniors (2) - Kam Williams, Jae'Sean Tate
Juniors (2) - Keita Bates-Diop (RS), CJ Jackson
Sophomores (2) - Andre Wesson, Micah Potter
Freshmen (3) - Kaleb Wesson, Kyle Young (flipped from Butler), Musa Jallow (reclassified), Braxton Beverly, Derek Funderburk (RS)

2018-19 (7 prospective scholarship players total):
Seniors (2) - Keita Bates-Diop (RS), CJ Jackson
Juniors (2) - Andre Wesson, Micah Potter
Sophomores (3) - Kaleb Wesson, Kyle Young, Musa Jallow, Braxton Beverly, Derek Funderburk (RS)
2018 recruits (0) - Dane Goodwin, Justin Ahrens

Believe it or not, that commit gave OSU a top 25 recruiting class for 2017.

What's most incredible is that Holtmann has now had this job for one month as of today. One month. And that month was June, possibly the worst to be able to affect change from a recruiting standpoint heading into a limited dead period in July.

And yet somehow he's managed to pick up two 4-star 2017 players--high character, hard-working 4 stars--in that frame. Guys who are going to build this program, when essentially every 2017 of note is signed. He's done it with smoke and mirrors, and a bit of creativity.

If we somehow add Eric Ayala in late July/early August after his AAU season, I believe that late of a recruiting turnaround would be absolutely unprecedented. It would have been reasonable to think that aside from Wesson, the 2017 class was going to be a lost year. Kind of like when Thad grabbed Jamar Butler but wasn't able to get much else that late.

Instead, we are looking at 2 impactful additions with potential for a 3rd. And the season starts in like 4 months. Unbelievable.

Buford probably shot 2-for-14

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."