• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Racial Tension in the U.S.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where should the thread go from here?

• Racial Tension in the U.S.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Extremist Views on the U.S.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Mending Years of Racial Stereotypes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Protest Culture.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Racist Idiots in the News.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
I think most liberals are of the opinion that groups like whites and Asians, who aren't victims of discrimination in academia, should be on a level playing field, while groups like blacks and Latinos who are victims of discrimination in academia deserve a modest boost in the admissions process.
How are people victims in Academia? Asians get fucked the hardest when trying to get into schools. Doesn't that make them the biggest victim in Academia?

I think most liberals are of the opinion that groups like whites and Asians, who aren't victims of discrimination in academia, should be on a level playing field, while groups like blacks and Latinos who are victims of discrimination in academia deserve a modest boost in the admissions process.
Asians need 400 points higher than other ethnicities on their SATs to receive equal consideration.

Latinos are spotted the sexond highest amount of points​

How are people victims in Academia? Asians get fucked the hardest when trying to get into schools. Doesn't that make them the biggest victim in Academia?

I'm not talking about the admissions process. I'm saying there's pervasive, conscious, and unconscious discrimination against blacks and latinos in academia, starting in grade school. Obviously the ideal solution would be to somehow eliminate that at a grassroots level, but until that's possible, affirmative action is one of few options available to right those wrongs.

I'm not talking about the admissions process. I'm saying there's pervasive, conscious, and unconscious discrimination against blacks and latinos in academia, starting in grade school. Obviously the ideal solution would be to somehow eliminate that at a grassroots level, but until that's possible, affirmative action is one of few options available to right those wrongs.
What discrimination against blacks and latinos? Why aren't Asians also discriminated against? What makes them so special?

What discrimination against blacks and latinos? Why aren't Asians also discriminated against? What makes them so special?

Good question; the correct answer probably involves a long walk through the history of race in America. The fact is, people in our society tend, on average, to judge Asians as especially academically capable absent any other evidence, and vice versa for blacks and Latinos.

If you don't believe me, consider an analogous case of two people, otherwise identical, one with a strong southern accent and one with a strong English accent. It shouldn't surprise you that most white-collar employers would be biased toward hiring the person with the English accent. Biases like this are unfortunately common in our society (and in all societies).

Asians were historically discriminated against and in the workplace they still are, but not in the same capacity -- discrimination is not one-size fits all.

You and I literally had this discussion not but a week ago, remember?

As someone who works in academia, there are a lot of fucking weird biases. So, Ty, to your point, Asians get assfucked when it comes to Affirmative Action and in things like Medical School.

But, get this. Married (this is the most important, otherwise the other two don't show the same statistical significance), white, Christian men have the highest likelihood of getting a job post-graduation from their PhD program. There is obviously the same implicit bias evidence that exists in all other fields, but to me the most interesting aspect was how much value being married has on job prospects.

There are similar biases in law school, too. I.E., African Americans with unique names tend to get accepted significantly less into t-14 law schools, compared to all other groups.

I just find bias in the education system - in regards to admissions - to be fascinating. It does not seem to be too pressing of an issue, in my mind, but it definitely exists. And frankly, I have not been victim of it before, so maybe it is more pressing than I recognize.

Nobody is defending them jack, not a single person here. We just don't want wide spread violence that is seemingly justified by only morality. Them being Nazis doesn't strip them of rights everybody has as an American like it or not. This country is as great as it is because nothing can be silenced. Not good ideas, not bad ideas, not horrible ideas.

The irony of this statement is we might get political threads banned again so.....some things can be silenced. :chuckle:

Good question; the correct answer probably involves a long walk through the history of race in America. The fact is, people in our society tend, on average, to judge Asians as especially academically capable absent any other evidence, and vice versa for blacks and Latinos.

If you don't believe me, consider an analogous case of two people, otherwise identical, one with a strong southern accent and one with a strong English accent. It shouldn't surprise you that most white-collar employers would be biased toward hiring the person with the English accent. Biases like this are unfortunately common in our society (and in all societies).

Right, and those stereotypes were largely formed over the last 40 or so years; prior to that, Asians were subjected to extreme levels of discrimination in academia.

The only reason this even comes up is because Asians are used as a wedge with respect to the 'model-minority' stereotype.

Asians were historically discriminated against and in the workplace they still are, but not in the same capacity -- discrimination is not one-size fits all.

You and I literally had this discussion not but a week ago, remember?
Yeah, and you tried to pass it off like they don't currently face discrimination in getting into choice schools. Nobody has yet answered why Asians aren't oppressed today, but other minority groups are.

EDIT: there are also non-racial types of privilege in academia, and to be clear I'd support an admissions process that considers them too.

Just to add to this, there's also more to admissions than test scores; which, the point of that article misses -- and this has been adjudicated numerous times, including most recently by the Supreme Court.

Asians are massively represented on college campuses, specifically because Affirmative Action stopped anti-Asian discrimination.

So while one might say they "might" not need Affirmative Action any longer, since stereotypes about Asians have changed from being devious and treacherous to being studious and academic and thus, our societal biases have changed.

All this being said, it's important to note that (1) Asians have historically benefited (more so than anyone else) and continue to benefit from Affirmative Action (Laotians, Cambodians, Filipinos, Vietnamese all benefit more so than Japanese, Chinese or Koreans); (2) that Affirmative Action doesn't help Asians in the workplace (there is undeniable discrimination against foreign-born, foreign-named Asians); (3) that Asians don't support Affirmative Action (almost between 60-70% of Asians support the program).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."