• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Week 1: Inbreds@BROWNS

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is your least favorite Cleveland athlete

• Trevor Bauer

• Josh Gordon

• Carlos Santana

• Jose Calderon

• Bryan Shaw

• Iman Shumpert

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just re-watched Kizer's plays. I don't think people realize, you cant just throw the ball away. You physically have to be outside the tackle boxes to avoid a penalty.

Timing will happen as the WR's can separate, we don't get the box loaded, and as he grows as a player.

Here are my notes & timing on the "bad plays". All sack times are raw. Simply my video and my stop watch. Its from the snap to the time of contact. Which means, the pressure is felt even sooner than what is reported below.

Deshone had 2.83 sec on average to throw the ball. Solid play by the line against one of the better defenses in the league.

Qtr 1:
Overthrow to what looked like Duke. He needed to thread the needle, which he did. Maybe airing out should have the route to go. On Kizer.

Qtr 2:
Overthrow to Vitale. This one I would put on him for sure. He threw into triple coverage. To Seth's credit he got his hands on it. It looked a little too high IMO, and could have easily been picked. On Kizer.

Missed his shot to Williams down the sideline. WR could have kept feet in ground IMO. The throw was a glimpse of hope.

Looks to be a miscommunication with Coleman on a throw. The ball sailed out of bounds. Corey was still running up the field.

(Speared on a throw, that he just got up and out of play). Second cheap shot on Kizer.

Qtr 3:
One pass that should have been picked off by the Steelers five yards from the line of scrimmage. On Kizer.

There was a play right before the one above where, if Coleman wasn't held, Kizer would have hit on the seam and it 100% would have been a touchdown. Its the same route as the missed throw to Duke in Q1.

Interception was 1000% on Kizer.

Qtr 4:
Dropped pass by Britt. Was easily a 1st and then some.

Overthrew Duke on a pass he stepped up into a collapsing pocket. Meh..I guess on Kizer.

Smart throw out of the back of the end zone.

Sack Summary Below:

Sack 1: 5.45 sec hold time
Kizer was pinched in the pocket pretty well by the Steelers. Coleman didn't get give up much resistance. He may have had a hole on the left side, but #98 could have grabbed him just was easily. I don't see how he gets out of the tackle box.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.24.47AMcafa9.png

Sack 2: 4.05 sec hold time
I maybe chalk this one up to Kizer. He clearly has the weak side to move and maybe an out on the strong side. This could have been thrown away.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.35.30AM929e5.png

Sack 3: 3.25 sec hold time
Coleman was lit up on this play. The defensive end pushed him back right next to Kizer, and he easily grabbed him.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.46.49AM2ff4c.png

Sack 4: 3.13 sec hold time
The pocket collapsed immediately on all sides. No chance of throwing the ball away.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.50.13AM84ee4.png

Sack 5: 7.74 sec hold time
This is the 1st sack that you can 100% inconclusively put on Deshone. Sack 2, could go either way. He was out of the pocket and could have thrown it out of bounds no problem.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.53.30AM07378.png

Sack 6: 3.13 of hold time (may have been less, couldnt get timing of snap due to clip)
50/50 blame on this one. Deshone felt the pressure to try and get out, but that line blew up quick as hell. Resulted in Penalty!
ScreenShot2017-09-11at11.01.07AMe5519.png

Sack 7: 3.65 sec of hold time
The center absolutely got blown up on this play.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at11.04.49AM28779.png

Looks like Kizer got mowed down harder than my lawn.

(Final lawn joke).

Glad this game is over. I'll see you fuckers again in Week 17

I will say this: the fact the he stood in the pocket and did take those sacks is encouraging in the sense that unlike some quarterbacks we've had here, his instinct is to step up and make a throw. Either the throws weren't there yesterday or he's not processing fast enough to see them, but the awareness of when he can make a play and when to escape the pocket eventually must come. There's a big different between throwing the ball AWAY (getting outside the tackles and throwing out of bounds) and getting a pass off to avoid a sack. Just because he's not outside the tackles doesn't mean he has to take the sack. Find a man and throw it at his feet, take 2nd and 10 instead of 2nd and 18.

But at least he's not bailing out immediately.

Just re-watched Kizer's plays. I don't think people realize, you cant just throw the ball away. You physically have to be outside the tackle boxes to avoid a penalty.

Timing will happen as the WR's can separate, we don't get the box loaded, and as he grows as a player.

Here are my notes & timing on the "bad plays". All sack times are raw. Simply my video and my stop watch. Its from the snap to the time of contact. Which means, the pressure is felt even sooner than what is reported below.

Deshone had 2.83 sec on average to throw the ball. Solid play by the line against one of the better defenses in the league.

Qtr 1:
Overthrow to what looked like Duke. He needed to thread the needle, which he did. Maybe airing out should have the route to go. On Kizer.

Qtr 2:
Overthrow to Vitale. This one I would put on him for sure. He threw into triple coverage. To Seth's credit he got his hands on it. It looked a little too high IMO, and could have easily been picked. On Kizer.

Missed his shot to Williams down the sideline. WR could have kept feet in ground IMO. The throw was a glimpse of hope.

Looks to be a miscommunication with Coleman on a throw. The ball sailed out of bounds. Corey was still running up the field.

(Speared on a throw, that he just got up and out of play). Second cheap shot on Kizer.

Qtr 3:
One pass that should have been picked off by the Steelers five yards from the line of scrimmage. On Kizer.

There was a play right before the one above where, if Coleman wasn't held, Kizer would have hit on the seam and it 100% would have been a touchdown. Its the same route as the missed throw to Duke in Q1.

Interception was 1000% on Kizer.

Qtr 4:
Dropped pass by Britt. Was easily a 1st and then some.

Overthrew Duke on a pass he stepped up into a collapsing pocket. Meh..I guess on Kizer.

Smart throw out of the back of the end zone.

Sack Summary Below:

Sack 1: 5.45 sec hold time
Kizer was pinched in the pocket pretty well by the Steelers. Coleman didn't get give up much resistance. He may have had a hole on the left side, but #98 could have grabbed him just was easily. I don't see how he gets out of the tackle box.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.24.47AMcafa9.png

Sack 2: 4.05 sec hold time
I maybe chalk this one up to Kizer. He clearly has the weak side to move and maybe an out on the strong side. This could have been thrown away.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.35.30AM929e5.png

Sack 3: 3.25 sec hold time
Coleman was lit up on this play. The defensive end pushed him back right next to Kizer, and he easily grabbed him.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.46.49AM2ff4c.png

Sack 4: 3.13 sec hold time
The pocket collapsed immediately on all sides. No chance of throwing the ball away.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.50.13AM84ee4.png

Sack 5: 7.74 sec hold time
This is the 1st sack that you can 100% inconclusively put on Deshone. Sack 2, could go either way. He was out of the pocket and could have thrown it out of bounds no problem.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at10.53.30AM07378.png

Sack 6: 3.13 of hold time (may have been less, couldnt get timing of snap due to clip)
50/50 blame on this one. Deshone felt the pressure to try and get out, but that line blew up quick as hell. Resulted in Penalty!
ScreenShot2017-09-11at11.01.07AMe5519.png

Sack 7: 3.65 sec of hold time
The center absolutely got blown up on this play.
ScreenShot2017-09-11at11.04.49AM28779.png
Anything over 3sec is either on Kizer or the WRs. Getting sacked after 4 or 5 seconds is just not acceptable from a QB/WR.

If he's afraid of grounding or throwing a pick, then Hue needs to call more rollouts/sprintouts so he's out of the pocket more and can throw it away without grounding.

I feel frustrated because I'd have loved to have seen what Kizer could have done with one more drive in the 4th.

I realize Antonio Brown kinda fucked us out of that, but that drive before was great to see.

It's not even the W/L that I'm frustrated with, it's more so we couldn't see if Kizer could have tied it up or not.

e: I kinda wonder if this is also more of an NFL problem and if it'd be better if the league tried to go with the CFB model mixed in with the 2 minute warning.

Other than spotting them a TD on th blocked punt I was pretty happy with what I saw. And, there is obviously a shitload of room for improvement with the youngest team in the league, how can that be anything but a positive? The Steelers left the stadium knowing they had all they could handle. They had to find their A game to pull out a 3 point win.

I would like to have seen this played with Garret out there.

Kizer was as good as I could have possibly hoped for. You just don't get an error free game from the youngest QB in the league getting his virgin start against a team like the Steelers. he kid showed he belongs, he showed he can play, he showed a lot of composure despite his bonehead moments.

I think Hue needs to give Kizer some better check down options, I didn't see anything close or easy that Kizer could have gone to on the sacks. I don't think they were there, I think Hue had took off the training wheels and buried them.

Well just looking at the boxscore of 21-18 is really no issue for me against the Steelers. We have a super young team that is power ranked really low, but we stayed competitive against a playoff team. Either the Steelers are worse than projected or the Browns can really get to 5-7 wins this season and show they are vastly improved. With 5 picks between the first two rounds and a ton of cap space next season, I think 18 and beyond this team actually may be scary especially if the talent we have develops.

Well just looking at the boxscore of 21-18 is really no issue for me against the Steelers. We have a super young team that is power ranked really low, but we stayed competitive against a playoff team. Either the Steelers are worse than projected or the Browns can really get to 5-7 wins this season and show they are vastly improved. With 5 picks between the first two rounds and a ton of cap space next season, I think 18 and beyond this team actually may be scary especially if the talent we have develops.
Steelers definitely had mental errors that they won't have later in the season, but the Browns looked infinitely better in Week 1 than in any game last season.

5-11 or 6-10 in my opinion. Could be 3-2 heading into Week 6 if Luck doesn't play in Week 3.

Steelers definitely had mental errors that they won't have later in the season, but the Browns looked infinitely better in Week 1 than in any game last season.

5-11 or 6-10 in my opinion. Could be 3-2 heading into Week 6 if Luck doesn't play in Week 3.

Did you see how the Bengals and Houston played? Browns actually may be better than both of them at the end of the day. Teams like Baltimore, New York Jets and Chicago are all beatable this season. We also may be facing the Colts at the right time as well. 7 wins this season actually isn't impossible.

Did you see how the Bengals and Houston played? Browns actually may be better than both of them at the end of the day. Teams like Baltimore, New York Jets and Chicago are all beatable this season. We also may be facing the Colts at the right time as well. 7 wins this season actually isn't impossible.
I think you drop this week. Asking Kizer to go into Baltimore against a top 5 defense and come out with a win may be too much to ask. But you can easily win the next three. Browns are easily better than Luck-less Indy and the Jets. And the Bengals may be sorry as can be limping in at 0-3.

I think you drop this week. Asking Kizer to go into Baltimore against a top 5 defense and come out with a win may be too much to ask. But you can easily win the next three. Browns are easily better than Luck-less Indy and the Jets. And the Bengals may be sorry as can be limping in at 0-3.

The Ravens ran it 40 times against Cincinnati and against the Browns I don't think that's going to work. That front 7 isn't going to be easy to run against. We are going to get another good test against Baltimore which will be nice to have right out of the gate. Even if we don't win against Baltimore but end up with a similar score as we did against Pittsburgh, then that is as good as a win. Next three games after that though are all winnable and we almost should win them.

The Ravens ran it 40 times against Cincinnati and against the Browns I don't think that's going to work. That front 7 isn't going to be easy to run against. We are going to get another good test against Baltimore which will be nice to have right out of the gate. Even if we don't win against Baltimore but end up with a similar score as we did against Pittsburgh, then that is as good as a win. Next three games after that though are all winnable and we almost should win them.
I know the Ravens very well. I'm not saying the Browns can't win, I would just expect them to struggle in Baltimore. I don't know how Kizer will look on the road. But the Colts without Luck and the Jets even at full strength still have less talent than the 2017 Browns. And the Bengals might have more talent, but that O-line is atrocious.

3-2 is a possibility. Personally, I would hope the Browns finish ahead of the Bengals this season.

Either the Steelers are worse than projected or the Browns can really get to 5-7 wins this season and show they are vastly improved.
Their schedule is really nice over the next month, once we get by Baltimore.

We travel to the awful Colts. Then the awful Bengals and Jets come here. We then travel to the awful Texans, who have a slightly shortened week coming off the Sunday night game. Then we host the Titans who are coming off a Monday nighter.

5 straight weeks where the teams we face are either a.) really bad or b.) on a short week. As you said, unless week 1 was some sort of fluke, that's 5 winnable games.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."