• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Draft Prospects Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
If the Browns are looking for a strong side defensive end who can hold serve against the run while being a compliment to Garrett, this is the year to find it.

Tyquan Lewis
Sam Hubbard
Hercules Mata'afa
Clelin Farrell
Duke Ejiofor

So many names out there. Like those five a lot though.

Damn shame Nicky Bosa has another year to go, but not really.

If the Browns are looking for a strong side defensive end who can hold serve against the run while being a compliment to Garrett, this is the year to find it.

Tyquan Lewis
Sam Hubbard
Hercules Mata'afa
Clelin Farrell
Duke Ejiofor

So many names out there. Like those five a lot though.

Damn shame Nicky Bosa has another year to go, but not really.

Let's see what happens when Garrett lines up. Right now, I'm looking at high pick after high pick invested in edge rush, and I'm wondering if the franchise invests as much time as other franchises. Orchard is seemingly on the outside, yet he was promising three years ago.

I'd rather the franchise invest in long-ignored positions and give these edge players a chance.

Let's conservatively project that we end up with pick number 5, Texans end up with number 10, and Eagles at 17.

That'd put us having #5, #10, #37, #42, #49, and #69.

Just a tool to show the kind of talent we could haul in a single draft, here's a Browns mini-mock. Imagine, based on where they are currently slated across varying draft sites (and of course, these are going to change greatly over the next 7 months), that we could realistically end up with something like this:

#5 - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (top RB)--5'11, 223 lbs
#10 - Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State (top CB) -- 6'2, 198 lbs
#37 - Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame -- 6'5, 204 lbs
#42 - Cameron Smith, ILB, USC -- 6'2, 245 lbs
#49 - Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State -- 6'3, 295 lbs
#69 - Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama -- 6'3, 214 lbs

That's addressing so many needs, it's unbelievable. A big, fast WR to pair perfectly opposite of a developing Corey Coleman. Our young tight ends continuing to develop. A stud RB with superstar potential. A top corner with size and range. A 3-technique who not only shuts down the run, but can get after the QB. A big SS to pair with FS Peppers for Gregg's defense that has size, range, and brings the boom. Cameron Smith, a stud middle linebacker for our 4-3. Maybe we decide to go OT in there at the early second, someone to make Coleman more of a depth player who could eventually shift to LT after Joe's days are behind him--a guy like Orlando Brown, 6'8, 360 lbs out of Oklahoma.

There are so many possibilities. Let's hope Kizer is the guy. The holes we can fill on this roster are just ludicrous. Never mind what we could do AFTER round 3 with depth players and taking shots on guys with histories.

Add that in with the 50 million plus we can add players from free agency with and we have a really good team next season.

For better or for worse I think we have to just stick with Kizer next season unless somehow we can get a better QB in free agency, but I am doubting that one. Currently in my mind my needs for next season will be WR, RB, CB, S then BPA. Like more talent/depth at DLine and LB will be nice, but it's not the first thing I would go after.

First off I think we will completely change our RB core. Crowell may not resign and I think Johnson will be full time to WR next season as like our last RB type of deal, so adding in 2 new RBs through the draft/free agency I think will happen, but I don't have to have the top one.

Next we need a big threat WR, so if a WR and a RB have the same grade I am drafting the WR first, but if we can get the guy you put down in the late 1st-early 2nd then the strategy is sound.

We will put more depth into our secondary and work on the 4-2-5 system so a second round LB isn't in my cards, but if he's BPA then take him since if we can address RB, DB and WR in our first three picks then take the talent

Let's see what happens when Garrett lines up. Right now, I'm looking at high pick after high pick invested in edge rush, and I'm wondering if the franchise invests as much time as other franchises. Orchard is seemingly on the outside, yet he was promising three years ago.

I'd rather the franchise invest in long-ignored positions and give these edge players a chance.

I think the RB, WR and the secondary are really our needs going into the draft right now. Though if we get a chance to take another Garrett talent early I wouldn't be opposed. I mean it's quite possible the top of the draft is all QBs so if we essentially have a top 5 pick then we could actually get the best nonQB talent in the draft if we decide Kizer is our man. I just think DLine we invested heavily into and we have a ton of cap space. Is there any top DLine guys going to be in free agency that is a fit for Williams? I figure we will get some good veterans in free agency to fill in a couple holes and get the rest through the draft/trades.

It's a little too early to definitively say what the holes are because we don't know which young players are going to develop and which ones aren't.

For instance, two weeks ago I would have absolutely said safety, but Kindred had a nice opening game and potentially if he can build off that maybe that won't be a position they need to address.

The positions I'm keeping an eye on to see how guys develop and/or produce: QB, RB, WR (beyond Coleman), RT, DE (opposite Garrett), CB, S.

Last edited:

I'd rather they just take good players as opposed to paying deference to positions "ignored" by previous regimes.

On the bright side, the much maligned 2016 draft class had a nice opening week.

Coleman looked great. Kindred and Schobert looked way better than last year. Ogbah, Nassib, S. Coleman all started. DeVale and Louis both contributed in the passing game.

If the Browns end up walking out of that draft with 8 solid to very good contributors, that's a home run.

I was really impressed with Kindred. He was making plays behind the line of scrimmage and 30 yards down field.

I def would look at offensive tackle, corner, wr and rb. But as people say it is very very early. I would love to add a few explosive players on offense, but continue to build a great young defense. That trade to pass up Watson is looking amazing right now! Took a higher ceiling prospect in Kizer and got a high pick in exchange!

On the bright side, the much maligned 2016 draft class had a nice opening week.

Coleman looked great. Kindred and Schobert looked way better than last year. Ogbah, Nassib, S. Coleman all started. DeVale and Louis both contributed in the passing game.

If the Browns end up walking out of that draft with 8 solid to very good contributors, that's a home run.

To me that is even understating how they looked.

Kidred, schobert and ogbah all looked great too. I also like what I saw from DeVale allot, Didnt notice S Coleman, which for a right tackle is not a bad thing, Nassib and Louis looked ok, but i will take ok at this point.

Last edited:
I'd rather they just take good players as opposed to paying deference to positions "ignored" by previous regimes.

Edge rush and edge contain is no doubt a value pick. Teams need to score points, but pressuring the quarterback is the most important attribute of a defense can provide. If you get an edge player who can control the edge in the run as well as pressure a QB, which I see less and less in these days of specialization, you have a great pick.

However the Browns offense needs some playmakers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with acknowledging a team strength that no longer needs strengthening and a glaring hole preventing the team from advancing. Two receivers on the roster were cut day acquisitions and I'm not sure they bring much above replacement level - are we going to do that all over again next year? The team cut X. Cooper and he became among the best waiver options for the teams on cut day, being scooped up by the Niners with second preference. If the Browns have another edge heavy draft, even better assets will be heading out with even crappier offensive weapons getting the Dollar Store treatment at the end of the roster.

I'd really love to grab the top WR and top CB in this upcoming draft. I have a feeling that we'll be picking something like 7 and 12 between our pick and our Texans pick. So whoever is the best at those positions should be our priority.

At some point in this upcoming draft, I'd really start considering a OT to get ready to be Thomas's eventual replacement.

Asking for a little bone thrown my way on this from the members like @AZ who are more knowledgeable. Does anyone have a list of say, 5 of their top CB and WR to watch this season? Thanks in advance

My personal top 5 receivers I'm watching on Saturdays, no order:

1. Cortland Sutton, 6'3 SMU

2. Equanimeous St. Brown, 6'4 ND

3. Simmie Cobbs, 6'4, Indiana

4. Calvin Ridley, 6'1, Bama

5. Christian Kirk, 5'11, Texas A&M

Yeah, I know people talked about trading for one like Robinson (pre-ACL tear, obviously), but I can't see this front office trading for a WR in a contract year that is going to get paid like that. I'd imagine that's why we weren't in on Watkins. Clearly a great talent, but if he plays well this year he's getting paid.

Might as well just pay him in the off-season if that
Edge rush and edge contain is no doubt a value pick. Teams need to score points, but pressuring the quarterback is the most important attribute of a defense can provide. If you get an edge player who can control the edge in the run as well as pressure a QB, which I see less and less in these days of specialization, you have a great pick.

However the Browns offense needs some playmakers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with acknowledging a team strength that no longer needs strengthening and a glaring hole preventing the team from advancing. Two receivers on the roster were cut day acquisitions and I'm not sure they bring much above replacement level - are we going to do that all over again next year? The team cut X. Cooper and he became among the best waiver options for the teams on cut day, being scooped up by the Niners with second preference. If the Browns have another edge heavy draft, even better assets will be heading out with even crappier offensive weapons getting the Dollar Store treatment at the end of the roster.

Pass rushing aside, Garrett really looks to be a stud on edge contain. Really long reach, and just doesn't give ground. That jumped oout in his college games, and Ben in preseason.

Damn....really want to see him on the field.

My personal top 5 receivers I'm watching on Saturdays, no order:

1. Cortland Sutton, 6'3 SMU

2. Equanimeous St. Brown, 6'4 ND

3. Simmie Cobbs, 6'4, Indiana

4. Calvin Ridley, 6'1, Bama

5. Christian Kirk, 5'11, Texas A&M

We cannot draft Equanimeous, I would have zero chance of spelling his name correctly.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."