• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Indians @ Angels

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You said Tito said that about Salazar, which confused me.

Thanks for clarifying. Obviously Hammy saying that changes the meaning....
Yeah, just a little...

Hammy getting a little crazy on this one.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2017/09/cleveland_indians_terry_franco_67.html

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Closer Cody Allen did not appear in a save situation for the second straight day on Thursday as the Indians completed a three-game sweep of the Angels with a 4-1 victory.

"It was planned," said manager Terry Francona, referring to Allen's downtime. "I wasn't going to say anything before the game because I don't think everybody needs to know that. He'll be available on Friday (in Seattle)."

Francona said he was resting Allen in preparation for the postseason. The Indians, who have won 27 of their last 28 games, clinched the AL Central on Saturday.

Allen pitched the ninth inning on Tuesday night in the series opener against the Angles. He entered with a four-run lead and gave up a leadoff homer Justin Upton. But in save situations on Wednesday and Thursday Bryan Shaw and rookie Tyler Olson earned the saves.

"I was a little sore the night I threw," said Allen. "I just figured this was probably a good time to take a couple days (rest). We've got a full bullpen right now. Everyone is rested.

"So I'm sure at some point you'll see a couple of games where it's Bryan Shaw's turn to pitch and you want see him in there. You want to give guys a rest, but not too long so you can stay in your rhythm."

a bit concerned as there was no reason for him to have been sore after tuesday (had only pitched 1.1 innings in the previous 4 days) but hopefully a couple of days off is what allen needs.

You said Tito said that about Salazar, which confused me.

Thanks for clarifying. Obviously Hammy saying that changes the meaning....

Now I didn't hear this one, so I can't confirm the accuracy, but another poster on another forum said Francona himself made similar comments before the game in an interview on SiriusXM.

I don't have Sirius, so I can't verify it, but maybe someone else who does could listen to the archive?

And look...

If it were me, Salazar wouldn't be on the playoff roster at all. Too much uncertainty at this point.

I'm just relaying what I heard. I wouldn't be surprised if Salazar gets another start before the end of the year on a 75-80 pitch count though.

There is no telling what happens in the rest of the regular season - it is entirely possible one or even two starters get hurt. Makes perfect sense to prep Salazar as best we can in case circumstances change, and he is needed.

If he and Greg Allen can get better ABs and Zimmer comes back totally healthy, our defense will incredible in the coming years.

I can't imagine Gio ever hits enough to actually be a viable every day player. There's certainly hope for Greg Allen after a little more seasoning. The guy has a great approach at the plate.

There is no telling what happens in the rest of the regular season - it is entirely possible one or even two starters get hurt. Makes perfect sense to prep Salazar as best we can in case circumstances change, and he is needed.

there is a huge difference between prepping salazar for the post season and saying he is the number 4 starter for the playoffs when he hasnt pitched more than 3 innings in over a month

I don't think Salazar should be on the playoff roster unless he is a long reliever and even that we have healthy options. Salazar has great stuff and better than Clev or Tomlin, but with the fact he cannot stay healthy makes him an unreliable guy at the moment this season.

Honestly I am not worried about Cody Allen. It is a long season and people will get tired and need some rest. I think Allen just needed some extra rest and since we already had the playoff berth then allow him to do it. He is about at his season average in innings and this allows other guys to get in. I mean we haven't even seen Otero, McAllister lately at all cause of how well this starting pitching has been doing. If Tomlin goes through the lineup a third time, we wouldn't have even seen anyone til 8th inning probably.

there is a huge difference between prepping salazar for the post season and saying he is the number 4 starter for the playoffs when he hasnt pitched more than 3 innings in over a month

Hey, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The most Salazar has thrown in one outing in the last month is just 54 pitches. There's a lot of uncertainty.

But Game 4 of the ALDS is still 17 days away, not until 10/9. If the team ramps Salazar up to say 80 pitches on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and that all goes well, then they could ramp him up even further in a simulated game 10/1 or 10/2. I guess it stands to reason that he *COULD* be able to go 100 pitches in a potential playoff start.

Hey, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The most Salazar has thrown in one outing in the last month is just 54 pitches. There's a lot of uncertainty.

But Game 4 of the ALDS is still 17 days away, not until 10/9. If the team ramps Salazar up to say 80 pitches on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and that all goes well, then they could ramp him up even further in a simulated game 10/1 or 10/2. I guess it stands to reason that he *COULD* be able to go 100 pitches in a potential playoff start.

Why would you start Salazar ahead of Clevinger anyway though? Even if he got up to 80-100 pitches, there simply is not enough time for him to prove he'd be more consistent than Clevinger.

His best hope for making a post-season roster is an injury to one of the five guys ahead of him. If he's pitched well, maybe he becomes the long reliever to replace Tomlin.

Why would you start Salazar ahead of Clevinger anyway though? Even if he got up to 80-100 pitches, there simply is not enough time for him to prove he'd be more consistent than Clevinger.

His best hope for making a post-season roster is an injury to one of the five guys ahead of him. If he's pitched well, maybe he becomes the long reliever to replace Tomlin.

It's not a debate for me. If I was making the call, Clevinger would be the No. 4 starter and both Salazar and Tomlin would be off the playoff roster.

Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger
Allen, Miller, Shaw, Smith, Olson, Otero, Goody

Would be my 11 guys.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."