• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-2018 Boston Celtics: No Irving! No Hayward! No Brooklyn Pick!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regrade the finalized trade

• A+

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • A

Votes: 70 27.9%
  • B

Votes: 74 29.5%
  • C

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • D

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • F

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters
Already starting to think we got away with highway robbery on the Celtics.

Jeremy Lin ruptured his patellar tendon for the Nets last night. Now the only player that can give that team any offense is D'Angelo Russell. The Nets are going to be extremely horrible.

Crowder is a top-3 wing defender that LeBron has ever gotten to play with.

Zizic is solid, young, depth.

Isaiah Thomas at 100% or even 85-90% is a solid ballplayer. I don't think he's a top-7 guard like a lot of people did last year, but if Rose/Wade can stay healthy, we don't need him to be.

Meanwhile, Kyrie looks like pre-2014 Kyrie in Boston and their fans and their players are already getting sick of his bullshit.

lololol

I refuse to believe there isn’t a small part of Kyrie that isn’t second-guessing this whole trade thing. Especially when they churn out a 38-44 record this year as opposed to showcasing his talent in the Finals on the Cavs.
If Kyrie is the best player on your team, he will be a 6'3", 195 lbs. PG/SG with sick handles who shoots the ball well and will give you 20 points, 6 assists and 3 turnovers per game. But he doesn't have a clue how to be a true leader or to make his teammates better.

Essentially, he is Steve Francis.

Already starting to think we got away with highway robbery on the Celtics.

Jeremy Lin ruptured his patellar tendon for the Nets last night. Now the only player that can give that team any offense is D'Angelo Russell. The Nets are going to be extremely horrible.

Crowder is a top-3 wing defender that LeBron has ever gotten to play with.

Zizic is solid, young, depth.

Isaiah Thomas at 100% or even 85-90% is a solid ballplayer. I don't think he's a top-7 guard like a lot of people did last year, but if Rose/Wade can stay healthy, we don't need him to be.

Meanwhile, Kyrie looks like pre-2014 Kyrie in Boston and their fans and their players are already getting sick of his bullshit.

lololol

sorry to hear about Lin....as a person. But that injury will really hurt the Nets and really help us with the #4

IT's injury aside, I would not trade Crowder, Azic & #4 back for Kyrie. Just too much crap with him

We need to mesh and Lue needs to realize Wade off the bench could dominate other teams second unit.
Crowder is a huge pick up and gives Lebron something he has never had, at least as a cav
Azic has skills and is 7'0 250. Hope we can work him in on some games as much as possible, even late

My biggest worry is Lue. Wade needs to lead the second team. One of JR or Korver should be on the floor at all times. If it is a bad match up for Korver, then shump or give Cedi a chance

Didn't you feel a little bad ? just a tad? He doesn't even know what's coming his way.

I really still can't understand why Boston made this trade in the first place. Crowder is cheap and locked up for years. Azic could be developed for the future. They gave up Brooklyns pick. IT would have been an issue this year with the injury but they had a to assets to move for a PG, not quite Kyrie level but a someone decent.

They were in the conference championship last year....jettisoned all of their leaders, a fan favorite and two big youth pieces for a scoring PG that has never shown leadership and thinks the world is flat.

And more so, injury aside, I do not see Heywood as a big 3 type player....an All-Star, no doubt but not a superstar.....never thought that way of irving or love for that matter.....two all-stars.....not a big three type player

I really still can't understand why Boston made this trade in the first place. Crowder is cheap and locked up for years. Azic could be developed for the future. They gave up Brooklyns pick. IT would have been an issue this year with the injury but they had a to assets to move for a PG, not quite Kyrie level but a someone decent.

They were in the conference championship last year....jettisoned all of their leaders, a fan favorite and two big youth pieces for a scoring PG that has never shown leadership and thinks the world is flat.

And more so, injury aside, I do not see Heywood as a big 3 type player....an All-Star, no doubt but not a superstar.....never thought that way of irving or love for that matter.....two all-stars.....not a big three type player

I partially agree, but Hayward was a great complementary player for Irving.. I don't think they would have made that decision if they didn't fleece the 76ers with the Fultz trade. Having another top 5 pick in this years draft or the next is huge for them in that regard. I don't think they really needed that BKN pick once they had acquired the Lakers pick. There is a limit to the amount of lottery players you can add in consecutive years.. it loses it's value after a while and hurts the development of the players that you recently drafted.

They were also limited by the salary cap so keeping this pick and trading it for another star was out of the question.

He's the same garbage defense pseudo-intellectual me-first overrated impact low-mid tier star with delusions of greatness.

People hyped up this dude like he was some prisoner being held back by LeBron, a generational talent that was going to blossom into an MVP type guy away from Cleveland. Laughable.

1) I really don't think they wanted to pay IT max dollars.

2) Crowder was somewhat expendable for them with Brown in the fold. They thought Brown was ready to assume Crowder's role and grow beyond that. And Brown looks legit this season.

3) They knew they weren't contenders in the next couple years with Cleveland and Golden State. So they pushed the can down the road with a higher upside PG/star in Irving and letting their younger core grow.

4) The Nets pick was a good steal for us though. But trading IT and Crowder made a decent amount of sense as they were more win now players wheres Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart, Rozier is a core that will probably peak in about 2-3 years, a time when LeBron is well past his prime and GS is probably broken up in some form.

They were in the conference championship last year
And that was that team's ceiling.

Once again, for you and any Boston lurkers unable to comprehend Ainge's motives: Ainge saw the writing on the wall; the IT/Crowder/Bradley Celtics had (over)achieved as much as they were ever going to. They were never going to get past the Cavs with LeBron around and they had zero shot at Golden State. So he changed course and rebuilt on the fly, yet again, with an eye on the future.

Crowder was expendable to them with Hayward, Brown, and now Tatum on the roster. Kyrie is young and has not hit his peak as a player. Ainge figures to develop his rookies, draft well with what picks he's retained, and simply wait out the Cavs and Warriors. He's positioning his team to be a true contender 2-3 years down the line, when LeBron has either aged or moved on, and the Warriors have dispersed. In the mean time they'll be competitive and gain valuable experience playing into the postseason.They also get out of having to pay an aging, ailing Thomas max money.

Of course, this could all backfire tremendously on him. Kyrie may never blossom into that player Ainge projects he can be under Stevens' guidance. He may even leave in 2 years if he doesn't gel with Boston's personnel or ends up disliking the city. LeBron may (and all indications say he will) sign a max extension in Cleveland. And finally, with Lin going down, the Cavs have a real shot at grabbing the next franchise player in the most loaded draft in years. Ainge gambled and it may have resulted in weakening his team and fortifying his main competition.

EDIT: Mostly covered by Soar.

And that was that team's ceiling.

Once again, for you and any Boston lurkers unable to comprehend Ainge's motives: Ainge saw the writing on the wall; the IT/Crowder/Bradley Celtics had (over)achieved as much as they were ever going to. They were never going to get past the Cavs with LeBron around and they had zero shot at Golden State. So he changed course and rebuilt on the fly, yet again, with an eye on the future.

Crowder was expendable to them with Hayward, Brown, and now Tatum on the roster. Kyrie is young and has not hit his peak as a player. Ainge figures to develop his rookies, draft well with what picks he's retained, and simply wait out the Cavs and Warriors. He's positioning his team to be a true contender 2-3 years down the line, when LeBron has either aged or moved on, and the Warriors have dispersed. In the mean time they'll be competitive and gain valuable experience playing into the postseason.They also get out of having to pay an aging, ailing Thomas max money.

Of course, this could all backfire tremendously on him. Kyrie may never blossom into that player Ainge projects he can be under Stevens' guidance. He may even leave in 2 years if he doesn't gel with Boston's personnel or ends up disliking the city. LeBron may (and all indications say he will) sign a max extension in Cleveland. And finally, with Lin going down, the Cavs have a real shot at grabbing the next franchise player in the most loaded draft in years. Ainge gambled and it may have resulted in weakening his team and fortifying his main competition.

EDIT: Mostly covered by Soar.

And if Hayward doesn't come back at full strength, there's little stopping Irving from testing FA in three years. He wanted out of Cleveland much more than he wanted to go to Boston.

And if Hayward doesn't come back at full strength, there's little stopping Irving from testing FA in three years. He wanted out of Cleveland much more than he wanted to go to Boston.

This. Kyrie has proven that he does not care about winning by asking to be traded, and that he just cares about his personal brand. His next two seasons could very well be mediocre as he protects his body from injury with an eye to cashing in on FA.

He's the same garbage defense pseudo-intellectual me-first overrated impact low-mid tier star with delusions of greatness.

People hyped up this dude like he was some prisoner being held back by LeBron, a generational talent that was going to blossom into an MVP type guy away from Cleveland. Laughable.

Whats sad is he had an opportunity to play with an all time great while BOTH being in their primes for likely a 5+ year period, and he tossed it away over pride.
Kyrie's stature was only going to grow as LBJ ceded more and more shots to him.
It wasn't enough for him apparently. Now he's going to get eaten alive in Boston this year- lets also hope his injury history doesn't pop up.
Just horrendous advice to him...its sad.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."