• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-2018 Season Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Surprised there is no talk about all the shit going down in college hoops in here right now.

Not sure I have ever seen something like this in college sports. Money laundering, companies being told by schools/ADs to pay recruits/their families, agents, grant money being used to give recruits money, AAU coaches, HS coaches.

For all of Thad's shortcomings towards the end, at least it seems he did things the right way, and wasn't willing to play the company/AAU games.

It's Robert Morris...but at least this group looks like it will be fun to watch this year, even if they aren't there yet talent wise.

It's Robert Morris...but at least this group looks like it will be fun to watch this year, even if they aren't there yet talent wise.
Holtmann is going to have these guys playing hard. I also think the adjustment in strength and conditioning will make a positive impact this season.

Holtmann is going to have these guys playing hard. I also think the adjustment in strength and conditioning will make a positive impact this season.

They're playing fast, which will hide some stuff. But they really need a PG to step up. Think this team will surprise some people this year, if Bates-Diop and Tate stay healthy.

Friend of mine is a manager for Ohio State. He said the practices are way more intense and defensive-focused than they ever were under Matta.

The way they have practiced has translated to how they play the game to this point then.

Can play 40 minutes like that when you go 10 deep too, like Holtmann has early on, as opposed to what Thad did with his 7-8 man rotations his last few years.

I should’ve gotten in this thread a little sooner.

4 games in, so far this team is taking on its coach's identity—which is awesome. As you guys have said, they practice hard, they contest shots, and multiple guys are on the floor for loose balls. Quite simply, they want it.

I’ve maintained that this team will surprise or disappoint based on guard play.

CJ Jackson has been up and down, but I like how he pushes the basketball. He’s always going to be a streaky shooter with his form, but as long as he takes care of the ball and finds teammates, OSU has a chance to be in every game.

Jae’Sean Tate is the same player he has been the last three years. He’s a hard-working undersized 4 with no jump shot, and we have to live with that. That’s perfectly fine. He gives 100%, is the heart and vocal leader of this team, and opponents still can’t seem to figure out he’s going left.

Tate is noticeably in better shape. Very much so. He had a few bouncy putback stuffs against Texas Southern—I haven’t seen him be able to do that in awhile. Quadrian has the boys in the gym, which is good, at 9 true scholarship guys, they will need to play a lot of minutes.

Keita Bates-Diop has taken a step, but the main thing is his assertiveness. He’s clearly been told he’s our go-to guy and to look for his shot. He’s answered by being an automatic 20-10 as a matchup nightmare. This guy can be an NBA player, there was always that sleeping giant inside him. I think Holtmann is getting it out. If this team has any tournament aspirations, it starts here with him being a BIG Ten player of the year candidate.

Micah Potter has taken steps forward. He’s in better shape, running the floor, and contesting shots. He’s always been able to stretch the floor, but against inferior opponents so far, he’s shown an ability to make some moves at the rim. He and Kaleb Wesson are going to be a great duo.

Kaleb has some serious Jared Sullinger in him. He has great touch, an array of post moves, and he beats you with technique. The battle for him will be on the defensive end. He has to keep conditioning to avoid the lazy fouls and stay on the floor. There may be games this year where he puts up 25/12 off the bench for us. He’s that skilled.

Kam Williams is the same player he always was. Better suited off the bench, the key will be getting him back to his 15/16 form from three. His effort but lack of ability defensively has forced him out of the starting lineup because...

Musa Jallow is a 17-year old phenom. He reminds me of a more-athletic version of David Lighty. He gives you his heart on the floor, and has been a menace defensively. He’s a streaky shooter who has had a few double digit scoring nights, but his true calling card is defense. The offensive game is developing, but he’s a heady player for being so young. He’s going to be a good one.

Andre Wesson and Kyle Young are going to find themselves minutes this year. Wesson needs to get more consistent as a three point threat, but his defense is there.

Young has received little action but he’s a heady young athlete who has shown well on the glass. We are yet to see the versatility of his offensive game, but the talk of him at camp was stellar. Recently having his tonsils removed limited his practice time right before the season started.

Lastly, Andrew Dakich is a glorified walk-on, but so far, he’s been able to handle the rock and set up teammates when CJ needs a breather.

With effort, this team is going to beat some teams it shouldn’t. I like that sort of team.

It’s about to get real starting at the PK80 in Oregon this week.

Their next six will end up as:
1) Gonzaga
2) Florida or Stanford
3) Duke or Texas or Portland State
4) Clemson
5) @Wisconsin
6) Michigan

If they go 3-3 in the next six with this young team, I believe that’s a huge success.

Last edited:
Anyone going to be up for OSU/Zags?

Stayed up for it. I should’ve gotten in here.

We’ll see if you agree, but my take-always were:

1) Gonzaga is really good. Top ten team good. They probably should’ve beat a red-hot #7 Florida yesterday, too.

2) I don’t think the Zags could’ve shot the ball any better against us. Unconscious from beyond the arc—deeeeeeeep threes.

3) This wasn’t a “box score tells the story” game. Ohio State played well for most of the first half, and a late half cold streak doomed them. It was back and forth. They played a better team, but they didn’t quit. Potter being out hurt as we lacked the size to match up inside when Wesson was in foul trouble. This game was a learning experience.

The second game against Stanford was by no means perfect, but its important to note this team has 9 scholarship guys—8 with Potter hurt, and they went to the west coast playing legitimate west coast teams back to back days.

I’ll take the win against Stanford. They were picked to finish fifth in the PAC-12 before the season. They have size, some great athletes, and although neither team played their best, it really shows a lot for our young team to find a way to win.

This team is growing. Guard depth and staying healthy are going to be the issues.

Tomorrow should be interesting. The Holtmann bowl, Butler versus OSU. This time OSU had today off, and they are playing another team from the Midwest. Shouldn’t be nearly the away game it has been.

I maintain 3-3 over these 6 would be big, and tomorrow could make us 2-1 in the PK80. That’s a success.

Last edited:
That was one of the worst choke jobs i've ever seen. Holy shit.

Up 1 in the final minute, call a damn timeout and draw up a good look. Letting a crumbling offense try and come up with something on their own in crunch time lead to many losses for Matta. Disappointed to watch Holtmann do the same thing. You can't trust CJ to get the team into anything under pressure.

Team is wiping the floor vs Wisconsin in Wisconsin, currently up 31.

1. Hopefully a sign of things still to come tonight.

2. If they could have held 2 double digit 2nd half leads, they are on the verge of moving to 8-1...man that's tough. But a good Big 10 debut for Holtmann.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."