• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 NBA Draft - June 21

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I know some of you guys aren’t overly impressed with Bagley III’s skillset, but there’s always a place for highly athletic bigs that hustle their asses off.

He’s still a baby. Doesn’t even turn 19 for another four months.

I thought he was excellent today.

I know some of you guys aren’t overly impressed with Bagley III’s skillset, but there’s always a place for highly athletic bigs that hustle their asses off.

I thought he was excellent today.

I thought so too, and I think he shows very good decision making in the pick and roll. That's going to be his bread and butter in the league.

Duke doesn't use him there enough. They try and post him up, which is fine against smaller guys. But where he's going to make his money is facing up against slower bigs and being the decision maker in the PnR.

Yeah, so Jaren Jackson is a top 10 pick if he leaves. Honestly, I'd probably take him over Bridges. Think longer TT with a (albeit, ugly) jumper.

I also feel like people need to reevaluate a little bit how they are viewing these prospects. People have gotten down on the top 5, which is going to happen. But I think it's important to view them in the context in which they'd play. I have no doubts that Bagley, Ayton, Porter (if healthy) and Doncic could immediately contribute positively to title contenders. That's huge.

What their ceiling is after that is in the eye of the beholder, but the fact that they likely can contribute is big time.

Last edited:
Screw it. Here's who I have in the top-10, which is obviously subject to change:

1. Bagley
2. Ayton
3. Bamba
4. Porter (if his back checks out)
5. Doncic
6. Jaren Jackson
7. Robert Williams
8. Collin Sexton
9. Kevin Knox
10. Miles Bridges

It should be noted that I'm ranking these players based on their fit with the Cavs, and a combination of potential and immediate impact. This is not necessarily the rankings I would have if I were just straight ranking players.

I thought so too, and I think he shows very good decision making in the pick and roll. That's going to be his bread and butter in the league.

Duke doesn't use him there enough. They try and post him up, which is fine against smaller guys. But where he's going to make his money is facing up against slower bigs and being the decision maker in the PnR.

Agreed. You want to play him in space and take advantage of his speed, athleticism and ball handling over slower guys as much as possible. I think he'll be equally deadly on both sides of the pick and roll, and his lack of outside shooting may not even be that much of an issue given a spread floor around him. Similar to Ben Simmons now, giving him a huge cushion will just give him a few more steps to get a head of steam going downhill.

View: https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/934217423456268289

As the roll man, the little I've seen makes me believe he will be a guy who makes the right passes as well as a devastating finisher. That dish to Carter off the roll is the type of instinctive play that many NBA bigs won't make- we've been hoping TT would develop some level of this for years.

The one silver lining from this post-up heavy game Duke plays is that we can evaluate his ability to punish when the other team switches smaller guys onto him. So far the answer is yes, he can absolutely bury them in the post and on the glass.

Last edited:
I mean it was a basic, easy pass. It's cool that he recognized it, but it was right in front of him. It was more of a failed defensive possession by Osetkowski and Texas than brilliance from Bagley.

I mean it was a basic, easy pass. It's cool that he recognized it, but it was right in front of him. It was more of a failed defensive possession by Osetkowski and Texas than brilliance from Bagley.

It is... and maybe he isn't capable of making quick decisions like that all the time. We don't really know because we haven't seen enough yet. But based on other game footage, I'm inclined to believe he is capable of that kind of decision making. Even though it appears basic, that's the kind of play that can separate the good big men from the great.

It is... and maybe he isn't capable of making quick decisions like that all the time. We don't really know because we haven't seen enough yet. But based on other game footage, I'm inclined to believe he is capable of that kind of decision making. Even though it appears basic, that's the kind of play that can separate the good big men from the great.

Disagree... his offensive decision making has been prettttty bad all year.

The one thing that bagley really has is great range and extension with the left hand hook. Tough to stop and could be an elite move on the block or the dribble spin

Disagree... his offensive decision making has been prettttty bad all year.

I'll have to watch him a little more. What I saw yesterday was impressive. I don't put any stock into anything he's done against mid to low majors.

But again, I think these guys should be evaluated on how they'd fit a title contender and not how they'd look carrying a franchise.

I'll have to watch him a little more. What I saw yesterday was impressive. I don't put any stock into anything he's done against mid to low majors.

But again, I think these guys should be evaluated on how they'd fit a title contender and not how they'd look carrying a franchise.

Yeah, a couple of us have mentioned his similarities to Julius Randle. To me, alot of Bagley's/Randle's skills are not that conducive to winning IMO (especially in comparison to a guy like Bamba and what his strengths are... they're much closer to what I'd want out of my big).

However, with that said I think if you were to put Julius Randle on the Warriors, he'd be INSANELY good for them.

I still like Bagley and think he will be very good, but I don't think he can positively effect winning universally regardless of the situation he's in - something I certainly want when drafting top 3.

Another example of this type of thing is with John Collins in Atlanta. Not sure how familiar with him that you guys are, but he will put up some huge numbers in time. But what he does as a whole isn't super conducive to winning.

Insane stuff in this Alabama-Minnesota game.

They got into a scuffle and every Alabama came off the bench, resulting in every player on the bench being ejected.

So Alabama had just 5 players remaining, one of which just fouled out.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."