• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The "What are you playing now?" Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Same. Picked up the Special Edition. I've dabbled in Skyrim but never really went full force into it, so looked like a good opportunity.
I have no idea what edition I got. Any idea what the difference is?

All of my friends love the game and I finally pulled the trigger

I have no idea what edition I got. Any idea what the difference is?

All of my friends love the game and I finally pulled the trigger

I’m just referring to the remaster that released on Xbox One, PC and PS4 last year. I think it includes the DLC along with updated graphics. If you paid 20$ I’m assuming that’s what you got.

I’m just referring to the remaster that released on Xbox One, PC and PS4 last year. I think it includes the DLC along with updated graphics. If you paid 20$ I’m assuming that’s what you got.
Yeah I believe that's what I got then.

Finished Uncharted 4. Great game, really enjoyed it. I hadn't played one since 2, so I wasn't as heavily invested in the series as some, but the Epilogue ending was really fantastic. Overall, felt they did a good job closing out Drake's story. I think my only problem with that series was how you kind of had to "tune out" the killing of hundreds of people through the course of its action sequences, because it didn't really fit the characters narrative wise but those segments are critical to making the game, well, fun. The playable Epilogue was a nice cherry on top and I'll admit I was a little sad it was over.

Still catching up on some older games, obviously. Next up is The Last of Us Remastered.

Finished Uncharted 4. Great game, really enjoyed it. I hadn't played one since 2, so I wasn't as heavily invested in the series as some, but the Epilogue ending was really fantastic. Overall, felt they did a good job closing out Drake's story. I think my only problem with that series was how you kind of had to "tune out" the killing of hundreds of people through the course of its action sequences, because it didn't really fit the characters narrative wise but those segments are critical to making the game, well, fun. The playable Epilogue was a nice cherry on top and I'll admit I was a little sad it was over.

Still catching up on some older games, obviously. Next up is The Last of Us Remastered.

I've been plowing through some older titles that I missed over the past few years on PS4. Honestly, The Last of Us was the reason I went out and bought a PS4. Watched someone play it for a few minutes and from what I saw, the storyline was just too good to pass up. After playing through, it absolutely didn't disappoint - possibly the best overall narrative I've seen in a game. Joel and Ellie are the best. Pumped for TLOU2.

I've been plowing through some older titles that I missed over the past few years on PS4. Honestly, The Last of Us was the reason I went out and bought a PS4. Watched someone play it for a few minutes and from what I saw, the storyline was just too good to pass up. After playing through, it absolutely didn't disappoint - possibly the best overall narrative I've seen in a game. Joel and Ellie are the best. Pumped for TLOU2.

Yeah, I'm stoked to play it finally. I just got my PS4 a few months ago to play some of these games I missed out on. Also picked up Bloodborne, but kind of dreading that one. :chuckle:

I'm looking for a good retro gaming emulator console if anyone has experience and knows the best way to go. I'm sure it could be done for free through a pc, but I'd really like something that feels more authentic and uses original type controllers.

The Retron 5 look cool, but right now I don't want to spend that much or go to the trouble of buying all the games separately. For right now, I'm looking more to spend like 30-60 bucks max with something that has pre-built games that is plug and play. Which I've found some good ones on ebay but most are from China.

I've found one that plays NES and another that has SNES preloaded in games with controllers. That is what I'm leaning toward right now. But I figure I could stretch the money further if something is a little more expensive but way more worth it. Like the Raspberry Pi 3 set ups if anyone has any experience with that?

There are just so many different ones and I don't know what is the best route. Because I also know nothing about what is the best ones for optimization because there could also be input lag to the TV and some games don't run properly etc.

Anyone with recommendations, experience, or advice on this? I'm sure most who do this just play on computer, but I just want the cheapest, most authentic, optimized way. And if you need to PM me, then do that.

Even as I think about it more, the route I was going to go might be the worst way. Buying a retro knock off console that has built in games of only one system for 40-50 bucks. Because even though I love the plug and play and physical aspect the most, it'd probably be better to go to either other end of the spectrum. Like getting something that can play way more games and actually save progress like the Raspberry Pi 3 or some sort of other free software. Or getting something that actually does play physical cartridges like a Retron.

Help! :chuckle:

I'm with you Walt, as I'd like to try out the original Nintendo games I grew up playing again. Would have picked up the NES system that came out last year, but they were gobbled up and offered on eBay for 4X the cost.

Something simple that will play on today's tv's.

Even as I think about it more, the route I was going to go might be the worst way. Buying a retro knock off console that has built in games of only one system for 40-50 bucks. Because even though I love the plug and play and physical aspect the most, it'd probably be better to go to either other end of the spectrum. Like getting something that can play way more games and actually save progress like the Raspberry Pi 3 or some sort of other free software. Or getting something that actually does play physical cartridges like a Retron.

Help! :chuckle:

I recently received an SNES Mini Classic as a gift.... On Day 1, I modded the fuck out of it and now I've got about 7000 games on it, including PlayStation, Saturn and N64 games...

I gotta say, a RPi3 would still be better in some respects (more customizable); however, the SNES Classic is very nice, compact, and portable and it's so highly moddable.

I was against the console, but you can tell, it's OBVIOUS, that Nintendo designed this console to be modded.

Last edited:
I'm with you Walt, as I'd like to try out the original Nintendo games I grew up playing again. Would have picked up the NES system that came out last year, but they were gobbled up and offered on eBay for 4X the cost.

Something simple that will play on today's tv's.
Yea, same. Well, I want to play Nintendo games because I never really have. I want to experience Mario Bros. and Super Mario World as original as possible for the first time. A lot of Sega and Atari games are cool too.

What someone should do is build a box, kind of like a gamecube frame, and add controller plug-ins of all systems on each side. Like Ps1/Ps2 outlets on one side, NES/SNES controller plug ins on one side, Game cube on a side, Sega, N64, etc. And mod it so you can use any original controllers and play any games of those systems.

But actually, I bet the simpler solution is to get adapters for any controller that plugs into a computer. But it would need it's own software to work and run smooth for each one. It's still a bit too complicated for me. And plus, my whole dilemma is that I have a crappy computer. It can't even run Steam games.

I recently received an SNES Mini Classic as a gift.... On Day 1, I modded the fuck out of it and now I've got about 7000 games on it, including PlayStation, Saturn and N64 games...

I gotta say, a RPi3 would still be better in most respects; however, the SNES Classic is very nice, compact, and portable and it's so highly moddable.
That is amazing. Well, I think what I was looking at is a knock off of the SNES mini, and I think they block it from being moddable. Maybe that is not the way to go.

How do the other systems games run on it? Pretty smooth? I'd like a RPi3 because it seems like endless possibilities for games. It's just a bit over my head as I know nothing about modding. I'd prefer something easy and intuitive. But it'd be great getting to play all the games. I'm also looking at if a RPi3 can run steam games too or just stream them? Like if your computer can't play them for example. Retropie and Kodi I think go on RPi3 I've looked into. I don't know, I know nothing about this stuff.

I'm looking for a good retro gaming emulator console if anyone has experience and knows the best way to go. I'm sure it could be done for free through a pc, but I'd really like something that feels more authentic and uses original type controllers.

The Retron 5 look cool, but right now I don't want to spend that much or go to the trouble of buying all the games separately. For right now, I'm looking more to spend like 30-60 bucks max with something that has pre-built games that is plug and play. Which I've found some good ones on ebay but most are from China.

I've found one that plays NES and another that has SNES preloaded in games with controllers. That is what I'm leaning toward right now. But I figure I could stretch the money further if something is a little more expensive but way more worth it. Like the Raspberry Pi 3 set ups if anyone has any experience with that?

There are just so many different ones and I don't know what is the best route. Because I also know nothing about what is the best ones for optimization because there could also be input lag to the TV and some games don't run properly etc.

Anyone with recommendations, experience, or advice on this? I'm sure most who do this just play on computer, but I just want the cheapest, most authentic, optimized way. And if you need to PM me, then do that.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy the Retron 5. I don't see the point.

Unless you're doing speedruns, why bother? If you want the best emulation possible that's the most accurate, get the FPGA-based consoles (which will cost you a fortune), but then ask yourself why you want that level of emulation? I mean, I play these games at a high level and I could care less if the emulation is 100% -- like, even bsnes is overkill .. snes9x level emulation is fine.

Really, I just want shader options, so when I want CRT emulation I can get it, and when I wanna turn it off, I can... And I want to be able to emulate multiple consoles in one machine.. NeoGeo, MAME (anything Jamma), NES, SNES, TurboGfx/Duo, Atari, and PSX are the most important to me.. I'd love PS2 emulation in a small machine but, I know it would require a lot. Recently started emulating Wii U (cemu) and PS3 games on my computer...

As I said a second ago though, if you're just looking to emulate consoles prior to, or circa the 1990s, outside of the Dreamcast, you can do all of them on just an SNES Classic. So, that's the route I would go.

That is amazing. Well, I think what I was looking at is a knock off of the SNES mini, and I think they block it from being moddable. Maybe that is not the way to go.

Yep, and it's crazy to think that Nintendo would make a system that was so hush-hush moddable. I mean, it's basically a more powerful RPi3 with a very good graphics controller (for some reason?).

How do the other systems games run on it? Pretty smooth?

Very smooth.

The SNES clover emulator is actually better than Snes9x, it's very spot on for most SNES games. But for those that don't work, you can just use Snes9x.

For NES emulation, you'll use FCEmu by default as part of (lib)RetroArch, it's seamless, works flawlessly, and you have shader support, so, make the games look however you like.

For Genesis emulation, you've got the full gamut, including Sega CD, 32X and even 32X-CD. I had Snatcher up just the other night.

Turbo Grafix-16 works perfectly, including Turbo Duo -- just played Castlevania - Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, and it was perfect.

Higher end consoles are decent. Saturn is a bit choppy in Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2, PlayStation seems to work really well, and N64 is hit or miss with graphics glitches but this is where the SNES Mini beats out the RPi3 as it has a capable graphics processor.

Also, just recently I've gotten DOS and Amiga games running on the SNES.. I could probably even boot Windows 98 SE pretty easily, and maybe Windows XP (not that I would).

I'd like a RPi3 because it seems like endless possibilities for games. It's just a bit over my head as I know nothing about modding. I'd prefer something easy and intuitive. But it'd be great getting to play all the games.

You can't really go wrong with an RPi3. The only benefit of the SNES is the simplicity, and how it works. There's the on/off button, and the reset button, and it's very accessible. To mod it, there's tons of tutorials or I could just walk you through it -- however, with the RPi3, you really have no limitations, but... technically speaking, the SNES Mini IS an RPi3, it just has better 3D capabilities. So, there isn't a ton of distinction here, however, it's much easier to boot up a full Linux distro on an RPi3 than it is on an SNES, but, you could if you wanted to.

I'm also looking at if a RPi3 can run steam games too or just stream them?

It can run some Steam games that are Linux compatible, yes. You could also stream them, but I would not recommend this solution.. The recent Moonlight build works through the browser context, which, IMHO, sucks. It works well enough, don't get me wrong, but the overhead is very high and I'd have preferred a standalone solution. I get why they went this route though.

For game streaming, you're much better off spending the extra $80 and getting a Nvidia Shield. The fucking thing is amazing and would be better at Linux-based games.

Also, the Shield can do everything we're talking about, and much much more.... If you want to play modern games, get the Shield.

Like if your computer can't play them for example. Retropie and Kodi I think go on RPi3 I've looked into. I don't know, I know nothing about this stuff.

Retropie and Kodi play from the RPi3... but you can also play them from a Shield.

If you have a gaming PC, and only want a single device, and you wanna stream something that your RPi3 can't handle (like PS2 games or modern games) then get a Shield (assuming you have a Nvidia 9xx-series or better graphics card).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."