• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-2018 Boston Celtics: No Irving! No Hayward! No Brooklyn Pick!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regrade the finalized trade

• A+

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • A

Votes: 70 27.9%
  • B

Votes: 74 29.5%
  • C

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • D

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • F

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters

25-5. high 40s, high 30's, low 90's. Unstoppable in crunch time. Dies on every screen, but quick hands defensively when he gives effort so has a knack for steals.

Yeah....basically the same exact player he's been the past two years.

Same player he has been since he entered the league.

Maybe he's the same player...but hes just a little better at everything. His shooting is a little better. His defense is a little better.

Makes a big difference. He's a fringe MVP candidate. He wasn't that before.

Maybe he's the same player...but hes just a little better at everything. His shooting is a little better. His defense is a little better.

Not really sure why this would get a disagree. Nothing really wrong about this statement. The only aspect I would push back on is it doesn't seem as though the slightly improved on ball defense and and slightly improved shooting is what's getting him mvp pub. It's moreso the team success, being in Boston, and not playing with a better player.

In any event, watching them against Detroit, I can't help shake the feeling that this team could be in for a bit of a rude awakening come playoff time. Kyrie will be fine because he's a primetime player, but Tatum is untested, Baynes isn't a creator, Horford has never really shown the ability to up his game when it matters, and would anyone really trust Smart, Rozier, Larkin and Brown to make things happen? I think they have a number of exploitable pieces.

Could a lot of this not be attributed to him being the clear focal point/#1 guy again?

Not really sure why this would get a disagree. Nothing really wrong about this statement. The only aspect I would push back on is it doesn't seem as though the slightly improved on ball defense and and slightly improved shooting is what's getting him mvp pub. It's moreso the team success, being in Boston, and not playing with a better player.

In any event, watching them against Detroit, I can't help shake the feeling that this team could be in for a bit of a rude awakening come playoff time. Kyrie will be fine because he's a primetime player, but Tatum is untested, Baynes isn't a creator, Horford has never really shown the ability to up his game when it matters, and would anyone really trust Smart, Rozier, Larkin and Brown to make things happen? I think they have a number of exploitable pieces.

Yeah he’s not a real MVP candidate.

He’s being propped up by the teams early extra-good start, and general Boston ball slurping.

It looks as if Kyrie made a couple incremental small improvements that basically have helped win games. But nothing about his season is even fringe MVP-worthy except for one thing/ storyline (and the media in Boston willing to push it)

Despite all that, I’ve already seen Kyrie rightfully falling out of a lot of the early MVP discussions.The numbers just aren’t there and won’t be there barring a huge leap.

You guys are acting like this is new and that being the best player on the best team hasn't warranted MVP talk before? No, he's not gonna win it. James Harden is leading by a mile and a half. But he'll get votes.

You guys are acting like this is new and that being the best player on the best team hasn't warranted MVP talk before? No, he's not gonna win it. James Harden is leading by a mile and a half. But he'll get votes.

Except I'm not sure he's actually been the best player on his team...that's why I don't think he's the MVP. Curry and Durant are both getting penalized for that exact reason. Kyrie should too.

He's the face of the team, sure. He's their leading scorer. Sure. Best player overall? Absolutely. Best player so far this year? Arguable. Most impactful player? Definitely not.

Al Horford is 11th in the entire NBA in RPM. (Irving is 22nd). Has been the Celtics most impactful player statistically by a mile. Kyrie's best argument is his crunch time mastery(and it is indeed a fair argument). We can debate RPM as a statistic but the top 3 in RPM this year? Harden, Curry and LeBron. I'd say it's at least a decent metric.

Props to Kyrie for all he's done in Boston but he doesn't deserve MVP votes, yet. He needs to make one more "leap".

Celts getting pummeled by the worst team in the league without him. Might want to change the name of the thread to 17-18 MVP Thread ;). Just joking of course, fuck Kyrie.

Celts getting pummeled by the worst team in the league without him. Might want to change the name of the thread to 17-18 MVP Thread ;). Just joking of course, fuck Kyrie.

Was nice to see the Celtics mail in a game effort-wise for once.

The Bulls seem to somehow always manage to play Boston well no matter how bad they are. Was the same way for us with the Bulls last year, lol.

But... But I thought Jayson Tatum was a deadeye shooter?

Sad thing is, if you plugged him on the Cavs now, and in a perfect world got to keep everyone else, too (outside IT).

We probably could beat GS now. At least have a better chance than last season.

Hell, don't even include Crowder (non-perfect world). Not sure we still might not have at least a chance.

GS is not looking as invincible as last season. And the Cavs are a better team than last year if they still had Kyrie.

Oh well.

Kyrie's defense lately though has gone back towards Kyrie of a old more. Maybe not quite as bad.

Kinda thought it was a bit of anomaly. He's just never going to be very good on that end.

However, his efficiency is at an all-time high. It's hard to deny he's not playing his best basketball right now in his career.

He should be though, he's entering his prime. He's never going to change completely, you kinda are who you are at this point, but doesn't mean he's not, or isn't getting better.

Sad thing is, if you plugged him on the Cavs now, and in a perfect world got to keep everyone else, too (outside IT).

We probably could beat GS now. At least have a better chance than last season.

Hell, don't even include Crowder (non-perfect world). Not sure we still might not have at least a chance.

GS is not looking as invincible as last season. And the Cavs are a better team than last year if they still had Kyrie.

Oh well.
Golden State is not even slightly trying

Leave us with this same roster plus Kyrie and minus IT and we still get fucking smoked

So don’t feel bad about that hypothetical. Golden State will turn it on in the postseason and walk to their second uncontested title

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."