• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The "What are you playing now?" Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I liked that. People are bitching about it?

My guess is the bulk of people bitching are racists who are angry the game had the gall to call out not just Nazis (easy targets), but KKK members and general alt-right people as well. There are plenty of collectibles that poke fun at the alt-right, Trump, etc, and I think that rubbed some assholes the wrong way.

But generally speaking, I thought the cinematics in the game were fantastic, and they did a wonderful job fleshing out the characters. I mean, this game made you like a Nazi woman who changed sides because her mom treated her like absolute shit. When she slapped the shit out of that resistance chick who kept calling her a Nazi, that was an awesome scene. Very few games make you care about the characters at all, and this game makes me like half a dozen different people.

Just finished Wolfenstein II. Thought the ending was exactly what it needed to be. Very satisfying, and it set up the sequel perfectly. It was a great game overall. The shooting was fun, the stealth was more meaningful and improved from the previous game, and they did a wonderful job making you care about the various characters. A game this absurd shouldn't have such great writing, but it does. It's one of those rare games that combines great writing, gameplay, and graphics into a cohesive, awesome experience.

Definitely one of the best games of 2017.

@Chris you finished it, right? Do you agree with my assessment?

Just finished Wolfenstein II. Thought the ending was exactly what it needed to be. Very satisfying, and it set up the sequel perfectly. It was a great game overall. The shooting was fun, the stealth was more meaningful and improved from the previous game, and they did a wonderful job making you care about the various characters. A game this absurd shouldn't have such great writing, but it does. It's one of those rare games that combines great writing, gameplay, and graphics into a cohesive, awesome experience.

Definitely one of the best games of 2017.

@Chris you finished it, right? Do you agree with my assessment?

It was definitely a great FPS, and refreshing for me since I rarely see them anymore. Obviously, as stated, I haven't touched this series since Return to Castle Wolfenstein (which I liked a lot) and that was like 15 years ago I think. So I can't speak to improvements from Wolfenstein The New Order. But the stealth was fun and satisfying, upgrades were fun and simple, shooting felt tight and satisfying (easily the most important thing I look for in an FPS). Game looked absolutely fantastic, I played on Xbox One X and a 4K TV, not sure if it's an Enhanced title but it looked really nice... Story and character wise, again not really attached to this series but I was invested. The writing was certainly top notch, especially for an FPS, and while the story was ridiculous it somehow managed to keep me taking it seriously.

If I had a complaint it'd be that after I beat it, I really don't have any desire to go back and play again, or to do any of those side ops or whatever they are. Maybe it's because I just have so many other games going.

It was definitely one of the best games in 2017...but that statement means nothing coming from me since I just don't have the time to play like I used to, so there are plenty of magnificent titles like Zelda, Horizon, etc that I haven't played (yet) but I think most people really dig this game from what I've seen. The inevitable sequel is on my radar for sure.

Another note about games like this is it's nice to pick up a game and spend 12-15 hours with it and be done. I know that sounds ridiculous for the $60 investment but honestly on paper paying $60 for 15 hours of fun seems like a pretty solid deal. When I go to the movies I spend $10-15 for 2 hours of entertainment, sometimes less. I don't need every game to be 75+ hours, there is just too much of that going on these days. So I played Wolfenstein II, I'm in middle of The Last of Us, I just beat Uncharted 4, I like games like these I can pick up and really dive into for a while and beat because frankly now days I don't have the time and I'm kind of OCD about beating games/doing side stuff. Like I jammed out 3 hours of just hitting Witcher 3 question marks on the map, just so they weren't all over my map. So yeah, I'm being long winded, but definitely appreciate that some developers are still making tight, cohesive single player classics of this length.

Original Dark Souls Remaster coming out in a few months. Sweet. I'm playing 3 right now, inch by inch. Never played the original though, I hear it's the best. Will buy.

With Wolfenstein II done, I changed pace entirely and started playing Thimbleweed Park, which I've had on my hard drive for a while now but never loaded up. It's a Monkey Island style 2D adventure game with retro graphics. It does have voice acting, though, which is nice. So far, so good. It's not laugh out loud funny, or at least it hasn't been yet, but it's amusing. There are two difficulty levels: casual and hard. Being a veteran adventure gamer from the glory days when puzzles didn't have to make any sense, I went with hard mode. Thus far, the few puzzles I've run into haven't been too difficult and they've all made sense. Not sure if that will change, but usually clicking on everything will give you the information you need to solve whatever predicament you've found yourself in.

Only played for about an hour. More updates later.

Playing more Thimbleweed Park.

I enjoy how this game pokes fun at old adventure games all the time. There's a part where you can open a refrigerator and inside there's a broken glass ketchup bottle. Naturally, this being an adventure game, I picked it up. The character, who dreams of joining a LucasArts knockoff to develop adventure games, comments, "If this were a Sierra Online adventure game, I'd be dead now." :chuckle:

You can also ask the guy working at the postal office to tell you mail related jokes. He asked me, "What do postal workers do on their vacation?" One of the replies was: "Apply for jobs while drinking heavily."

Last edited:
Cranked out some more Witcher 3: Blood and Wine tonight. Fantastic stuff. Fully engrossed in this game again. Not only chock full of side quests but new systems, too. The new witcher mutation system actually makes it meaningful to level up and gain ability points again. Hell yeah.

Played some more Last of Us, game is similarly fantastic. Really happy I went back to play it. Not far yet, but the voice acting in this game is some of the best I have ever seen (heard?) and I love the plot/characters. Starting to really get a hang of the gameplay, and it's challenging but not frustrating which really makes it a pleasure to play. My only complaint is it seems to be "room/encounter based" which means if I die mid-encounter I need to go back through my painstakingly stealthed steps, re-take out all the clickers/bad guys I already killed even if I manual saved. I hate shit like that. But so far it hasn't come back to bite me much.

Man I've been running through FInal Fantasy V and it's a damn rough one. I've died a shit ton, but thankfully death isn't that punishing.

Do you mean XV or do you actually mean V?

Just a heads up, Civ VI is the featured game in the Humble Monthly Bundle this year. You get that, two added civilization/scenario packs, and like five or six other games to be announced in the first week of February for twelve bucks.

Considering Civ VI is a sixty dollar game right now, not a bad deal.

Cranked out some more Witcher 3: Blood and Wine tonight. Fantastic stuff. Fully engrossed in this game again. Not only chock full of side quests but new systems, too. The new witcher mutation system actually makes it meaningful to level up and gain ability points again. Hell yeah.

Played some more Last of Us, game is similarly fantastic. Really happy I went back to play it. Not far yet, but the voice acting in this game is some of the best I have ever seen (heard?) and I love the plot/characters. Starting to really get a hang of the gameplay, and it's challenging but not frustrating which really makes it a pleasure to play. My only complaint is it seems to be "room/encounter based" which means if I die mid-encounter I need to go back through my painstakingly stealthed steps, re-take out all the clickers/bad guys I already killed even if I manual saved. I hate shit like that. But so far it hasn't come back to bite me much.

Is Last of Us available on pc? I would love the chance to play it but don't have a playstation.

I really need to play Witcher 3. Idk how it's evaded me for this long.

Is Last of Us available on pc? I would love the chance to play it but don't have a playstation.

I really need to play Witcher 3. Idk how it's evaded me for this long.

It isnt unfortunately... find a cheap used ps4 or something, theres plenty of other exclusives that make the purchase worth it. I know the struggle. I reaaally want to play Zelda but aint buying a Switch for one game.

Witcher 3 best game ever btw

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."