• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 NBA Draft - June 21

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Rough finish from Bamba...has the rebound stripped away from him, then loses his balance and falls down, giving up the game winning layup. He's struggled with physicality from time to time, and while I'm hopeful that adding some more muscle to his frame will help, part of the problem seems to be in his head. He just doesn't embrace and seek out contact the way the best defensive players do.
I'm also a bit concerned with his bbiq on offense. He just seems to process info really slowly on that end and he's had a bunch of horrific shots in close games down the stretch. I think the boom/bust potential with him is extremely high.

I'm also a bit concerned with his bbiq on offense. He just seems to process info really slowly on that end and he's had a bunch of horrific shots in close games down the stretch. I think the boom/bust potential with him is extremely high.

His subterranean assist rate is the main reason my draft rater doesn't like him. Very few players average so few assists in college and go on to have productive NBA careers. He's had an assist in each of his last two games, which is progress (before that he went 8 games in a row with no assists), and he'll need to continue that trend in a big way to nudge back into the top-3 conversation.

His subterranean assist rate is the main reason my draft rater doesn't like him. Very few players average so few assists in college and go on to have productive NBA careers. He's had an assist in each of his last two games, which is progress (before that he went 8 games in a row with no assists), and he'll need to continue that trend in a big way to nudge back into the top-3 conversation.

Beyond the assists though, I can't recall Bamba reading the defense and making a quick correct swing pass when he got the ball. Ayton is used almost exclusively as a finisher as well and I've seen him make impressive passes out of the double team and one-touch passes back out to shooters. I think it's clearly evident that Bamba isn't ready to play any offensive role beyond a roll man in a spread floor. The million dollar question is if he develops the instincts in the future.

Beyond the assists though, I can't recall Bamba reading the defense and making a quick correct swing pass when he got the ball. Ayton is used almost exclusively as a finisher as well and I've seen him make impressive passes out of the double team and one-touch passes back out to shooters. I think it's clearly evident that Bamba isn't ready to play any offensive role beyond a roll man in a spread floor. The million dollar question is if he develops the instincts in the future.

Oh yeah, I'm not looking at ones and zeros in the assists column because the intrinsic value of a single assist is particularly large. I'm looking at assists because they're the best statistical measure we have for basketball IQ. A guy who gets at least 1 assist per game is typically a guy who can make all the basic passes like the quick correct swing passes you're talking about. A guy who strings together 0-assist games is typically a ball-stopper or just a complete nonfactor on offense.

Daniel Gafford now ahead of Robert Williams for me. He could become a serious threat as a rim roller in the NBA. Always brings energy on both ends. Has Larry Nance Jr. type of athleticism with better defensive instincts and a little more size. Top 20 guy for me.

Oh yeah, I'm not looking at ones and zeros in the assists column because the intrinsic value of a single assist is particularly large. I'm looking at assists because they're the best statistical measure we have for basketball IQ. A guy who gets at least 1 assist per game is typically a guy who can make all the basic passes like the quick correct swing passes you're talking about. A guy who strings together 0-assist games is typically a ball-stopper or just a complete nonfactor on offense.
Agreed. My concern is that Bamba may be such a black hole on offense that his massive defensive contributions get wiped away as a rookie. Of course, if we're rebuilding then it's no issue at all if you think the problem is just a lack of experience.

Rough finish from Bamba...has the rebound stripped away from him, then loses his balance and falls down, giving up the game winning layup. He's struggled with physicality from time to time, and while I'm hopeful that adding some more muscle to his frame will help, part of the problem seems to be in his head. He just doesn't embrace and seek out contact the way the best defensive players do.

Reminds me so much of a more athletic Thabeet.

Reminds me so much of a more athletic Thabeet.

So, a Thabeet who bounces from team to team a few years longer before everyone finally realizes he's garbage? Not a very flattering comparison :chuckle:

So, a Thabeet who bounces from team to team a few years longer before everyone finally realizes he's garbage? Not a very flattering comparison :chuckle:

Yeah. The more I watch, the more I sour on him. Not sure why.

If we keep both of picks, we need to take him with our own if he is there.

Saw an article saying he's not going to make his decision until the next letter of intent signing period... Meaning we won't know his decision until mid-May. He just played in one of the bigger HS tourneys this past weekend and apparently impressed with about 15 NBA teams there.

Nets blown out in the 4th quarter at home against a Knicks team that lost in OT last night. Didn't see that coming...I'm guessing Ntilikina locked up Dinwiddie?

First career double-double, 3 rebounds short of a triple double, and a team-high +17. Bumpy ride for him this season, but arguably more good than bad.

More importantly, a key loss for the Nets. 538 now has them at 29 projected wins, in the 5th spot, 1 win more than the Suns and 1 win less than the Lakers.

Nets blown out in the 4th quarter at home against a Knicks team that lost in OT last night. Didn't see that coming...I'm guessing Ntilikina locked up Dinwiddie?

First career double-double, 3 rebounds short of a triple double, and a team-high +17. Bumpy ride for him this season, but arguably more good than bad.

More importantly, a key loss for the Nets. 538 now has them at 29 projected wins, in the 5th spot, 1 win more than the Suns and 1 win less than the Lakers.

That he did. And he hit some shots off the dribble for once. Trey Burke was surprisingly useful as well. Any time you can reduce Jarrett Jack's minutes it's a positive.

Hornets, Hawks, and Bulls all won too.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."