• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Buckeyes Football

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
View: https://twitter.com/PCampbell21/status/951537734631469056

FUCK YEAH. This is really, really good news. I think next year could be really big for Parris.

Assuming Haskins is the starter, Parris will become even more integral in the run game. He will be used on the jet sweep to stretch defenses horizontally. They'll get him more touches in an effort to keep defenses from consistently attacking between the tackles.

I love it....huge for 2018.

Terry McLaurin, KJ Hill, Isaiah Prince all staying too.

Only early entrants were Ward, Hubbard, Baker.

We needed a year where most guys came back. Very excited for next season.

Is this pretty much Haskins' job or is Martell going to be in the picture for real? Too early to say? Gut feelings?

Also, seems Haskins is more of a pro style/pocket passing type. How would this affect the offense? I know we seem pass happy lately but OSU is always at the best with the power run and with a guy like Haskins it seems like QB runs would go away?

Is this pretty much Haskins' job or is Martell going to be in the picture for real? Too early to say? Gut feelings?

Also, seems Haskins is more of a pro style/pocket passing type. How would this affect the offense? I know we seem pass happy lately but OSU is always at the best with the power run and with a guy like Haskins it seems like QB runs would go away?

Haskins is much more Cardale than JT Barrett or Braxton Miller.

Haskins isn't immobile, he just isn't very effective in the Zone-read system.

But with Kevin Wilson and Ryan Day in the booth, this seems like the perfect time to evolve the offense, and take advantage of Haskins arm talent. Haskins undeniably has an NFL arm.

If Haskins does start, I do anticipate packages for Martell, or at least several plays a game, just to keep him engaged. Martell got rave reviews in multiple roles this last season....he played a lot of scout team QB, but even played scout team RB and WR. He's a good athlete. For his part, Martell says even if he doesn't win the job, he'd willingly take the field at another offensive position.....I don't think he's that good of an athlete, but it's encouraging to see him that hungry for PT.

Last edited:

I'm sure it will be a competition but I have to imagine Haskins has more than one leg up on Martell.

As @billmac91 mentioned, Haskins is built like Cardale. He's not an incredible runner like Braxton/JT, but he's not a statue either. Remember his long run against Michigan? Remember Cardale's runs against Bama & Oregon?

To me, having a QB like Haskins is a win in every way for the offense. Instead of the QB running 25 times a game, we'll rely more on the RBs, which as I'm sure you know I'm always in favor of. Haskins should also provide a real downfield passing game which will open things up enormously for the offense. You know...like that 3 game stretch we had at the end of 2014. I know the personnel and staff is different than it was in 2014, but I believe in Kevin Wilson's track record running an offense...and with Weber and all the WRs coming back, we are deep at the skill positions.

Needless to say, I have big expectations for 2018. I think it's going to be a special year.

The schedule isn't easy next year, but I believe we'll be able to handle it. TCU is losing basically their entire team. PSU has key losses on the roster and on the coaching staff.

The one game I'm worried about is at Michigan State. They return basically their entire team. After beating them by infinity last year, I can't imagine Dantonio won't have them ready to play.

Joe Burrow, if healthy, I think has a shot to win the job. He checks a lot a lot of the boxes Urban likes as a QB.

Joe Burrow, if healthy, I think has a shot to win the job. He checks a lot a lot of the boxes Urban likes as a QB.

Forgot about him although I swear I heard he was leaving or something.

I think that was just mostly fans assuming he'll transfer since he seemingly is never going to start for this team.

Hadn’t heard that, but certainly could be true.

Burrow has an extra year in the system and is probably the better runner. Those seem like things Urban values highly.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly think Haskins could be tremendous, Burrow just seems like a guy Urban would overvalue.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."