• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Browns Quarterback Position

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...the-trade-that-almost-sent-him-to-the-browns/

AJ McCarron describes total chaos of the trade that almost sent him to the Browns
John Breech

For one, it would have allowed him a chance to become a starting quarterback, and two, it would have reunited him with former Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

"As a competitor, I wanted that opportunity, just to be able to showcase and help a team win ball games," McCarron said. "I think I would have had some success playing for Hue. I would have loved the opportunity to go up there and get them a win, more than one win. As a competitor, that's all you can ask for."

How many concussions has this guy had?

Unfortunately I think we will sign AJ McCarron as our starter. I think he will do ok, get us 4-5 wins next year. I can only hope we draft a QB that will beat him out as our starter by 2020.

The Browns will Draft Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield.
after an intense battle during training camp and the preseason.
Hue will make a clear cut decision and stick with his man Kizer.... for the first quarter. Mayfield for the second quarter and Rosen for the 3rd quarters.

The Browns will then run a complicated analytical assessment on the sideline to decide who will play the 4th quarter,

After 6 games the Starter will be declared by attrition as 2 of three go out with Injury.

Game 7 Rosen will start only to go out of the game. Browns will turn to WR Lamar Jackson

This group will be affectionally called the puppy pack

Jackson will be lauded for running three entirely different offensive schemes in one game although to the fans we only observe the same 4 plays being called .

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...the-trade-that-almost-sent-him-to-the-browns/

AJ McCarron describes total chaos of the trade that almost sent him to the Browns
John Breech

For roughly three minutes back in October, AJ McCarron thought that he had been traded to the Cleveland Browns.

In what will easily go down as one of the most bizarre situations of the 2017 season, the Bengals and Browns appeared to have a trade in place on Oct. 31 that was going to send McCarron to Cleveland in a deal that would give the Bengals two draft picks (a second and third round pick in 2018).

However, the trade never went down because the Browns apparently forgot to send some paperwork to the NFL. The situation was so crazy that even Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was at a loss for words after the deal didn't happen.

Although McCarron did talk about the botched trade during a media session on November 1, he never really went into detail on how things went down from his point of view.

So how crazy did things get for McCarron that day?

The Bengals backup quarterback finally described the situation during an interview with WNSP-FM in Mobile, Alabama.

"It was an odd deal," McCarron said, via AL.com. "I got a text from my agent at 3:34 saying 'Hey, there's a possible trade going down. Stay by your phone. I'll let you know.'"

At that point, McCarron waited 26 minutes before he finally got another update from his agent. During that time, McCarron had no idea if he'd be staying in Cincinnati or if he'd be getting shipped off to Cleveland.

"I got another call from him right at 4 saying 'From what I know, it's a done deal. I'll call you back in a minute and let you know," McCarron said.

Basically, at 4 p.m. ET on October 31, McCarron thought he was officially headed to Cleveland, but then that all changed just three minutes later.

"The next call I got was at 4:03 and [my agent says] 'Hey, the trade didn't go through. They didn't get the paperwork in on time,'" McCarron said. "Everybody has a story. I'm sure Cleveland has their own story, Cincy has their own story. But it's just one of those things, when you think you've seen everything, you're shown a little bit more. I think the only people who truly know what happened were the ones leading the whole situation on both sides."

According to multiple reports, it was the Browns who botched the trade after they "forgot" to file the proper paperwork with the league. McCarron was actually hoping he would get traded for two big reasons. For one, it would have allowed him a chance to become a starting quarterback, and two, it would have reunited him with former Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

"As a competitor, I wanted that opportunity, just to be able to showcase and help a team win ball games," McCarron said. "I think I would have had some success playing for Hue. I would have loved the opportunity to go up there and get them a win, more than one win. As a competitor, that's all you can ask for."

Although McCarron is currently stuck with the Bengals, there's a chance he could become a free agent in February, but it's a complicated situation. McCarron's four-year rookie deal is set to to expire after the 2017 season, but there's one small catch: No one seems sure if he'll be a restricted free agent or an unrestricted free agent.

Generally speaking, any rookie selected in the second through seventh round of the draft will become an unrestricted free agent -- and can sign with any team -- after their four-year rookie deal expires. However, McCarron's situation is slightly different.

The Bengals quarterback spent most his rookie season on the NFI (non-football injury) list, and therefore, didn't accrue a season of playing time, so the Bengals are arguing that McCarron should be a restricted free agent.

If that happens, the Bengals could put a first-, second- or fifth-round tender on him,
which means a team would have to give them a draft pick if they were to sign McCarron in March. However, if McCarron wins his case, then he would become an unrestricted free agent and he'd be free to sign with any team.

Right now, the case is still up in the air, but it's expected to be decided on Feb. 15.
So another article with a different spin on things.

I wonder if anyone actually knows what happened. At least a couple articles at the time of the trade blamed the browns but admitted it was the bengals that didnt realize the browns had sent them the paper work.

Hue will make a clear cut decision and stick with his man Kizer.... for the first quarter. Mayfield for the second quarter and Rosen for the 3rd quarters.

The Browns will then run a complicated analytical assessment on the sideline to decide who will play the 4th quarter,

After 6 games the Starter will be declared by attrition as 2 of three go out with Injury.

Game 7 Rosen will start only to go out of the game. Browns will turn to WR Lamar Jackson

Jackson will be lauded for running three entirely different offensive schemes in one game although to the fans we only observe the same 4 plays being called .

Ow. My head hurts.

You forgot to throw Pryor in for the wildcat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I think we will sign AJ McCarron as our starter. I think he will do ok, get us 4-5 wins next year. I can only hope we draft a QB that will beat him out as our starter by 2020.
2020? If he is your starter for the next Two years, than what a gigantic waste of time. Career backup and half to maybe one year bridge qb is all this guy probably has.

Any consider Foles or Keenum viable bridge QBs based on what they've done this year? Hell.. or even Bortles.

Foles is under contract for next season with Wentz coming off an ACL, hard to see him becoming available.

Keenum...meh, I could get on board. He's probably behind Bradford or Smith. You know what you're getting, it's not that great.

Foles is under contract for next season with Wentz coming off an ACL, hard to see him becoming available.

Keenum...meh, I could get on board. He's probably behind Bradford or Smith. You know what you're getting, it's not that great.

I dont think Foles or Keenum fix anything. They were both journeymen qb's until they played with a top 5 defense and some offensive weapons.

I guess they would be ok as a bridge qb, but i still would like to try and get a good vet and take a qb #1 overall, like i said before be in a situation like SD was were Rivers sat for 2 years behind Drew.

Wonder what the compensation was.

And Cousins is now officially on the market.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."