• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rate the last movie you saw

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I really like it.

Gorgeous film. I felt that Ed Norton deserved a supporting actor nod.
For sure. Ed Norton absolutely kills it in every scene he's in, although he isn't in many. He obviously can't emote with facial expressions, but it was all of the little things that sold his role. What stuck with me was how he rode his horse: slouched over, leaning a bit towards one side, being bounced up and down when the horse moves. He absolutely looked the part of a deathly ill man trying to look strong but barely holding on.

Has anyone ever watched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven? I remember watching the original in theaters and remember thinking there were so many missed opportunities. Turns out that the studio made Ridley Scott cut out about 50 mins of content to make it to the screen, which resulted in a mess of a film. The director's cut adds it all back and the difference is night and day, and some say it's the biggest difference from theater to director's cut ever.

It isn't a perfect film, Orlando Bloom is somewhat underwhelming as a lead and some of the dialogue and themes are a bit heavy handed. Still, the gorgeous cinematography, world building and amazing ensemble performances make this film an easy 9.0-9.5 /10 for me. Special shout out to Edward Norton as the Leper King, who manages to inject a ton of emotion and sympathy into his character even though we never see an inch of his skin.

Yes, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Orlando Bloom is terribly miscast but other than that the director's cut is a magnificent film.

For sure. Ed Norton absolutely kills it in every scene he's in, although he isn't in many. He obviously can't emote with facial expressions, but it was all of the little things that sold his role. What stuck with me was how he rode his horse: slouched over, leaning a bit towards one side, being bounced up and down when the horse moves. He absolutely looked the part of a deathly ill man trying to look strong but barely holding on.

You should get the bio on the Baldwin IV. Fascinating man.

His greatest victory over Saladin was very improbable. He was reconnoitering with his knights and sergeants, about 600 mounted troops when he came across Saladin's army encamped. About 10,000-15,000 men.

The encampment wasn't fortified. It would take a day for the rest of the Army of Jerusalem to arrive. So he charged and caught Saladin completely by surprise. Saladin barely escaped with his life and the Islamic host was slaughtered. Baldwin was 16.

You should get the bio on the Baldwin IV. Fascinating man.

His greatest victory over Saladin was very improbable. He was reconnoitering with his knights and sergeants, about 600 mounted troops when he came across Saladin's army encamped. About 10,000-15,000 men.

The encampment wasn't fortified. It would take a day for the rest of the Army of Jerusalem to arrive. So he charged and caught Saladin completely by surprise. Saladin barely escaped with his life and the Islamic host was slaughtered. Baldwin was 16.
Incredible. I know they touched on it a bit in the film, but that alone could be a movie in itself. Also, is it unique to have the people accept a leper king? I was of the impression that lepers were totally shunned and outcast from society back in the day.

Yes, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Orlando Bloom is terribly miscast but other than that the director's cut is a magnificent film.
He's definitely not great, but I thought he was ok since for most of the film he's supposed to be a completely broken man looking for a purpose. It's also not so bad because a lot of the events seem to be happening around him and not because of him, so he's more of a central supporting character who we're seeing the world through if that makes any sense.

Incredible. I know they touched on it a bit in the film, but that alone could be a movie in itself. Also, is it unique to have the people accept a leper king? I was of the impression that lepers were totally shunned and outcast from society back in the day.

His infirmity was hidden for a long time.

The real problem was the dearth of male heirs in general Outremer. The Royal House had no replacements for him. In reality Queen Sybilla, and her mother, badgered Baldwin into letting her marry Guy because he was dashing and gallant (but dumb). So though he was mostly immobile for the last four years of his reign he had to carry on because there were many dangers in a regency for a young child; in this case Sybilla's young son from her first marriage. He knew Guy was a fool and didn't abdicate for that reason.

His infirmity was hidden for a long time.

The real problem was the dearth of male heirs in general Outremer. The Royal House had no replacements for him. In reality Queen Sybilla, and her mother, badgered Baldwin into letting her marry Guy because he was dashing and gallant (but dumb). So though he was mostly immobile for the last four years of his reign he had to carry on because there were many dangers in a regency for a young child; in this case Sybilla's young son from her first marriage. He knew Guy was a fool and didn't abdicate for that reason.
I love his quote: "When I was sixteen, I won a great victory. I felt in that moment I would live to be a hundred. Now I know I shall not see thirty."

Both the line and the delivery are pitch perfect.

This thread took a hard left turn from frat gang bangs to ancient military history.

Has anyone ever watched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven? I remember watching the original in theaters and remember thinking there were so many missed opportunities. Turns out that the studio made Ridley Scott cut out about 50 mins of content to make it to the screen, which resulted in a mess of a film. The director's cut adds it all back and the difference is night and day, and some say it's the biggest difference from theater to director's cut ever.

It isn't a perfect film, Orlando Bloom is somewhat underwhelming as a lead and some of the dialogue and themes are a bit heavy handed. Still, the gorgeous cinematography, world building and amazing ensemble performances make this film an easy 9.0-9.5 /10 for me. Special shout out to Edward Norton as the Leper King, who manages to inject a ton of emotion and sympathy into his character even though we never see an inch of his skin.

Ill have to rewatch it: I thought it had a lot of potential as well.
Guess not very surprising that a Ridley Scott film needs a director's cut lol

Just watched A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix about Doug Kenney, one of the guys that founded National Lampoon and wrote Animal House and Caddyshack. It was pretty good.

Will Forte played him. I like Forte a lot, so that may have tilted me one way. Not sure.

Emmy Rossum is in it. She's one of my dream girls. Love her.

Ill have to rewatch it: I thought it had a lot of potential as well.
Guess not very surprising that a Ridley Scott film needs a director's cut lol
I really recommend it, the difference is night and day. And to be fair, it apparently wasn't his fault. He showed it to the studio in it's full 3 hrs and they told him to cut out about a quarter of the film. If anything, his mistake was not fighting hard to keep it at that length.

Just watched A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix about Doug Kenney, one of the guys that founded National Lampoon and wrote Animal House and Caddyshack. It was pretty good.

Will Forte played him. I like Forte a lot, so that may have tilted me one way. Not sure.

Emmy Rossum is in it. She's one of my dream girls. Love her.
Love me some Emmy.

Can I get a non-spoiler Black Panther review/rating? I’m pretty indifferent on the whole superhero things, but heard it doesn’t really portray as a simple “this is a superhero movie” like, say, a Thor movie.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."