• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-18 Cleveland Indians Offseason

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
edit: nope

Last edited:
I am not sure how he had the 9th worst reliever on the staff, when Merritt is a starter, which makes him have the 8th worst ERA so get that part right. Also he was apart of one of the best pitching staffs statistically baseball has ever seen. This pitching staff is Cooperstown numbers good and still will be next season regardless especially if guys like Salazar stay healthy.

Also Shaw was second on the team in holds, had the most inherited runners, second on the team when it came to ground ball outs, tied for second for forcing the most ground ball double plays on the roster and most in all of MLB for a reliever.

Now onto another stat His FIP was also sub 3 at 2.96 while his era was 3.52, which usually says he was pitching better than his ERA indicated. Everyone else you mentioned had ZMac (3.77) Goody (3.45) Otero (3.64) Guys like Miller 1.44 ERA to 1.99 FIP, Allen had 2.94 ERA to a 3.19 FIP. (Shaw usually has a worse FIP than ERA and this seasons was actually extremely good)

https://www.fangraphs.com/library/pitching/fip/

The league's FIP overall in 2017 was an average of 4.36, so our entire staff was a at Average or above average including Tomlin.

Now since you have a name that says you are into stats, what does that say to you?

I dont look at just ERA, and for baseball, they have so many stats its not funny. If you are going to say you are a statman and post in a baseball forum, you better be able to put up some stats.

Briea shaw apologists don't understand the basic concept of what an ERA is. And until proven otherwise, Merritt is in the bullpen. You are correct that the tribe overall staff was historically, incredibly good. But it doesn't change the indisputable fact that Shaw was the 9th worst reliever on the team. Brian Shaw was the master in kissing the boss's ass over the past couple of seasons playing cribbage with Tito for hours on end. It paid off in a ridiculous 27 million dollar 3 year deal. He should kick back 2/3 of it to Tito.

Putting Shaw and Smith on the playoff roster ahead of Goody, Otero, and ZMac was almost as dumb as putting Urshella and Gio on the roster above Y. Diaz. The latter blunder by Tito might have cost the tribe a championship last season. with Gio allowing 5 unearned (2 horribly misplayed balls)runs in a 7-3 game 4 loss.

Briea shaw apologists don't understand the basic concept of what an ERA is. And until proven otherwise, Merritt is in the bullpen. You are correct that the tribe overall staff was historically, incredibly good. But it doesn't change the indisputable fact that Shaw was the 9th worst reliever on the team. Brian Shaw was the master in kissing the boss's ass over the past couple of seasons playing cribbage with Tito for hours on end. It paid off in a ridiculous 27 million dollar 3 year deal. He should kick back 2/3 of it to Tito.

Putting Shaw and Smith on the playoff roster ahead of Goody, Otero, and ZMac was almost as dumb as putting Urshella and Gio on the roster above Y. Diaz. The latter blunder by Tito might have cost the tribe a championship last season. with Gio allowing 5 unearned (2 horribly misplayed balls)runs in a 7-3 game 4 loss.

I don't think you understand that ERA is not the end-all, be-all statistic for evaluating pitchers.

If it was, then Ed Walsh, Addie Joss, and Jim Devlin are the best pitchers in the history of baseball.

If it was, then Cole Hamels is a better pitcher than Roy Halladay.

If it was, then Adam Wainwright is a better pitcher than Randy Johnson.

If it was, then Bob Lemon is a better pitcher than Bob Feller.

Stop spewing your BS all over the forums under the alias of "thestatman" if you're only going to look at the most elementary and basic statistics that are available.

I think the funniest part of this is that amongst this guy's peers he probably is the stat man and he probably genuinely believes he is bringing in depth and hard hitting analysis to the table. He has mastered quite literally two statistics and is now going on about how people don't truly understand ERA (which is just hilarious because ERA has to be one of the easiest stats to understand)

I actually find this all hilarious to the extent that I have laughed out loud at his posts

I think the funniest part of this is that amongst this guy's peers he probably is the stat man and he probably genuinely believes he is bringing in depth and hard hitting analysis to the table. He has mastered quite literally two statistics and is now going on about how people don't truly understand ERA (which is just hilarious because ERA has to be one of the easiest stats to understand)

I actually find this all hilarious to the extent that I have laughed out loud at his posts

I mean, he's dumb

The part that bothers me more are the people who validate his posts as "trolling." Trying to degrade people who are trying to set the record straight is asinine.

Reactions: AZ_
Also Frankie and Yandy must have hung out all winter. Looking jacked.

I mean, he's dumb

The part that bothers me more are the people who validate his posts as "trolling." Trying to degrade people who are trying to set the record straight is asinine.

I read this like five times and couldn't tell you what it means...I'm sober, too. Relatively.

I mean, he's dumb

2890861-albacore-tuna-taking-the-bait.jpg

Lindor will pop our cherry

I don't know. I'm hopeful Frankie signs an extension, but he reportedly already turned one down worth around $100 M. With his New Balance endorsement deal in his back pocket, I could see him just riding arbitration 2019-2021 and then hitting free agency at age 28 and absolutely banking. Sadly, I think we have 4 more seasons to enjoy him.

My point x2. What does this accomplish? It's not like explaining to someone why their statement is wrong is some excruciating exercise that we've put effort into so, haha you took the bait!

This shit's just dumb. It's been dumb for twenty years, but only recently have people started excusing all dumb behavior as "trolling" and anyone responding to stupid things as someone being "baited."

My point x2. What does this accomplish? It's not like explaining to someone why their statement is wrong is some excruciating exercise that we've put effort into so, haha you took the bait!

This shit's just dumb. It's been dumb for twenty years, but only recently have people started excusing all dumb behavior as "trolling" and anyone responding to stupid things as someone being "baited."

Here's the thing.

Either this guy statman is trolling, in which case you should just put him on ignore until he inevitably gets banned.

Or...

He's being serious and in which case there's no point in arguing with him because he doesn't understand basic things and he's not willing or able to learn them.

This idea of you "setting the record straight" is just you taking this message board shit way too seriously.

If a guy makes bad posts, just put him on ignore, it's not worth all this up your own ass hand wringing about how the board needs to put this guy in his place.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."