• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Cleveland Browns Off Season Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
With yesterday's trade, we are likely going to have our pick of the top QB in the draft and top position player that isn't a QB. That's just crazy. I agree with Phillis in that I'm usually in favor of trading down, but thats damn tempting.

I think the chances to get the top non-QB player at 4 will be tempting for some teams. If the Browns are deadset on Ward/Fitz rather than Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson, I'd take the chance and trade down a few spots if the price is right. Worst case scenario, Ward and Fitz are off the board and you still get to pick from Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson....Not a horrible consolation prize.
I guess it all depends on how they have the player at #4 rated. If he is truly on the same level as Garrett as a prospect and we have him rated that much higher than the next best player. I agree, you take that player and don't look to trade unless Denver wants a QB and we drop only 1 spot for a 2nd or 3rd and still get the same player we wanted all along.

It’s not necessarily an either or situation. Let’s say for arguments sake that the Browns top 3 choices at 4 are Chubb, Fitzpatrick and Ward.

The Bills want to move up for a QB. 4 might be their best chance. Price might be too high for them to go all the way up to 2. Ergo the Browns have a good bit of leverage over the Bills to find a deal in their favor.

At the exact same time, the Browns can and should be negotiating with Denver at 5, Indianapolis at 6, Tampa at 7 and Chicago at 8 to see if they’d be willing to slide back from their spot to 12.

Since there’s less leverage for those teams (Cleveland wouldn’t be desperate to move up like Buffalo is), the Browns could move down to 12 and then back up to 5-8, still land one of the guys on their short list from pick 4, and pay less than what they received to move down.

For some reason people think trading down means the Browns would be locked into the 12th pick and that’s just obviously not the case.
That I would be ok with.

I don’t see the issues with adding several rookies; if they’re good players, you’ve established an ideal situation — several good players on rookie contracts.

They’re the ones who can help you win now if you make the right selections.

With yesterday's trade, we are likely going to have our pick of the top QB in the draft and top position player that isn't a QB. That's just crazy. I agree with Phillis in that I'm usually in favor of trading down, but thats damn tempting.

I think the chances to get the top non-QB player at 4 will be tempting for some teams. If the Browns are deadset on Ward/Fitz rather than Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson, I'd take the chance and trade down a few spots if the price is right. Worst case scenario, Ward and Fitz are off the board and you still get to pick from Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson....Not a horrible consolation prize.
Keep the pick...screw extra picks get 2 of the top 5 in this draft....

All of which could be argued as a #1 overall most years.
The QBs? I would say only Darnold and Rosen would be guys who would be in the #1 conversation in a lot of years. And I think both would have been behind Goff in his draft. I can’t think of any drafts where Allen, Jackson, or Mayfield would be a no brainer at 1. Like, if any of them were in last year’s draft they weren’t going above Garrett

If you meant the non QBs I strongly disagree. None of them are even close to Garrett and in any draft with an elite QB prospect they wouldn’t get chatter for #1.

Chubb on one side and Garrett on the other gives me a Chubb just thinking about it. You are talking a dominating defensive line for a long time. Oh yeah and don't forget Ogbah either. Browns please do it.

Last edited:
Chubb on one side and Garrett on the other gives me a Chubb just thinking about that. You are talking a dominating defensive line for a long time. Oh yeah and don't forget Ogbah either. Browns please do it.

Gregg Williams would have no idea how to take advantage of that. There’s nothing in his 1990s defensive playbook that uses 3 DEs. He’d probably line one of them up in coverage.

If the Browns could get 12, 22 and Buffalo’s 2019 1st for 4, they could then turn around and flip 12 and 22 to Indy for 6, snag Ward and still have a second first rounder in place next year.

I don't think it would even take that much. 6 isn't in the QB window anymore, so the premium isn't there. 12 and our last 2nd this year should do it.

Chubb on one side and Garrett on the other gives me a Chubb just thinking about that. You are talking a dominating defensive line for a long time. Oh yeah and don't forget Ogbah either. Browns please do it.
What do you do with Ogbah, rotate him in? It creates a logjam at a full position with other key areas lacking talent and depth and premier players on the board.

What do you do with Ogbah, rotate him in? It creates a logjam at a full position with other key areas lacking talent and depth and premier players on the board.

Defensive lines need to be rotated quite often. 2 Elite edge rushers and 1 above average sub would be a nightmare scenario for offensive tackles. I'm sure that packages could be devised based on down and distance where one could be rotated inside.

This scenario could make any average DB good or very good. It's definitely something to consider, O-Lines and QBs would actually fear the Browns on gameplanning around something. Garrett and Chubb would get a lot of DBs on the Browns paid over the years, it's pretty much simple as that. Those two would elevate everyone else because they're game changers.

Safest pick in the draft is probably Chubb. You just know what you're going to get.

Then we have three other top choices to address our CB situation with. Our LBs seem set, I wouldn't mind going QB, DE, DB, DB, RB with our first five picks. If we can somehow hit on future stud CB #1 with those picks then it's a huge success going forward.

Ogbah is a really disruptive player if slid inside. If the Browns take Chubb, I'd expect to see Ogbah inside a ton.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."