• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The "What are you playing now?" Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You could be waiting awhile .. like, years..

If all of your friends are console gamers, and you guys play together -- then perhaps stick with a console? But IMHO, there is no comparison between the two.. PC gaming is just unrivaled in this era.

It didn't used to be that way in the 16-bit and 32-bit era of gaming from the Genesis to the PS2/Dreamcast, consoles were just all around better gaming platforms for anything not wholly 3D. But the PS3/Xbox 360 generation was probably the last where console gaming made more sense than a PC.
I wish I could like PC gaming. I just was not any good with a keyboard n mouse back when I played Battlefield 2. Loved the game, but I sucked at it.

I wish I could like PC gaming. I just was not any good with a keyboard n mouse back when I played Battlefield 2. Loved the game, but I sucked at it.

Use an Xbox or PS4 controller..

Using an Xbox One S or X controller (not the original Xbox One controller) in Windows 10 is actually 100% native these days, and works in almost every current game natively and seamlessly. It runs completely on standard bluetooth, and you don't need an additional wireless adapter. Games will show the Xbox buttons, guide button, etc; as this is part of the Windows Live Experience.

If you prefer the PS4 controller, it too works over standard bluetooth, however, the games will show an XInput interface, so they won't be 100% compatible out of the box -- but this isn't really a big deal, IMHO, it takes no effort to initially setup the buttons if needed or just download a config from the internet.

I also use SteamLink/Gamestream for couch gaming at 4k .. I do this over a pair of MoCa adapter rather than WiFi and it works flawlessly for non-competitive gaming. For those games, I'd prefer to play on my monitor anyway since it's an ultrawide.

Use an Xbox or PS4 controller..

Using an Xbox One S or X controller (not the original Xbox One controller) in Windows 10 is actually 100% native these days, and works in almost every current game natively and seamlessly. It runs completely on standard bluetooth, and you don't need an additional wireless adapter. Games will show the Xbox buttons, guide button, etc; as this is part of the Windows Live Experience.

If you prefer the PS4 controller, it too works over standard bluetooth, however, the games will show an XInput interface, so they won't be 100% compatible out of the box -- but this isn't really a big deal, IMHO, it takes no effort to initially setup the buttons if needed or just download a config from the internet.

I also use SteamLink/Gamestream for couch gaming at 4k .. I do this over a pair of MoCa adapter rather than WiFi and it works flawlessly for non-competitive gaming. For those games, I'd prefer to play on my monitor anyway since it's an ultrawide.

What about that "competitive disadvantage" that would put me against the keyboard n mouse players? Is the gap truly that wide between the two?

On the contrary, growing up a PC gamer and now being primarily console...I have never gotten good with controller. Think I mentioned this in here before. I'm just awful. Even playing Far Cry 5 single player on Xbox One X. The second I go into scope in middle of a battle I'm just shooting all over unable to hit the dumb AI. I'd get wrecked in any online FPS.

Still do game on my PC though, and it'll always be my first love. I generally play CRPGs, RTS, MOBAs (heroes of the storm baby!) on my PC. I still have Divinity 2 to get around to at some point, embarrassing that I haven't played more than a couple hours yet.

What about that "competitive disadvantage" that would put me against the keyboard n mouse players? Is the gap truly that wide between the two?

There is a massive chasm of difference between playing on a controller versus playing on a keyboard and mouse.. You are at an enormous disadvantage with a controller -- and I would never recommend using one for truly competitive gaming.

For casual gaming though, a wireless Xbox One / PS4 controller, while playing on the couch is just fine.

On the contrary, growing up a PC gamer and now being primarily console...I have never gotten good with controller. Think I mentioned this in here before. I'm just awful. Even playing Far Cry 5 single player on Xbox One X. The second I go into scope in middle of a battle I'm just shooting all over unable to hit the dumb AI. I'd get wrecked in any online FPS.

Still do game on my PC though, and it'll always be my first love. I generally play CRPGs, RTS, MOBAs (heroes of the storm baby!) on my PC. I still have Divinity 2 to get around to at some point, embarrassing that I haven't played more than a couple hours yet.

My brother is the exact same way... We never understood it.

Honestly, I was like this for months when I first transitioned to playing fast-paced FPSes on the original Xbox (i.e., Halo)... I just couldn't adjust to playing on a controller rather than keyboard/mouse. It took hours of constant playing, practicing, trial and error to get good.. But I had the luxury of time since I owned a video game store where all we did was play games all day.

There is a massive chasm of difference between playing on a controller versus playing on a keyboard and mouse.. You are at an enormous disadvantage with a controller -- and I would never recommend using one for truly competitive gaming.

For casual gaming though, a wireless Xbox One / PS4 controller, while playing on the couch is just fine.

Yeah, when I play Sea of Thieves, you can really tell that most people are playing on an Xbox because they can't aim for shit.

Does make it frustrating when you actually come across another PC player though because it's always surprising when someone is actually able to hit shots with anything other than the shotgun. :chuckle:

I’m just awful with this technical stuff.

Can you, or anyone else for that matter, recommend a reasonably priced pre built that will give me the most bang for my buck? Or am I better off building one somewhere.
Bumping this post. I’m also curious

Can you, or anyone else for that matter, recommend a reasonably priced pre built that will give me the most bang for my buck? Or am I better off building one somewhere.

I don't know what you mean by "reasonably priced". I'll probably build my next machine, but right now I'm using an MSI rig that I like. Got it at Prostar for a good price. It's not a bad idea to start someplace like that, and then use that as a baseline for cost comparisons elsewhere. There are a ton of available configurations, most of which permit additional customization as well.

https://www.pro-star.com/

My keyboard went bad nine days before the two year warranty expired. I got my RMA number, sent it in, and then got an alternate machine ready to go for the tree or so weeks I figured it would take MSI to fix it. They received it, installed a new keyboard, and shipped it back out on the literally same day. Didn't even have time to miss it.

I've bought rigs from build your own places before, like Alienware (back before they sold to Dell) and ibuypower. I've had good experiences with both. You'll overpay, to be sure, but it's nice to have a guarantee that your rig will arrive tested and in working order, and that you can receive support on the entire PC if need be and not just each individual part.

I've also built my own rigs a couple of times. You can save a good chunk of money that way, but if anything breaks, it's on you to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. I am pretty sure that, every time I built my own PC, I had at least one bad stick of RAM that was causing BSoDs, which meant wasting time identifying which stick was bad and then doing a reformat and reinstall once I'd replaced it. Whether or not that's worth the couple hundred bucks you'll likely save is up to you. To me, it's 50/50, and given that disposable income isn't a huge issue these days, I'd almost rather just pay someone else to build my rig for me.

How much are you looking to spend?

@BMAN

BTW.. you are always better of building one. Guys here can create a build for you, you order the parts, and assemble it.. It's like putting together legos, very hard to fuck up. Back in the days of the PC/AT compatibles, blowing your shit up permanently was a real concern -- these days, you can build a watercooled rig with off-the-shelf components in under an hour no sweat...

Also, again, out of the price you're going to pay, I would consider reserving 50-67% of that, at least, towards the graphics card. So if you're going to pay ~$1,500 for a computer that's specifically designed for gaming, you should be rocking a 1080 Ti (assuming you're not getting price gouged)...

Finished Far Cry 5. Took me about 30 hours, did all the outposts, not even close to all the missions though.

Overall? One of the best open world games I've played. The action and gunplay was top notch as is typical Far Cry style, extremely satisfying which is important to me in an FPS. Everything feels like it has weight to it. The vehicles were fun, and nothing beats wingsuiting around Hope County.

Story wise, it's about what we discussed. Nothing great, throughout. Memorable characters, some really funny stuff. I thought the villains were actually pretty well done, parts were pretty powerful. Ending was shocking, but I see now that it was hinted at throughout the game which I thought was quite clever. Might be my favorite ending to a Far Cry game yet, though that isn't saying much. I see a lot of vitriol for the ending(s) for obvious reasons, though, and I actually totally understand it. Impossible to talk about without spoiling though.

Overall, great game. Perhaps Far Cry 6 will

be a direct sequel? Post apocalyptic Far Cry baby!

All ready for God of War!

Isn't post-apocalyptic Far Cry basically Fallout now that it's just an FPS with dialogue options? :chuckle:

@gourimoko

Finished Far Cry 5. Took me about 30 hours, did all the outposts, not even close to all the missions though.

Overall? One of the best open world games I've played. The action and gunplay was top notch as is typical Far Cry style, extremely satisfying which is important to me in an FPS. Everything feels like it has weight to it. The vehicles were fun, and nothing beats wingsuiting around Hope County.

Story wise, it's about what we discussed. Nothing great, throughout. Memorable characters, some really funny stuff. I thought the villains were actually pretty well done, parts were pretty powerful. Ending was shocking, but I see now that it was hinted at throughout the game which I thought was quite clever. Might be my favorite ending to a Far Cry game yet, though that isn't saying much. I see a lot of vitriol for the ending(s) for obvious reasons, though, and I actually totally understand it. Impossible to talk about without spoiling though.

Overall, great game. Perhaps Far Cry 6 will

be a direct sequel? Post apocalyptic Far Cry baby!

All ready for God of War!

Question for you:

Played a little bit more last night, did some stuff, and got "marked". It was announced that they were trying to capture me. Got caught and a cut scene began and had to escape imprisonment. Can you actually avoid getting captured or is it required to move the story along?[\spoiler]

Question for you:

Played a little bit more last night, did some stuff, and got "marked". It was announced that they were trying to capture me. Got caught and a cut scene began and had to escape imprisonment. Can you actually avoid getting captured or is it required to move the story along?[\spoiler]

Required. And it’s kind of corny how that keeps happening but I just kind of looked past it. In one of the regions though, it’s actually very well explained and leads to one of the stronger story moments. Don’t wanna spoil it.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."