• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Browns Quarterback Position

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You don't get to teach what ain't there.

That's why the league hasn't just found 6'5, 240 pound guys with good arms and taught them how to play QB.

He's not going to learn touch and accuracy and footwork and processing just because of hard work.

How about moxie though?

doesnt the proper amount of moxie raise your completion percentage at least 5%?

I agree that can be a concern.

However, we are talking about the same coaching staff that developed Carson Wentz. He was in the D-1 Wyoming program for 3 years following a JUCO season.

Sure, many players need cleaned up with pro coaching. Basically all of them, really. Many of them, seniors. I'm just stating, I have not seen the uptick with him. He threw the same errant fastball into questionable coverages all three years. He still has the exact same issues.

That said, it doesn't make you wonder if he can improve with professional coaching. Rather, it makes you wonder how much.

He graduate high school at 6’3 180lbs and was the leading scorer of his basketball team and was a pitcher as well on his baseball team. He also worked on his family’s farm and restaurant when he wasn’t playing sports. He really didn’t get coaching until Wyoming honestly at the end of the day. He was physically a late bloomer but always had a strong arm. He was a zero star recruit.

He got injured year one at Wyoming, hence why he was red-shirted. Year two his team was ranked 112 out of 128 eligible teams and yet they won their conference. Wyoming was ranked the worst team in the conference so they were a Cinderella that season honestly no one can deny that.

In 17 he lost guys who went for 2,300 rushing yards and 29 rushing TDs, lost 3 main WRs and his top 2 TEs and his starting center. 90% area of the total offensive production (non-QB referring to) left. His teams defense came back. His offense he ran was a pro style offense were he played under center and was a run first team.

I don’t care who you are or what conference you are in, it’s hard to replace that loss of production especially when you are ranked 100 or more in your recruiting class. He goes 8-3 as a starter and his team went 0-2 and lost to the worst team in D1. What else is he supposed to do or show in that sense?

I am going with my gut and my instincts with guys. Allen will find a way to be a pro NFL QB and a good one at that. He may never be elite but he will be a solid starter and he will beat the odds to do it.

Let's say you are a terrible artist, sportscoach. I lock you in a room for a year and tell you to draw and paint happy little bushes. At the end of that year, are you Picasso? Some things, no matter how hard you work, just may not happen.

Is Picasso really the best example you want to refer to when it comes to painting trees or bushes?

He graduate high school at 6’3 180lbs and was the leading scorer of his basketball team and was a pitcher as well on his baseball team. He also worked on his family’s farm and restaurant when he wasn’t playing sports. He really didn’t get coaching until Wyoming honestly at the end of the day. He was physically a late bloomer but always had a strong arm. He was a zero star recruit.

He got injured year one at Wyoming, hence why he was red-shirted. Year two his team was ranked 112 out of 128 eligible teams and yet they won their conference. Wyoming was ranked the worst team in the conference so they were a Cinderella that season honestly no one can deny that.

In 17 he lost guys who went for 2,300 rushing yards and 29 rushing TDs, lost 3 main WRs and his top 2 TEs and his starting center. 90% area of the total offensive production (non-QB referring to) left. His teams defense came back. His offense he ran was a pro style offense were he played under center and was a run first team.

I don’t care who you are or what conference you are in, it’s hard to replace that loss of production especially when you are ranked 100 or more in your recruiting class. He goes 8-3 as a starter and his team went 0-2 and lost to the worst team in D1. What else is he supposed to do or show in that sense?

I am going with my gut and my instincts with guys. Allen will find a way to be a pro NFL QB and a good one at that. He may never be elite but he will be a solid starter and he will beat the odds to do it.

...and all of that in a shallow QB class might get picked in the top three, even #1 if an elite player at edge rush or offensive tackle isn't also available. As it stands in 2018, he looks like a player who will be drafted #5 - 15 somewhere. There's just a lot of talent in this draft class.

He let it slip early about accuracy being a key issue.. Allen is out

I got the opposite from this. I'm more convinced now than ever that Allen is his guy.
  • In the same statement he said he values accuracy, he said he values a strong arm who can drive the ball, throw the ball in the red zone in tight windows and values a guy who is a winner. Josh Allen ticks every one of those boxes minus accuracy.
    • His arm might be the best in the NFL from the moment he steps on the field.
    • He's really good in the red zone. PFF grades him highest there among all top QBs and he's the only one without an INT.
    • He took Wyoming from 4-8 and 2-10 under Bohl to 8-6 and 8-5 including their first Bowl win in almost a decade.
    • When Allen was out, Wyoming lost both of their games including one to 1-11 San Jose St.
  • The question that threw him off the most by far was the "Friend of Dorsey" question from Mary Kay that said he was taking Josh Allen. He dodged it completely.
  • He specifically called out hand size as being important in Cleveland in winter and then tied lack of hand size back to a previous question about Darnold's fumble issues (unprompted). Darnold measured at 9 3/8, Baker's hands are even smaller at 9 1/4.
  • Dorsey brought up again and again that the guys he wants are: good people, men of character who love the game of football, good in the locker room, loved by teammates and can lead them to victories.
    • Watch him talk about Baker and Rosen near the end.
    • On Baker: "He's a pleasant fellow. Pretty sharp. He's fine. I have no problems with him."
    • On Rosen: "I've had no problem with him. He's very smart. He's very passionate. He's a broad thinker. (He likes football) He's very competitive. I'm fine with him. I thought he was a neat kid."
    • Now... watch this Senior Bowl at the 12:35 mark when Mary Kay mentions Josh Allen View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JzcuEgA1a0 He volunteers that he's a nice kid out of literally nowhere. And look at the smirk on his face.
I don't know. Dorsey is a bad liar, admits he's a bad liar and I'm inclined to believe him. I really do think it's Allen. I think the Allen stuff is coming from people he spoke to before he "went dark".

Last edited:
I got the opposite from this. I'm more convinced now than ever that Allen is his guy.
  • In the same statement he said he values accuracy, he said he values a strong arm who can drive the ball, throw the ball in the red zone in tight windows and values a guy who is a winner. Josh Allen ticks every one of those boxes minus accuracy.

It literally checks one box.

He does not do well consistently in tight windows, he does not win, he does not have accuracy.

Good...lord...

He does not do well consistently in tight windows, he does not win, he does not have accuracy.

Good...lord...
Oh Arizona what have you done

You’ve opened the door wide open for Sportscoach to remind us, yet again, that without Josh Allen Wyoming lost to San Jose State...

We’ve went a good few weeks without that ace in the hole being presented

So wait, are we taking Jevon Carter #1?

Reactions: AZ_

Good...lord...

He does not win? So 16-9 as a starter isn’t winning then I don’t know what is winning. No offense but saying he doesn’t win is complete and utter rubbish and no one here can deny that one. Saying he doesn’t have the best arm talent is understandable since we all know he doesn’t, but saying he doesn’t win is so dead wrong since even with a good coach at Wyoming they weren’t winning until Allen took the ball into his hands.

Good...lord...

He was referring to red zone tight windows which again, PFF that you love to cite against Allen, ranks him top among all the draft's QBs. Wyoming would be a near-winless dumpster fire without Allen. And I literally said "minus accuracy".

Good...lord...

He was referring to red zone tight windows which again, PFF that you love to cite against Allen, ranks him top among all the draft's QBs. Wyoming would be a near-winless dumpster fire without Allen. And I literally said "minus accuracy".

Good...lord...

If that's what he was referring to, he needs to look again.

Allen was sub 50% in the Red Zone and only had 33 attempts because he was so God-forsakenly inefficient that his team couldn't often GET to the red zone.

DY7SHlnXUAIFoPz.jpg:large

If that's what he was referring to, he needs to look again.

Allen was sub 50% in the Red Zone and only had 33 attempts because he was so God-forsakenly inefficient that his team couldn't often GET to the red zone.

DY7SHlnXUAIFoPz.jpg:large

Rosen sucks in the red zone. He doesn't need the NFL.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."