• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

How do you cook it?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I smoked some ribs this past weekend for Mother's Day. My dad bought me a smoker as a housewarming present last year, so I've been using it a ton. I'm always tweaking rubs and recipes, I've got it down pretty pat now. Personally, I like really tender ribs versus the ribs that hold onto the bone a little more, so I tend to wrap mine in foil a little longer than normal.

About an hour onto the smoker:
X3QlNLTMtw8gJyrk6wl39bBw7bk8t0jLGPUPf6lwS4IaZ7XMTYbS1WkDR-Kff12yz_FZ6Qcr4TY2rp0mu9nMfA2-e0D-qvoZHX_wk1dmKvGPCR6zMhlowW7mLeDOHJDHiTC7t30TUB6L1W1q1eIRaITnMmwQNCLOaBKbvno-xAljORtQeNcb5lXd2LwKG9qVbIx5Dp0ehbRIZQGjYn5whRqcnBPTQAqna2DZpZ6Bhdlgi0PtI693HyPpmZuGePn2rPIVdNoonl_H93khWbgE8EBOIh6QthxHdb7stSC2YCTBahv9s-bd2iA5hJPg1FulunmhxOzUyczMy1GsmVB8GQMirZxB3TIiTU5x8qAFZ8JXHV5azBA1OYpdN4P53cUyHcIxyGO8j9PT6wQNdGQB60Nqo41ink6F91ta_ztYqsXfsoR8GkSOGn5ePypfOsdRG9W5uV5Ni148dUXMrVqEv6p9qVBJE0bmHecv3MWkGkJk6b3cpm10mKeTEEL6oXNy9Xy29S1-_MR_aBfBeMUct42V1T973FpIOLcUy4Ff0wb9ns9B86mMGw2A10vkGZKq2DusqkkVAGEHufPwNv4sQR95K4iDVkkS5sw8TmU=w708-h944-no

Ready to eat:
HiafeFSk28il2hrwlCqxKt-BQs8CEn1MU8TQC4FYJ09HhPyDuFH8VkTRHXXSDbUcBNLLRkYjRE7Ekpj-bzK2MeLMdTY1VDOTKFW32Xg8dUy-tfsX8vuz77ADEuGvAq2lfFc20OHFkdFqwtmCytsKGh8vZZmcdnP_i5Xu6XckY6QNLL_9pAY29tekN79wmfvD-enKr9WszNXRDOYFmav7feA1AXshgU2_Cpdoddfw7-iK8Ag7LIRf0YtRGCj8B0pM3mJshDRxvZme0RJMRCJyuGij9gVzUJFrTycqmwM8PfHgGJpdhP3vnzBQSgtpQVc6QAOSkm9b3pVJuxZk5IoxmxCAvHIYNBg9vMpxVQmlRFzZzW39XU_TiaiR1V5n9cUhU_tNbVAFLOZxFdcbTGzFyVs8btIk7fCGSuMhMX2u0oURGGcethQ3D9ewEOYxmRC37QODupafeqoQnzuHGn-3YUA1Pz3PfJPHKTwnpohFHLjM-hibQXY26MWb4fMw7DLGk5ywjZARpSO9DSljwsBussqJlTJFgwzKYNmOuG8T4z20qYEEPXkpimJjMIyKqscf2Rt9R2b7ubNaJw9qkOue7h7PODIqFs2S7ydjAmo=w1259-h944-no

Looks incredible. What kind of smoker do you use? I've thought about springing for a cheap electric one, but I know most experienced smokers out there say to go for a "real" one.

How bad was the learning curve for you? I'm concerned I'll fuck up at keeping the temperature consistent, knowing when to add more wood/coal, etc... I'm a pretty decent cook/griller otherwise, but there just seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.

Looks incredible. What kind of smoker do you use? I've thought about springing for a cheap electric one, but I know most experienced smokers out there say to go for a "real" one.

How bad was the learning curve for you? I'm concerned I'll fuck up at keeping the temperature consistent, knowing when to add more wood/coal, etc... I'm a pretty decent cook/griller otherwise, but there just seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there.

I actually have a Traeger, which is a wood pellet smoker. The great thing about pellet smokers is they all have a digital controller. So you just fill the hopper with whatever type of wood pellet you want, and set a temperature and it keeps it at that temperature the whole time. I still periodically check the temperature, but it's usually within 15-20 degrees either way of 225 which is fine. They aren't cheap, but there are some slightly cheaper wood pellet grill options out there. I just didn't have the time to be fiddling with coal and wood all day, so this gets me the same product without having to spend most of my day watching the smoker.

I actually have a Traeger, which is a wood pellet smoker. The great thing about pellet smokers is they all have a digital controller. So you just fill the hopper with whatever type of wood pellet you want, and set a temperature and it keeps it at that temperature the whole time. I still periodically check the temperature, but it's usually within 15-20 degrees either way of 225 which is fine. They aren't cheap, but there are some slightly cheaper wood pellet grill options out there. I just didn't have the time to be fiddling with coal and wood all day, so this gets me the same product without having to spend most of my day watching the smoker.

One of the main drawbacks to renting is that I can't have my own things like grills and smokers. Would love to have one but it's not allowed, and I'm on the first floor so a grill on my patio would be noticed immediately. We have community grills, which is nice, but man I could do work with a smoker.

One of the main drawbacks to renting is that I can't have my own things like grills and smokers. Would love to have one but it's not allowed, and I'm on the first floor so a grill on my patio would be noticed immediately. We have community grills, which is nice, but man I could do work with a smoker.

They won't let you use something like a 30" Masterbuilt Smoker? It's electric and produces minimal smoke compared to a traditional drum or offset smoker.

They won't let you use something like a 30" Masterbuilt Smoker? It's electric and produces minimal smoke compared to a traditional drum or offset smoker.

I mean I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure any grill or similar device is not allowed here. Keep in mind this is a legit apartment complex with hundreds of units and not like a condo where I have a back yard or something. I do technically have a backyard, but it's a courtyard that is shared by several other apartments via first floor patios like mine and accessible by anyone who lives here.

Those bitches are expensive! Good for you grabbing one, but for those of you on a budget, you can smoke on a good old Weber very easily. You put a few charcoal briquettes on two sides in the smoking baskets - like ten on each side - and put some soaked wood chips on top of the coals every hour. If you aren't home, it won't work. But if you are busy doing other things and can make it outside once an hour, a Weber can serve you just fine on a smaller smoking project.

Those bitches are expensive! Good for you grabbing one, but for those of you on a budget, you can smoke on a good old Weber very easily. You put a few charcoal briquettes on two sides in the smoking baskets - like ten on each side - and put some soaked wood chips on top of the coals every hour. If you aren't home, it won't work. But if you are busy doing other things and can make it outside once an hour, a Weber can serve you just fine on a smaller smoking project.

Yeah they definitely aren't cheap, I would have never gotten one for myself if I had to spend that kind of money. Before we bought our house, I used the Weber kettle with the basket. It's a great route to go for those on a budget, two things I'd suggest with that though are an ambient probe with a wireless monitor, so you can monitor the temps without going outside and opening it. You can set temperature ranges so it alerts you when it's out of range, which still lets you do stuff around the house without having to worry much about it. Secondly would be a grill grate with a hinged side that flips up, so you can add more coals without having to lift up the whole grate.

Ok...going camping next weekend.

What are some good meals to make that can be done in an iron skillet or a dutch oven?

Speaking of, is a dutch oven like this ok to use over the campfire?
1815e0fdfee48a38ad7b2b64dd3939ed.jpg

I'm not looking for anything to complicated. The ingredients need to keep in a cooler of course.

Ok...going camping next weekend.

What are some good meals to make that can be done in an iron skillet or a dutch oven?

Speaking of, is a dutch oven like this ok to use over the campfire?
1815e0fdfee48a38ad7b2b64dd3939ed.jpg

I'm not looking for anything to complicated. The ingredients need to keep in a cooler of course.

If you're using an enamel coated dutch oven over an open fire, you do run the risk of hurting the enamel. But if the fire isn't too hot, you should be ok. Personally, I wouldn't try it with an expensive dutch oven, but if you bought a cheap Walmart one then it's not that big of a loss if something does happen. They also sell plain cast iron dutch ovens with feet on them, and a handle for hanging over a fire. That may be more what you're looking for.

Got a Big Green Egg that was installed this week.

Anyone ever use it? Have some chicken thighs to fire up this weekend, likely doing some hickory charcoal with cherry wood and a light BBQ rub.

If you're using an enamel coated dutch oven over an open fire, you do run the risk of hurting the enamel. But if the fire isn't too hot, you should be ok. Personally, I wouldn't try it with an expensive dutch oven, but if you bought a cheap Walmart one then it's not that big of a loss if something does happen. They also sell plain cast iron dutch ovens with feet on them, and a handle for hanging over a fire. That may be more what you're looking for.

Grabbed one from Walmart for less than $20...5 QT, preseasoned. Now I need to make something in it.

Got a Big Green Egg that was installed this week.

Anyone ever use it? Have some chicken thighs to fire up this weekend, likely doing some hickory charcoal with cherry wood and a light BBQ rub.

Yep.. They are fucking fantastic... Hands down the best kamado on the market, bar none.

Reactions: AZ_
Grabbed one from Walmart for less than $20...5 QT, preseasoned. Now I need to make something in it.

If you are camping, I suggest meals that consist mostly of canned goods, that means you have more room in your cooler.

Chili with canned beans chilis, and tomatoes - all you need is ground meat in the cooler.

Canned sauerkraut, potatoes, and apple. All you need in the cooler is smoked sausage.

Canned baked beans, all you need is country pork ribs in the cooler.

Stuff like that is great camping.

Also if anyone is looking to learn more about smoking meats, techniques, etc. I highly suggest checking out https://amazingribs.com . It's an unbelievable resource, the guy (aptly named Meathead) goes into the science behind stuff, why some flavors work better with different meats, techniques, recipes, etc. I've started using his Memphis Dust rub on my ribs, and they are amazing. He gives you the recipes to make all the rubs at home, so you don't have to buy any yourself. Most use pretty standard spices that you'd have at home. I've also used his technique on smoking short ribs and pork shoulders, and they came out great.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."