• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Your 2018 Cleveland Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Yandy Diaz is doing a great job like usual of getting on base. With some time in the ML the guy would be a great 2 hole hitter and you can hope he finds some power as he gets older. Why hasn't he been brought up to play 3B and put Kipnis on the bench by moving Ramirez to 2b??

To my knowledge we even improve our defense with this move. What are we waiting for??

Diaz has always been a fringy player to me.

This team is better when Kipnis is playing well. And they’re not under a great deal of pressure to make that move.

Yandy Diaz is doing a great job like usual of getting on base. With some time in the ML the guy would be a great 2 hole hitter and you can hope he finds some power as he gets older. Why hasn't he been brought up to play 3B and put Kipnis on the bench by moving Ramirez to 2b??

To my knowledge we even improve our defense with this move. What are we waiting for??

Diaz still hasn't made any adjustments to his swing and hits for absolutely no power, like not even doubles. He'll be 27 this summer, so hoping he improves "as he gets older" isn't a good bet.

Despite a favorable .336 BABIP last year in Cleveland, he still maintained just a 86 wRC+ pegging him as 14% below league average as a hitter. Until he changes his swing plane, I just down see him having a ton of success at the major league level.

His career GB% is nearly 60%, and is at 58.4% this year.

Lance McCullers leads the majors by inducing groundballs 57.6% of the time. Yandy Diaz literally hits more groundballs than the most groundball heavy pitcher induces.

Ok, with the first full month in the books, I'm taking a look at some numbers.

Things that concern me:

1. Clevinger isn't missing bats at nearly the rate he did last year.

His K/9 has plummeted from 10.13 to 6.81. Opposing batters are making contact 86.4% of the time when they swing at a Clevinger pitch in the strike zone compared to just 80.6% last year. However, he's walking far less guys, so if he can regain his swing and miss stuff, he could really be something special.

2. Michael Brantley's contact rate.

This one is more intrigue than concern, because in recent years, nobody has come close to putting the ball in play as much as Brantley has so far this year. He is currently walking just 3.2% of the time, and striking out just 5.3% of the time. Both rates are less than half of what they were last year. Closest comp over the last 10 years is Juan Pierre and even he walked 5.7% of the time, and struck out 6.3% of the time. Will be interesting to see what kind of rates he sustains over the course of the season because the current numbers seem unsustainable.

3. Edwin Encarnacion's walk rate

It has dropped from 15.5% last year to just 7% this year. Even during last season's early struggles he was walking a ton. Big power and a big OBP% have been Edwin's primary source of value, and if he's no longer a high OBP% guy, his value takes a big hit. His K% i also up this year from 19.9% to 28.1%. That's to be expected during early season struggles, but the walk rate has me worried.

4. High BABIP guys

Naquin, Zimmer, and E-Gon. Their BABIPs are .419, .365, and .563 which are completely unsustainable. You can hope that like Austin Jackson last year, they can keep it up for a season, but the more likely scenario is they come crashing down. This is especially concerning for Zimmer, because he's already hitting rather poorly. I have confidence in each of these guys long-term, but adjustments need to be made for continued success.

Things that don't concern me:

1. Yonder Alonso and Brandon Guyer

Both guys have unsustainably low BABIPs, so does Edwin for what it's worth, and seem likely to rebounds and be productive hitters on this team. Alonso has already done that to an extent simply due to his power, but I anticipate both guys being positive contributors in the lineup.

2. Carlos Carrasco

Yes, his K-rate is down, but he's still missing just as many bats as ever. The problem right now is pitch sequencing. He's just not stringing things together are the right time. The one thing that stands out to me is that he's pitching inside the strike zone more often this year, up to 51.7% from 47.6%. This seems like something that he and Gomes/Perez need to get together and figure out, and it seems likely that they will. In the meantime, he's still been decent, but we all know he's better than decent.

Things I'm excited about:

1. Jose Ramirez

His walks are way up, his strikeouts are down, he's matching last year's production, and his BABIP is still 66 points lower than it was last year at .253

His performance has been great, and the numbers say it's only going to get better.

2. Trevor Bauer

Yes, he has been the beneficiary of a lower BABIP and HR/FB ratio than ever before in his career, but he's also inducing more swinging strikes than ever before, and it's by a fairly significant amount. 9.2% last year to 12.1% this year. I'm excited to see what kind of season he can put together.

UPDATE

Concerns
1. Clevinger has started missing bats again while maintaining a lower BB rate. Time to get excited, folks.
2. Brantley has started creeping back toward his regular contact rates. He's a stud, plain and simple.
3. Encarnacion has walked slightly more this past month, but he's still not sniffing his normal rates. He has, however, put together a better May than he typically does, and June is usually when he heats up. Something to keep an eye on.
4. Good news, the high BABIP guys have not come back down to Earth yet. Zimmer is hurt and Naquin/E-Gon are both in the .440's, and are still striking out in more than 25% of their plate appearances.

Lack of concern
1. Guyer's struggles have continued, and he's now on the DL. Alonso is still hovering around league average as a run creator, and I think he's due for a hot streak.
2. Carrasco has given us nearly 8 innings/start since I made this post, including a 14 K gem. He's still good.

Excitement
1. Jose is having a career year, and his BABIP is still 52 points lower than last year, and 65 points lower than the previous year. He's a legitimate superstar and MVP candidate.
2. Bauer leads our pitchers in fWAR as he has maintained a career low HR/FB% while creating more swings and misses than ever before in his career. If he keeps this up, Corey Kluber might not be the only Cy Young on our staff.

There are currently 23 pitchers with sub-3 ERAs in the majors right now; we have 3 of them.

Doesn’t matter much but still kind of wild.

Reactions: AMC
There are currently 23 pitchers with sub-3 ERAs in the majors right now; we have 3 of them.

Doesn’t matter much but still kind of wild.

Oh, it matters.

Our rotation is as good as ever.

Just need them to be healthy if we get to October, and hope the hitting clicks at the right time and we will be as dangerous as anyone. Third time's a charm?

After the Astro’s game today, 23 of the next 25 are against our crap division. This is where we need to get people going (Bullpen) and hopefully, get some injuries back and in the game. Need to start distancing ourselves from the rest of the shit that is the AL Central.

Some other reliever targets that haven't been mentioned:

Craig Stammen, RHP, San Diego
-Indians signed him to a minor league deal in 2016, never made it up to the Indians. Has pitched pretty well for San Diego last year and has been pretty great this year. He is owed $2.25m this year and next. If the Indians were to make a trade for Hand, Stammen would be a nice bonus add

Mychal Givens, RHP, Baltimore
-A much more expensive option than others as Givens is 28 and is entering arbitration for the first time this offseason. Givens would fill in the Shaw role perfectly and give the bullpen stability in the coming years. I doubt Baltimore wants to let him go, but who knows what is going on with that organization.

Hunter Strickland, RHP, SF Giants
-Giants closer this year, probably not available with 3 more years of arbitration. 3 going on 4 years of solid production

The prospect of a Brantley, Allen, Zimmer outfield next year is intriguing.

Very much potential both offensively and defensively.

Supplementing that with a RH bat would be nice as well.

The prospect of a Brantley, Allen, Zimmer outfield next year is intriguing.

Very much potential both offensively and defensively.

Supplementing that with a RH bat would be nice as well.

Can we re sign Brant?

Can we re sign Brant?

Doubt it. Though he’s awfully under valued because of his lack of defense.

Maybe teams don’t see him as an OF anymore to drive down his value.

I was under the impression that the Indians only had Carrasco through 2019. But articles from his signing back in April 2015 report there is another club option for 2020, which Spotrac indicates is for $9.5m

Did that 2020 option did nixed or something or do the Indians have him for the 2020 season?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."