• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Browns Quarterback Position

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Trying to think of a time the offensive portion of the roster was lauded like that by a national guy and I can’t really think of anything.

It has a pretty fair amount of question marks (offensive tackle, Gordon’s stability, Coleman’s crucial year 3, Njoku being ready to take on a full load as a starter and effectuate his potential) but it has a fair amount of potential to be very productive too if all or most things align.

For Mayfield, the presence of a solid veteran quarterback should allow him to ease into the QB1 role when he's ready. He will not only get a chance to acclimate to the speed of the pro game by running the scout team against the Browns' No. 1 defense, but he will have the opportunity to watch a veteran with a similar set of skills direct an offense that's been designed with the former Heisman Trophy winner in mind. If Mayfield's locked in and paying attention from the sidelines, he can get enough mental reps to help him play faster and more decisive when he eventually gets his chance.

Remember, the Browns have failed to effectively develop a young quarterback since the franchise's return to Cleveland because they've rushed QB1s onto the field and haven't surrounded them with strong supporting casts.

With Taylor reportedly seizing the QB1 job during offseason workouts, the Browns could finally take their time developing their future quarterback while winning games with an upgraded roster that looks ready to compete in the AFC North.

Well yeah this is the ideal scenario.

The thing that makes me uncomfortable is the lack of a left tackle. I mean the rest of the o-line isn't bad, but man they really need to get something to put a band aid over that.

But there's no hurry here. You have to lay the foundation, create a culture and let this thing settle a bit.

The Jets? Yeah they can do whatever they want. They're not -that- far removed from relevancy. The Bills just made the playoffs. Cardinals? Same story.

Let Tyrod play for a year or two.

Bucky Brooks has an opinion on this also.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...defensive-triplets-jameis-winston-on-thin-ice

2) Gap between Cleveland QBs allows Baker Mayfield to actually develop.

When the reports coming out of Cleveland this week suggested that Baker Mayfield "didn't look ready to compete" with Tyrod Taylor for the Browns' QB1 job, I wasn't too surprised.

The No. 1 overall pick and Heisman Trophy winner not only needs time to adjust to the pro game, but he is battling an underrated veteran quarterback who is a much better player than the football world acknowledges. Since 2015, Taylor has posted a 51:16 touchdown-to-interception ratio (third-best in the NFL during that span, behind only Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers) and a 92.5 passer rating. Not to mention, he also has 1,575 rushing yards and 14 rushing scores in that time period, which ranks only behind former NFL MVP Cam Newton.

Owning a 22-20 career record and a playoff appearance as a starter, Taylor is a proven commodity at the position. With that in mind, I don't think many Browns veterans are surprised by Taylor's offseason performance.

"It kind of shows what a vet quarterback is," Duke Johnson told reporters last week at Browns' minicamp, via Cleveland.com. "The way he handles the huddle, the way he anticipates throws, the way his knowledge is for the game. It just shows. I think the only other quarterback I've had like that since I've been here is probably Josh McCown, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely, Josh was another kind of vet quarterback that did everything that vet quarterbacks do. Tyrod is definitely a guy that we have a lot of trust in and we believe that he's always going to put the ball in the right places, as long as we protect him and keep him off the ground and keep him on his feet, we'll be alright."

To that point, we should see an even better version of Taylor with the Browns, based on his outstanding supporting cast. No. 5 is surrounded by one of the best receiving corps in football, with a pair of Pro Bowl-caliber playmakers in Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry anchoring an aerial attack that's loaded with size, athleticism and explosiveness. With Johnson and Carlos Hyde adding some sizzle as runner/receivers out of the backfield, Taylor can push the ball down the field with vertical tosses, or work sideline to sideline on "dink and dunk" throws to speedy pass catchers on the move on quicks and crossers. Considering the challenge defensive coordinators face defending every blade of grass between the white lines, Taylor could be more efficient and effective as a passer.

"This is his fourth year starting in the NFL. He's just coming into his own and this is just the tip of the iceberg," quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese said at minicamp, via Cleveland.com. "We haven't seen the best from him."

For Mayfield, the presence of a solid veteran quarterback should allow him to ease into the QB1 role when he's ready. He will not only get a chance to acclimate to the speed of the pro game by running the scout team against the Browns' No. 1 defense, but he will have the opportunity to watch a veteran with a similar set of skills direct an offense that's been designed with the former Heisman Trophy winner in mind. If Mayfield's locked in and paying attention from the sidelines, he can get enough mental reps to help him play faster and more decisive when he eventually gets his chance.

Remember, the Browns have failed to effectively develop a young quarterback since the franchise's return to Cleveland because they've rushed QB1s onto the field and haven't surrounded them with strong supporting casts.

With Taylor reportedly seizing the QB1 job during offseason workouts, the Browns could finally take their time developing their future quarterback while winning games with an upgraded roster that looks ready to compete in the AFC North.

Taylor is going to have a Pro-Bowl year. And again next year. :)

Then what if Mayfield also progresses as expected?

The best QB dilemma to have.

Impressive thing about that clip is Mayfield's demeanor. He never lost his cool or looked the slightest bit rattled. He maintained that same relaxed, totally in-control attitude he shows everywhere else. That's a fantastic leadership trait.

I preferred Darnold, and maybe Darnold will end up the better QB. But it's okay even if Mayfield doesn't turn out to be the absolute best QB out of this class. As long as he's a high-quality franchise guy, I can live with some other guy being slightly better.

Strangely, both the Cavs and Browns ended up drafting guys who might not be what everyone preferred, but damned if both of them aren't incredibly likable. Both guys have insane work ethics and a drive to succeed that you can't help but root for.

I mean, I'll talk myself into just about anyone a Cleveland team drafts, but damned if I don't have a soft spot for guys like Sexton and Mayfield who just seem like they want to destroy everyone who ever said anything bad about them.

Tyrod is captain check down.

My man wouldn’t even LOOK down the field on some of those plays yesterday until the last drive.

Terms are as follows.

If Tyrod Taylor is unable to make a start at any point in the 2018 season, Baker Mayfield will start over Drew Stanton if he’s healthy.

Starting is the key here. If Taylor gets hurt on snap 1 of game 1 and they go to Stanton, that isn’t a start.

Also if Mayfield gets injured in mop up duty or practice and is listed as OUT on the injury report, that voids the terms.

$50 to RCF?

@Triplethreat - pay whenever you're ready my dude.

Heh. That tweet aged well.

I still don't know why Darnold got the reputation for being the most pro-ready QB in the draft. I feel like he had the most development to do of the top three QBs, with Rosen and Mayfield being much more pro-ready.

I really was surprised they gave Darnold the opening night start too, especially since McCown was pretty solid for them last year.

I still don't know why Darnold got the reputation for being the most pro-ready QB in the draft. I feel like he had the most development to do of the top three QBs, with Rosen and Mayfield being much more pro-ready.

I really was surprised they gave Darnold the opening night start too, especially since McCown was pretty solid for them last year.

If I recall the primary reason why I, and others, wanted to draft Rosen was because he was supposedly the one most pro-ready (I was wrong).

And even Mayfield's detractors acknowledged that despite the system he played in he had a lot more experience due to playing so many more games than Darnold.

If I recall the primary reason why I, and others, wanted to draft Rosen was because he was supposedly the one most pro-ready (I was wrong).

I still think Rosen was pro-ready. Hard to take much away from the brief time he played last Sunday, especially when you consider their line sucks, their coaching has been godwaful (can't even figure out how to use David Johnson), and there's not really much talent at receiver. It's 75-year-old Fitzgerald and a bunch of unproven young guys.

I still think Rosen was pro-ready. Hard to take much away from the brief time he played last Sunday, especially when you consider their line sucks, their coaching has been godwaful (can't even figure out how to use David Johnson), and there's not really much talent at receiver. It's 75-year-old Fitzgerald and a bunch of unproven young guys.

I meant Baker not as being ready as Rosen, rather than Rosen not being ready.

As you say we don't know yet about Rosen.

In the same boat as you.

Also, I'm definitely eating crow on my Mayfield takes.

Damn, if NorthCoast is starting to turn heel that means it's just b00bie still holding out.

In all seriousness, as someone whose night was practically ruined when Mayfield was drafted, I have to say I'm feeling pretty positive about it at this point. Will be very interesting to see how we all feel in December.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."