• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Preseason Week 1: Browns @ Giants

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Its KC fu***** Roback..... Going 1980s under siege throwbacks..

In Josh's defense; the defender didn't notice that Josh was running backwards to throw a 70 yard bullet. The play needed 16 seconds to develop.

That's not all on Allen:eek7:

100% this. The 35th pick in the NFL draft is way too valuable to use on a RB who’s like 99% of all backs: if there’s a hole, he can make a decent gain on average (hits the eight hole most of the time, etc.). If he gets out in space, he can make decent plays.

In today’s game, there’s a statistical argument (i.e., based on how much a RB contributes to winning in today’s game, career length expectancy, and available supply of substitutes) that the 35th pick is too high for just about any RB. A team can get the value it gets out of guy like Chubb at the 50th, 100th, 150th, hell even undrafted free agent spot.

Unless a RB has extraordinary ability around the goal line, better than just about everyone ability in open space, or can catch while making the right reads to get open and pass protect at an elite level, he’s a dime a dozen whose uselefulness has a short lifespan.
The odds that Chubb contributes more to this team winning games than Nick Chubb over their careers is somewhat small.

Listen, there is a reason New England consistently has great offenses and recycles runningbacks. They just are not a super important position.

A runningback who can play as a receiver and block has value. I.E., a guy like Duke Johnson can contribute to winning. We drafted him in the third round. But the problem is that Chubb has not shown talent in the receiving game and is, at best, an above-average blocker.

As far as traditional runningbacks go, Nick Chubb will be a good player, but he was still a reach where we took him. Especially with the holes on the defensive and offensive lines.

I of course was happy how the first team offense looked. But is it common to go no huddle on the 2nd drive of the preseason? Maybe it is, but seemed a little exotic for preseason game #1

I of course was happy how the first team offense looked. But is it common to go no huddle on the 2nd drive of the preseason? Maybe it is, but seemed a little exotic for preseason game #1
They were saying after the game that the Browns planned on going no-huddle during the second drive. My guess is that it is a big part of the offense this season.

They were saying after the game that the Browns planned on going no-huddle during the second drive. My guess is that it is a big part of the offense this season.
I guess my concern is more that the 1s performance was inflated a little by going no huddle against a team who didn’t bother to prep for it

Finally had a chance to watch all the snaps and the all-22 film.....

The velocity with which Baker throws a ball on the move is insane. I wish football had the equivalent of trackman.....just to see the data on those throws.....release, trajectory, time in air, velocity...etc.

Velocity withstanding, the thing that really stood out was ball placement. He threw some absolute dimes on completions....his misses were almost always in the right spot and he showed really nice pocket awareness. It's incredibly encouraging to see how comfortable he looked throwing in to tight spots.

I guess my concern is more that the 1s performance was inflated a little by going no huddle against a team who didn’t bother to prep for it

Could be, but if Tyrod was only going to play two series, he needed to experience both. The intentions weren't just to surprise the opponent, the intent was to prepare a veteran QB who hasn't played in Haley's system before.

Could be, but if Tyrod was only going to play two series, he needed to experience both. The intentions weren't just to surprise the opponent, the intent was to prepare a veteran QB who hasn't played in Haley's system before.

@col63onel

I don’t get the gripe here. We need to practice against real opponents what will utilize in a game. It’s hard enough to get everyone lined up and get the pre-snap reads coordinated, or at least it has been for the Browns. The 2nd drive, on the road with the crowd still kind of amped, is a great time to implement the weapon of no-huddle. When we put up 6, no matter what preseason game, there’s no complaints from me.

@col63onel

I don’t get the gripe here. We need to practice against real opponents what will utilize in a game. It’s hard enough to get everyone lined up and get the pre-snap reads coordinated, or at least it has been for the Browns. The 2nd drive, on the road with the crowd still kind of amped, is a great time to implement the weapon of no-huddle. When we put up 6, no matter what preseason game, there’s no complaints from me.
I am not saying it was a bad plan. Just that the performance might have been artificially inflated by the fact that the Giants probably didn't prepare for a no huddle, when in the regular season, teams will be more prepared for it.

No huddle helps our particular offense with Tyrod. Short quick throws, moving the chains, can take the edge off the DLine, give you more time in the pocket. We have a platoon of receivers this year, when you include Johnson. I think it's a good move.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."