• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Trade Deadline

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Something to imagine about:

25 Man Roster in Postseason

Lindor SS
Jose 2B
Alonso 1B/DH
EE 1B/DH
Donaldson 3B
Brantley OF
Cutch OF
Kipnis OF
Guyer OF
E-Gon UIF
Allen OF
Gomes C
Perez C

Kluber
Bauer
Cookie
Clevinger
Bieber
Miller
Allen
Hand
Cimber
Perez
Ramirez
Otero/Olson

Umm no

He has to pass through the entire NL first....

You're right. I thought for some reason since the Indians are number one, they were in prime position to get him. Guess not.

• When a player is on waivers, other teams can submit a claim. If more than one team does, those in the same league as that player's team get first priority, starting with the club with the worst record on the day of the claim. Then, the priority moves to the other league, starting with the worst record. For example, if a National League team puts a player on waivers, the NL team with the worst record gets the first shot at him, and the last-place American League club would be right behind the top NL club.

I have wondered about that. Why wouldn't one of the NL playoff teams claim Cutch? Surely one of them could use him?

I also wondered how the Astros got Verlander last year. You're telling me no other AL playoff team could have used him?

I just don't really understand the waiver trade process well enough I guess.

Indians are number one in the waiver wire. He will.

Not true. From MLB:

When a player is on waivers, other teams can submit a claim. If more than one team does, those in the same league as that player's team get first priority, starting with the club with the worst record on the day of the claim. Then, the priority moves to the other league, starting with the worst record. For example, if a National League team puts a player on waivers, the NL team with the worst record gets the first shot at him, and the last-place American League club would be right behind the top NL club.

I have wondered about that. Why wouldn't one of the NL playoff teams claim Cutch? Surely one of them could use him?

I also wondered how the Astros got Verlander last year. You're telling me no other AL playoff team could have used him?

I just don't really understand the waiver trade process well enough I guess.

Verlander was having a shitty season, up until August of that year where he started to turn it around. He had 2 yrs $56m left on his deal, plus whatever he was still owed in 2017. I assume most teams thought the money aspect of it would have made it difficult to make a trade. In hindsight, getting an ace caliber pitcher on a short term deal like that, even if they had to eat all the money, would have been perfect for any large market team.

Verlander was having a shitty season, up until August of that year where he started to turn it around. He had 2 yrs $56m left on his deal, plus whatever he was still owed in 2017. I assume most teams thought the money aspect of it would have made it difficult to make a trade. In hindsight, getting an ace caliber pitcher on a short term deal like that, even if they had to eat all the money, would have been perfect for any large market team.
Ahh, that makes sense.

Cutch is a free agent after this year, though. Sooo why wouldn't a NL playoff contending team pick him up? There's gotta be someone other than us that could use him.

Nationals need to sell. They have to right? They lost 12-1 to Miami today.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Cutch is a free agent after this year, though. Sooo why wouldn't a NL playoff contending team pick him up? There's gotta be someone other than us that could use him.

I don’t think the Giants have officially put him on waivers yet. And if they do, whoever the first team to claim him would block any other team from making a trade. Then that team would have to work out a trade with the Giants.

The Giants typically aren’t a team that sells and they are definitely capable to re-signing Cutch next year if they’d like him. Trading him would likely kill those chances. And while he’d be a nice upgrade here, McCutchen is not quite the player he used to be. The return for him on the verge on UFA may not be much. Then again, he’d be one of the better OF options available.

I believe most of the players traded this time of year clear waivers to be traded to any team. More of a gentlemen's agreement type thing. If you're claimed you have to work out a deal within 24-48 hours I believe or else the waiving team will typically pull the player back not allowing him to be traded until the next season. Whereas if you clear waivers it allows teams to negotiate until the waiver deadline.

I still don't understand the Donaldson move, but I'll take Cutch.

The question is what is the price of donaldson? I mean if we can acquire him for nothing like we did bruce, then it may not be a bad move at the end of the day since he is a monster when healthy. McCutchen would help replace Chisenhall, Naquin etc so this would help make the team deeper. I know that sounds strange, but if we get donaldson for next to nothing, I don't think bringing him in will hurt this team in the short run or long run in all honesty. McCutchen then can help this team for the playoff run and maybe into the playoffs as well. We are keeping 14 position players more than likely for at least the first round if not the entire playoffs. I think we will be alright getting both especially since we can carry a bunch of people in September.

Am i Wrong for saying we may be making multiple trades this August? I have a hunch with Ramirez coming back down to earth we may also be trading for another veteran bullpen arm if the price is right?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."