• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Week 1 2018 |Browns vs. Steelers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Also, shout out to my boy Nick Chubb. That run was sweet. Stiff armed the shit out of Haden.

I took my brother to his first ever Browns game today. Finally just got settled down at home. probably the best Browns game I've ever been to.

I know it's been said a lot lately but this really feels different. Myles Garrett and Denzel ward looked like All Pro's today. A lot of shit to get into but honestly those two guys looked like the two best players on the field today. Myles had one of the most dominant games I've ever seen today. Literally looked unblockable and was being held the whole game.

Also shoutout to the Browns fans. Man we showed up and showed out today big time. You know how I know that this feels different? Today was the least amount of terrible towels I've ever seen at our stadium. I want to say it was abut 90-10 in favor of Browns fans and for a PIT-CLE game in Cleveland that says a lot.

I think blaming Peppers is comical. Personally. But you have some weird vendetta against him.

He fair caught the ball with 15 yards of green ahead of him. Browns would have been at the 40 instead of the 25. Look the local radio guys blasted him for it too. Peppers is just not a great player, and we took him over TJ Watt.

I'm just proud of the dudes that busted their ass and was deflated as fuck after the game. Garrett posted a spongebob gif catching his breath. Dude cared about winning, our team tried very hard vs the best team in our division. I'm content as ever. I think these dudes can definitely build off this one and carry it further.
It's annoying because we had opportunities to win, but overall I'm content with it. I mean shit we were down 14 with like 8 minutes left. The Browns lose that game 100% of the time. Not only that, but guys made plays. Denzel is legit. Myles is an MVP level player. Landry is legit. Gordon made a big play when he was actually given a chance. Overall, the defense is amazing and the offense is a work in progress (weather didn't help)...those are my takeaways.

Watt has like 90% of his career sacks against us

It's really fucking annoying

This reminds me of that stat that Ben has more wins in Cleveland since he's come in the league than The Browns have.

Good, solid progress. Winnable yes, but we also could have caved when it was 21-7. Watched a lot of the game. I’m glad I didn’t have the feeling to kick my dog and beat my wife after the game. I felt....calm and a little impressed.
Let’s see how the Saints game goes. If we keep up with Brees and that dangerous offense, I’ll continue to see improvement,
I’ll be a believer.

After a few hours settling in, anybody else proud of their football team today?

No.

I’m glad they’d didn’t roll over and die, but at the end of the day they still didn’t win. And this was a game on the turnover margin alone that they should have won by multiple touchdown and that really bothers me.

The reason why I’m so annoyed is because this clearly isn’t the Browns of the last two years.

There’s a LOT more talent on this team from top to bottom.

Expectations need to be adjusted. They have a playoff QB. They have a playoff OC. They have young guys emerging and veterans who’ve done it before.

I think far too many people wrote off 1-31 because they recognized that the talent level on the team even with superb coaching was only good enough to win 3-5 games each of those seasons.

Having shit coaching that costs you 3+ wins a year isn’t that big of a deal when you’re 0-16 because the alternative is 3-13 which is still dead fucking last.

But when the talent is better and has an obviously higher ceiling?

This is a 8-9 win team on talent that could legitimately fight for the playoffs with health and breaks that is going to manage to win 5-6 times because of the obvious anchor that is their coaching staff.

This team isn’t the 2016 team and it isn’t the 2017 team. They overhauled almost 70% of roster in one year. The 2018 Browns are good enough to win right now and when they don’t, it’s more than justifiable to be upset.

Last edited:
And this was a game on the turnover margin alone that they should have won by multiple touchdown and that really bothers me.

A team playing on the road vs a division rival turns the ball over 6 times with 12 penalties costing them 116 yards should lose by 3 touchdowns, minimum.

There’s a LOT more talent on this team from top to bottom.

Expectations need to be adjusted. They have a playoff QB. They have a playoff OC. They have young guys emerging and veterans who’ve done it before.

They have a playoff QB only in the technical sense that his team made the playoffs last year. He did not propel them to the playoffs in the least. Hell, he got benched for Nathan Peterman mid season, and if Peterman wasn’t a dumpster fire in his own right may have never gotten that job back.

Some of us who have logged hours and hours watching him with the Bills over the years tried to temper expectations for Tyrod this offseason. And I will reiterate to anyone who thinks his performance yesterday was weather or coaching related...this is Tyrod Taylor. He is inherently overly conservative and risk averse. He will frustrate the hell out of you in games you should win handily.

The coaching on this team isn’t great. It isn’t even good most of the time. But putting blinders on with regards to anything else about the team to solely blame coaching for everything isn’t right.

Jarvis seeing 15 targets a game is going to result in a lot of meh offensive performances.

Jarvis needs to see 6-8 targets with Gordon seeing 8+ if this offense is going to be explosive.

edit: I'm not even hating on Jarvis, he wasn't the reason we lost.

Jarvis seeing 15 targets a game is going to result in a lot of meh offensive performances.

Jarvis needs to see 6-8 targets with Gordon seeing 8+ if this offense is going to be explosive.

edit: I'm not even hating on Jarvis, he wasn't the reason we lost.

And Duke. As someone else said, we need to do a much better job of getting the ball in the hands of our playmaking receivers (and Hyde/Duke).

When Landry baited that Steeler DB into a personal foul, then the Steeler took off his helmet and threw it..... Should that have been 2 personal fouls? One was during the play, the other a dead ball foul.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."