• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Indians 2018-2019 Offseason Outlook

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Payroll Overview

(Note: Year the Indians control through, then contract situation)

Players Under Control

C - Roberto Perez (2022, $2.25 M in 2019, $3.5 M in 2020, $5.5 M team option in 2021, $7 M team option in 2022 ($450,000 buyout for both team options)
C - Kevin Plawecki (2021, $1.1 M in 2019)
1B - Carlos Santana (2021, $17 M in 2019, $17.5 M in 2020, $17.5 Club Option for 2021; Mariners will pay portion of this)
1B - Jake Bauers (2025, 575 K in 2019)
2B - Jason Kipnis (2020, $14.5 M in 2019, $16.5 M team option in 2020 - $2.5 M buyout)
SS - Francisco Lindor (2022, $10.5 M in 2019)
2B/3B - Jose Ramirez (2023, $3.75 M in 2019, $6.25 M in 2020, $9 M in 2021, $11 M team option in 2022, $13 M team option in 2023 ($2 M buyout for both team options)
IF - Max Moroff (2023, 575 K)
OF - Leonys Martin (2019, $3 M)
OF - Greg Allen (2023, 575 K)
OF - Bradley Zimmer (2023, 575 K)
OF - Tyler Naquin (2022, 575 K)
OF - Jordan Luplow (2023, 575 K)
SP - Corey Kluber (2021, $15 M in 2019, $15.5 M team option in 2020, $16 M team option in 2021 ($1 M buyout for both team options)
SP - Trevor Bauer (2021, $13 M in 2019)
SP - Carlos Carrasco (2023, $9.75 M in 2019, $10.25 M in 2020, $12 M in 2021, 2022, $14 M in 2023)
SP - Mike Clevinger (2023, 575 K in 2019)
SP - Shane Bieber (2024, 575 K in 2019)
SP - Adam Plutko (2022, 575 K in 2019)
P - Danny Salzar (2020, $4.5 M in 2019)
P - Cody Anderson (2021, 641 K)
RP - Brad Hand (2021, $6.5 M in 2019, $7 M in 2020, $10 M club option in 2021)
RP - Adam Cimber (2024, 575 K in 2019)
RP - Oliver Perez (2021, $2.5 M in 2019, $2.75 M in 2020)
RP - Dan Otero (2020, $1.3 M in 2019, $1.5 M team option in 2020 - $100,000 buyout)
RP - Tyler Olson (2024, 575 K)
RP - Nick Goody (2022, 675 K)
RP - Neil Ramirez (2020, $1 M in 2019)
RP - Jon Edwards (2023, 525 K)
RP - Nick Wittgren (2022, 575 K)

Last edited:
For me, top priorities are this:

• Try to dump Jason Kipnis and, to a lesser degree, Yonder Alonso. Kipnis is due to make $14.5 Million in 2019, but with a club option in 2020 (with a $2.5 M buyout) could be viewed elsewhere as possible expiring money. I love Kipnis, but it's time to move on, if possible, and use that money elsewhere. With Yonder, I'd honestly rather put Yandy at 1B full-time or give Bobby Bradley a chance to win the job out of Spring Training than another year of Yonder. If you stick with him one more year, it wouldn't be the end of the world though.
  • Approach Francisco Lindor again about an extension. It seems like he isn't receptive to one at all, but with a player like him, you have to keep trying aggressively.
  • Shop Roberto Perez. We'll always have the 2016 postseason, but Yan has solidified himself as the starter moving forward and Eric Haase can do just fine as a backup. I'd try to swap Perez to a catcher-needy team for a solid reliever.
  • Shift Danny Salazar to a relief role full-time. I don't know that Danny will ever stay healthy enough to be a starter, so I'd like to see him make the same shift guys like Andrew Miller and Raisel Iglesias did and become a dominant reliever. With no elite options guaranteed to come back in 2019 aside from Hand, it's worth a shot.
  • Be aggressive in improving the offense. Last offseason, we watched as Christian Yelich, Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, and others were dealt to other teams. (I know, Stanton wasn't at all reasonable to expect). There will almost certainly be more players on the move this winter that could give the offense a boost. There's also free agency, where players like Mike Moustakas, Brian Dozier, Eduardo Escobar, Daniel Murphy, Andrew McCutchen, Nick Markakis, and others will be out there. AJ Pollock is my darkhorse here - the Indians had interest in him before, and his injuries may scare some teams off from signing him.
  • Rebuild the bullpen - aside from my Salazar suggestion, the Indians will still need plenty more. Lucky for them, there is a huge free agent class of relivers. Zach Britton, Jake Diekman, Jeurys Familia, Joe Kelly, Craig Kimbrel, Adam Ottavino, David Robertson, Justin Wilson, Jerry Blevins, Brad Brach, Jesse Chavez, Tyler Clippard, Zach Duke, Kelvin Herrera, Shawn Kelley, Ryan Madson, Bud Norris, Wily Peralta, David Phelps, Fernando Rodney, Sergio Romo, Tyson Ross, Tony Sipp, Joakim Soria, Adam Warren, Greg Holland, and more.

Would be floored if they traded Kipnis.

I also expect them to non-tender Salazar. I get the vibe that they've already completely separated themselves from him. Basically haven't heard a peep about him all year long besides them announcing surgery. Not sure if there's work ethic issues that we don't see or what... but compare their response when he goes through rough times vs one of their favorite guys going through rough times (i.e. Tomlin).

Trade Ramirez for players of need; no use in tethering yourself to a fake all-star who sinks his team's chances in the playoffs every year.

I also expect them to non-tender Salazar. I get the vibe that they've already completely separated themselves from him. Basically haven't heard a peep about him all year long besides them announcing surgery. Not sure if there's work ethic issues that we don't see or what... but compare their response when he goes through rough times vs one of their favorite guys going through rough times (i.e. Tomlin).
We're going to need Salazar in that questionable pen. He just has to buy in and I'm sure he will because starting every 5 days is injuring him.

He's the hard throwing righty we need.

We're going to need Salazar in that questionable pen. He just has to buy in and I'm sure he will because starting every 5 days is injuring him.

He's the hard throwing righty we need.

I'd keep him, and his stuff would be great for the pen... I just think they'd rather allocate their $ to keeping Allen, Brantley, and Miller.

I'd be super intrigued to see how the arbitration process would play out though. With the decent career numbers + injury history would be pretty tough to gauge his value. At minimum he will make $4m (arbitration can only reduce previous salary by 20% I'm pretty sure).

Kipnis making 14.5 mil is going to be a killer in terms of improving the team next year

I agree they seem to have soured on him, but no way do they just cut bait. He was an All-Star just two seasons ago.

I'm not saying he'll be that again, but he'd draw at least some interest in the trade market if the Tribe decided to move on from him.

Last edited:

I don't think they are going to non-tender him, but I expect this to be his last chance to make the ball club and he has to do it the way the club says so. If he doesn't take the bullpen assignment when asked he will get cut/non-tendered. I am sure they will say hey, this is the plan for you going forward here and if he refuses to go with it, it is time to move on from him. I don't think he is a sure bet cut, but I think he will be on a short leash this season.

This was my post awhile back in the minor league thread asking about some minor league peeps, but it works here as well so i will repost it!

This is looking at next season, but there is likely a lot of movement on this roster for next season, so we need to look at who could be added to the 40 man roster.
Free Agents/Likely to be cut:

Tomlin, C. Allen, Miller, Merryweather (Blue Jays), O.Perez, Donaldson, Rosales, Barnes, Brantley, Cabrera, Chisenhall, Davis

On the roster bubble next season:

Edwards, Hoyt, Taylor, Otero, Guyer, Stamets, N. Ramirez, Plutko (Out of options)

Coming back from injury

Anderson, Goody, Salazar (All three I think should be ready for spring training)

Trade Candidates

Kipnis, EE

Currently cause of injuries, we have 47 people on the 40 man roster, 12 will be free agents, leaving us with automatically 35 players. I honestly expect at least 3 more to be off the roster (Hoyt, Edwards to the minors if possible and Kipnis to be traded).

Starting next offseason I expect no more than 32 players on our 40 man roster. So I want to look at candidates for the 40 man roster.

Guys like McKenzie, Sandlin, Calica, Ice, Civale, Karinchak, Morgan don't have to be protected by the 40 man roster, so you won't see any of them likely added to the first 40 man roster when the offseason starts.

My list of guys that likely will be added to the 40 man roster when the offseason starts:

1B Bobby Bradley
OF Tyler Krieger
LHP Sam Hentges

Guys who may be added:

OF Conner Marabell
OF Ka'ai Tom
LHP Ryan Merritt
RHP Kieran Lovegrove
RHP Henry Martinez

Long Shots to get added:

1B/OF Mike Papi
RHP Jake Paulson
RHP Shao-Ching Chiang
RHP Kyle Dowdy
LHP Rob Kaminsky
RHP Evan Marshall

Going into next season with really only 2-3 guys that I feel like have to be protected in from the Rule 5 draft, there is a lot of open space on this roster currently at the moment. It is quite possible if we trade Kipnis and EE a couple of those spots will be taken.

Invite from the minors who could make the team/40 man roster:

RHP McKenzie
RHP Sandlin
RHP Karinchak

RHP Civale
RHP Morgan
OF Calica

Do what you can to bring Brantley back.

Miller and Allen can both walk. I think they're both cooked and not worth throwing big money at. Donaldson is likely out of our price range, but I hope we at least try to get him.

Ty Van Burkleo and Carl Willis could both kick rocks.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."