• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mixed Martial Arts

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

As a casual MMA fan but someone who enjoys good pro wrestling, I was loving the end of that fight. Was like a fucking Attitude Era WWE ending.

And UFC has really borrowed a lot from WWE to their success. All the shit-talking, the controversy, the owner that's front and center on the broadcasts...they know exactly what they're doing.

At the end of the day, UFC won't really care about the Khabib thing because it will get people talking, and getting people talking about UFC gets people watching UFC.

I don't disagree at all.

I'm speaking more to Dana's "outrage" over what happened.

I mean, you know why the bus attack occurred, right?

Khabib and his friends jumped Artem in a fucking hotel. This is kind of a reoccurring thing for him.

Wish neither would fight for UFC ever again. It’s all fucking stupid.

Jumped him? Confronting someone in a hotel lobby and calling him out for his comments is "jumping"? Gotta disagree with that one.

He's putting on a front; behind the scenes he's celebrating this.

Should also give props to McGregor because he realized that, while you can make millions being one of the best fighters in the world, you can make hundreds of millions being one of the best fighters in the world who is also an insufferable cunt heel who everyone wants to see get his ass kicked.

See, the best heels draw by making people want to see them get their shit pushed in, and no one does that better than McGregor.

Should also give props to McGregor because he realized that, while you can make millions being one of the best fighters in the world, you can make hundreds of millions being one of the best fighters in the world who is also an insufferable cunt heel who everyone wants to see get his ass kicked.

See, the best heels draw by making people want to see them get their shit pushed in, and no one does that better than McGregor.
It's a match made in heaven. White will milk McGregor for as long as he possibly can. As long as he's putting up a good fight, and wants to be there, he'll be there.

AT this point I think Connor gets a little too much credit. I don't view him as 'crazy like a fox' anymore; that was Chael Sonnen. He knew when to pull back. Connor is just a smart asshole but he clearly does lose his cool. The bus incident was evidence of that.

Im frankly saddened by what Dana White has let McGregor turn MMA into. But then again, the fight game, whether boxing, MMA or what have you, thrives on the 'mouths'.

I personally view this a bit different than others here- I think both camps are full of shit talkers and things finally boiled over as one would expect after the various altercations. The difference is Connor and his group openly broadcast their shit while Khabib's camp appeared to be more low-key. If Dana was about maintaining civility, measures would be in place pre-fight to have prevented all of that. And he would be handing down bans to many parties, including Connor. As it is, he eats this up, so any 'bans' will be for show. The UFC version of Banksy 'shredding' his just-auctioned artwork. There will be a rematch no doubt. And it will also be followed by shenanigans... only at some point something will happen that will really soil the UFC. For now, this is making Dana more money with so many divisions failing to have any established champs.

AT this point I think Connor gets a little too much credit. I don't view him as 'crazy like a fox' anymore; that was Chael Sonnen. He knew when to pull back. Connor is just a smart asshole but he clearly does lose his cool. The bus incident was evidence of that.

But isn't that what separates him from Sonnen? Sonnen didn't draw like Connor does. Not even close. Connor is a batshit crazy loose cannon heel in a sport where there really hasn't been anyone quite like him in the past. He's basically a WWE character come to life to fight in the UFC

And people pay to see Connor because they want to watch him get beat, just like any great wrestling heel.

But isn't that what separates him from Sonnen? Sonnen didn't draw like Connor does. Not even close. Connor is a batshit crazy loose cannon heel in a sport where there really hasn't been anyone quite like him in the past. He's basically a WWE character come to life to fight in the UFC

And people pay to see Connor because they want to watch him get beat, just like any great wrestling heel.
Chael talked his way into every single title shot he got. He most definitely drew- he helped the UFC become what it is today with how he set up and talked up his fights with Anderson Silva. I think Chael's talk set the stage for Dana realizing that it was that kind of stuff could sell a ton of PPVs even when the discerning fan would shake their head at a matchup (him and Diaz brothers).

And you are spot-on about him as a wrestling heel in real life- but that is kind of pathetic, really. The wrestling heel is entertaining in wrestling b/c you know it's an act. That someone is honestly that big of an asshole in real life is really sort of sad. Again, I used to think McGregor was putting on a big act, but the whole bus incident followed even by last night... nah. He is Stampy the Elephant, MMA version.

And you are spot-on about him as a wrestling heel in real life- but that is kind of pathetic, really. The wrestling heel is entertaining in wrestling b/c you know it's an act. That someone is honestly that big of an asshole in real life is really sort of sad. Again, I used to think McGregor was putting on a big act, but the whole bus incident followed even by last night... nah. He is Stampy the Elephant, MMA version.

I still think it's an act. He's an asshole, but he's a calculating one who knows exactly how to get anyone and everyone fired up for his fights. I doubt he gives a fuck about the minor consequences for things like the bus incident because all it means is his next fight draws even more than the last one.

Chael talked his way into every single title shot he got. He most definitely drew- he helped the UFC become what it is today with how he set up and talked up his fights with Anderson Silva. I think Chael's talk set the stage for Dana realizing that it was that kind of stuff could sell a ton of PPVs even when the discerning fan would shake their head at a matchup (him and Diaz brothers).

I don’t remember anybody ever getting hyped up about a Chael Sonnen fight. He’s barely a footnote in the history of MMA.

Every time McGregor fights, it’s nothing but headlines and hype across all forms of media.

No boxing fans?
I cant be the only one hyped af about the Lomachenko fight tonight.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."