• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Indians 2018-2019 Offseason Outlook

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
They have to say that, and they probably ensured that everything was done the right way.

Likely buying the remaining tickets and distributing them to various charities and what not. But I was told by someone who would know that the game was not an actual "sell-out."

Take it FWIW

I was at the game and while the crowd was trying its best too get into it, there were a ton of empty seats. We had family deck tickets, and entire rows were empty. I think the start time + being down 2-0 really crushed a legit sellout.

Reactions: AZ_
What I'd do:

- Sign Andrew McCutchen for 2 years, $16 M. He's a solid vet, a good clubhouse presence, provides decent defense, and gives you a leadoff hitter to allow you to bump Lindor toward the middle of the lineup.
- Trade Yonder Alonso for a reliever. He looked awful in the 2nd half and I fear it will get worse next year. Dumping him offsets the McCutchen signing salary-wise.
- Trade Kipnis for a reliever. I love Kip, but he doesn't fit anymore, and his salary hurts flexibility to do other things. It's Yandy time.
- Trade with the Cardinals for Jose Martinez. He's somewhat positionless with the Cards, meaning he wouldn't cost premier prospects. He'd be a little rough at 1B, but his bat would look great in the lineup.
- Offer Cody Allen and Kelvin Herrera the same 2 year, $20 M deal and hope one takes it. I still believe Allen can be a very good reliever.
- Sign Oliver Perez for 1 year, $3 M
- Convert Salazar to a reliever.
- Give Diaz and Allen starting jobs. If they don't produce, look to replace them at the deadline.
- Let Miller, Brantley, and Donaldson walk and decline Guyer's option.
- Look at bringing back Tomlin and Chisenhall on minor league deals. Tomlin to mentor the young pitchers in Spring Training and to allow himself a showcase of sorts for other teams, Napoli-style. Chisenhall to see if he can get healthy. If they can get major league deals elsewhere, I wish them both the best.

Lineup

R-RF-McCutchen
S-2B-Ramirez
S-SS-Lindor
R-1B-Martinez
R-DH-Encarnacion
R-3B-Diaz
R-C-Gomes
L-CF-Martin
S-LF-Allen

Rotation

Bauer
Carrasco
Kluber
Clevinger
Bieber

Bullpen

Hand
Allen/Herrera
Salazar
Cimber
Perez
RP acquired with Kipnis deal
RP acquired with Alonso deal

Two very frightening statistics that Anthony Castrovince provided today:

1. The Indians’ bullpen this postseason produced the highest ERA of the past 20 postseasons with a whopping 11.70 ERA.

2. In the last seven weeks of the season and including the three playoff games, José Ramírez had the lowest OPS of any Major League qualifier at .546.

Wowzers

Stinky P respawned into the player people like myself criticized game in and game out. I seriously never thought we'd see that type of play again considering he came a long way in a short period of time. From MVP caliber to the lowest OPS of any Major League qualifier at .546.

Blows my mind that he's had 2 very awful postseasons in a row.

Couldn't believe he had such a performance after tweeting gifs how he's bored waiting. Smh.

Let me ask you guys this, who would you be willing to trade Carrasco for? Maybe to the A's for a package around like Matt Olson, Lou Trivino, and one or two minor leaguers?

Let me ask you guys this, who would you be willing to trade Carrasco for? Maybe to the A's for a package around like Matt Olson, Lou Trivino, and one or two minor leaguers?

I wouldn't trade Cookie until summer of 2020 if we are out of contention. He is my favorite Indian and has proven to be a clutch pitcher in October. In 11 innings at yankee stadium and minute maid park only giving up 2 runs, which could've been 0 if miller did his job.

I would trade Kluber, Bieber or Mckenzie over Carlos.

I wouldn't trade Cookie until summer of 2020 if we are out of contention. He is my favorite Indian and has proven to be a clutch pitcher in October. In 11 innings at yankee stadium and minute maid park only giving up 2 runs, which could've been 0 if miller did his job.

I would trade Kluber, Bieber or Mckenzie over Carlos.

Carrasco's value will be way lower next season, Kluber may have the highest value of anyone on this roster so I am not 100% opposed to trade him for the right deal, but he is also one of the faces of this franchise so trading him may hurt more than help in some ways.

Are we watching the same games? You wanna trade a guy with brass balls in the postseason atmosphere? Check his NY start in 2017, he gave us every opportunity to win. He was one of our very few good players vs Houston. You don't trade that.

Bauer
Cookie
Kluber
Clevinger

If anything you trade Bieber, he's a very intriguing player to the seller and building block.

But yeah, a big no no on trading Cookie. He has what it takes to pitch his way to a WS.

All I care about is '19-'22. Get me the best players to compete and win a WS during that time frame.

Last edited:
Are we watching the same games? You wanna trade a guy with brass balls in the postseason atmosphere? Check his NY start in 2017, he gave us every opportunity to win. He was one of our very few good players vs Houston. You don't trade that.

Bauer
Cookie
Kluber
Clevinger

If anything you trade Bieber, he's a very intriguing player to the seller and building block.

But yeah, a big no no on trading Cookie. He has what it takes to pitch his way to a WS.

I am just looking at the fact he has two years left on his deal, everyone else has a lot longer. He still has a ton of value and it will go down after this offseason. We can still make the playoffs in 19, without him since the division will still be the Indians to win. If we can get a good haul for him, I think he could be the right person to trade. This of course is just my opinion, but we may be able to find a few good young players for Carrasco, to help us long term. Olson is a solid 1st baseman in Oakland, who is 24 years old, so something around him, while we trade EE, Kipnis and Alonso as well, I think makes this team possibly just as strong if we get the right guys back.

I would think they'll just stick with the "C" logo... atleast I hope they will.
Block c until after all star game. I would think new uniforms would have to be submitted by now for next year anyway

Bauer
Cookie
Kluber
Clevinger

All I care about is '19-'22. Get me the best players to compete and win a WS during that time frame.
I’d move kluber. 20 game winner. Even if 14 wins were CSE the central. Fairly cheap. Bieber is young. Keep him
Next year
Cookie
Bauer
Clev
Bieber
Plutko

I don't trade any of our top-4 starters. Our rotation is the only thing that is going into next year projected as a significant strength.

Barring injury, there's no reason at all that Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, and Clevinger all fail to perform at a high level. I don't move one of those guys and hope that some combo of Bieber/McKenzie/Plutko REALLY steps up and keeps our rotation as a major strength.

There's no way I'm willingly moving one of those guys and throwing Adam Plutko and his 5.28 ERA/1.31 WHIP out there every five days. Dude gave up 21 HR in 76 innings last year. He's a Triple-A starter that can fill in once in a while at the big league level.

This team has elite pitching and little upper level depth. Trading it would be foolish.

Kluber has five straight seasons of 200+ innings. If I'm trading anyone, its him.

But I'm not trading anyone. This team is littered with depth at the middle and lower levels. Find a way to get it done with those assets and the few guys around the big league club whom you could move.

Greg Allen, Bradley Zimmer, Tyler Naquin, Yandy Diaz, Erik Gonzalez.

Those guys might not have the value they once had, but they could reasonably be dealt as an add-in with the right move.

This team has elite pitching and little upper level depth. Trading it would be foolish.

Kluber has five straight seasons of 200+ innings. If I'm trading anyone, its him.

But I'm not trading anyone. This team is littered with depth at the middle and lower levels. Find a way to get it done with those assets and the few guys around the big league club whom you could move.

Greg Allen, Bradley Zimmer, Tyler Naquin, Yandy Diaz, Erik Gonzalez.

Those guys might not have the value they once had, but they could reasonably be dealt as an add-in with the right move.

Guys like the ones you listed seem to always appeal to the Oakland, TB, and Miami’s of the world. Those are the teams I’d look to combine 2-3 of those guys(+ maybe a plus lower level prospect) to get a more impactful outfielder or reliever.

Agree that there is zero reason to trade any of the starting five. Maybe Salazar if some other org still believes in him as a potential high end starter. Otherwise, fully convert him to the bullpen immediately.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."